Need help with info re: stock disc-based surround systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgRules

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I'm looking to finally get into auto surround and could use the forums expertise.

What I'd like:
To be able to play my DVD-A, DVD-V and DTS CDs, including DVD-R's I'd make, in the newest vehicle that's possible with very good sound. If it happened to also have a USB option for if I ever get the time/inclination to digitize my collection, even better.

Based on what I've read on the forum, the 2015 Acura TLX w/ Technology package is my best bet. Was that the last year for disc-based surround? Any better options?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

The 'last year" varies by model. You can sort out the Acura ELS system details here:

I googled the 2015 TLX (press release and forum pots) and I'm afraid that despite the ELS sound system mentioned in the Tech / Advance packages is DTS CD only. They downshifted what ELS stood for. (slap in the face IMHO)

Still enjoying DVD-A here with a 2004 TL.

Thanks for the info Timbre! Very helpful but a bit disappointing. If I'm reading that thread you linked correctly, none of the Acuras supported DVD-V?

NM, it didn't take much reading down the thread to see this confirmed. Strange choice...

Thanks for the info Timbre! Very helpful but a bit disappointing. If I'm reading that thread you linked correctly, none of the Acuras supported DVD-V?

NM, it didn't take much reading down the thread to see this confirmed. Strange choice...
Actually it does makes sense since there are no screens in the sedan for video as there are in front/rear entertainment systems in some Acura SUV models.

I have Pioneer DVD-A head units in two other vehicles that support DVD-V but I've never used since I don't have passengers or monitors to bother with. If it's some audio on a DVD-V disc that I really want to have, I'll extract the content and make a DVD-A to play in the car or FLACs if using elsewhere.

Actually it does makes sense since there are no screens in the sedan for video as there are in front/rear entertainment systems in some Acura SUV models.

I have Pioneer DVD-A head units in two other vehicles that support DVD-V but I've never used since I don't have passengers or monitors to bother with. If it's some audio on a DVD-V disc that I really want to have, I'll extract the content and make a DVD-A to play in the car or FLACs if using elsewhere.

I understand, but there are lots of music/concert DVDs I have I'd like to be able to listen to- and extracting/creating adds more work on my part. Therefore, I'm now looking at Lexus instead of Acura.

Back