National Symphony Orchestra (Beethoven: Complete Symphonies)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Noticed this on importCDs Notice it has an Atmos mix as well. Pretty cheap for what you get.

1708796909925.png

Noticed this on importCDs Notice it has an Atmos mix as well. Pretty cheap for what you get.

View attachment 102146
Wow--certainly cheaper than buying the download bundle at NativeDSD! (Similarly bargain-priced at Presto Music and Amazon, though.) I didn't pay attention to these recordings as they were released individually over the past couple of years, although a quick search says the performances got respectful reviews, at the very least. I haven't yet found any comments about the surround mixes per se, but given that the National Symphony developed their own in-house label last year in conjunction with the people from LSO Live, whose recordings are widely admired, the mixes should be good. The NSO's George Walker Sinfonia cycle sounds fabulous in Atmos on Apple Music. The recording and mastering engineers at Soundmirror have an impeccable reputation; they've also engineers records for Cappella Romana and Reference Recordings.

You can preview the booklet here or here:
https://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/home/nso-media-label/beethoven/

Last edited:
I gave this an order a while ago - it's a very fair price - and I guess I'll hear it in a few weeks.

What's tricky is how many good Beethoven cycles there are in SACD surround. The excellent Vanska cycle was under $30 for a long time, although Amazon doesn't seem to have new copies anymore. Haitink's live cycle is under $32. The new one with Trevino/Malmo on Ondine is $40. There's another dozen or so cycles which have been done in modern surround audio, not counting the old quad ones. If people don't have one it seems like a great choice though.

I picked up a Berlin Philharmonic 2-disc Atmos set of all nine Beethoven symphonies on two blu-rays for about that price from Amazon. The surround isn't anything to write home about, but at least the 1st symphony is very nice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H62PFS4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_image
I think it sound excellent, considering its age. No gimmicks.
I actually had that in my cart until the new Noseda/National Symphony Orchestra 7 disc version box set was announced. Hope I made the right decision! Like many others, I have many versions of Beethoven's NINE ....... but couldn't resist ANOTHER!

Latest posts

Back