Neil Young DVD-Audio re-releases in stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnyhof

Since 2002/2003
Concerning the upcoming releases (On the Beach, American Stars & Bars, Hawks & Doves, Reactor), Rhino has confirmed:

"Yes, as per Neil Young's wishes, these will be stereo only DVDA's, in 176khz/24 bit."

bnyhof said:
Concerning the upcoming releases (On the Beach, American Stars & Bars, Hawks & Doves, Reactor), Rhino has confirmed:

"Yes, as per Neil Young's wishes, these will be stereo only DVDA's, in 176khz/24 bit."

176khz.... (a multiple of 44.1) that's a new one! So far haven't all the discs been multiples of 24 (48k/96/192)?

bnyhof said:

well at least it will not be the crappy surround mix they did on "Harvest"
thanks for the info .............

quadgdiaz said:
well at least it will not be the crappy surround mix they did on "Harvest".............

Crappy is an unfair description; I can listen to it just fine. The mix philosphy has been discussed here ad nauseum. Surely there's a more diplomatic term than the one used.

Besides we save that for Silverline fake surround releases; might even be their registered trademark over there...

I'll probably pick up "On the Beach" and the quality of that will determine if I get "Stars and Bars" and "Hawks and Doves"...
"Reactor" seems like a very strange choice for the hi-rez treatment as it is a very noisy album..I don't know if I would appreciate hi-rez fuzz and distortion...though I could be wrong.

Trey Anastasio's disc had stereo tracks at 24/176.4 kHz as well. There might have been one other as well.

Using 176.4 makes the work much easier when downsampling to 44.1 for future CD releases.

As far as stereo only goes for the Neil Young titles, there there are several possible reasons, the most likely one (IMO) is not having acceptable quality multi-track masters.

Regards,

GaryW said:
"Reactor" seems like a very strange choice for the hi-rez treatment as it is a very noisy album..I don't know if I would appreciate hi-rez fuzz and distortion...though I could be wrong.

One thing for sure: with such a media, you can hear fully the *intended* distorsion and not the one provided by your system. :cool:

Well, this leave only "journey..." and "times fades away" out of the digital NY discography... hope they will release it soon.

I think that it was a time issue. These albums would have taken a lot of time to remix to 5.1. This way, Neil saves face by getting these titles out "when there was something better than a CD to issue them on" like he was saying all along, and the rest of the world can get the "inferior" CDs.

I would imagine one day there will be M/C releases of some of these, as with the rest of his catalog

Hi,
I think a few people who have a panasonic dvd-a or a player like it that has the re-master feature that upsamples 44/16 to 88/24 and own the cds will check that out and either leave it in stereo or dsp it to DPLII before they invest in the stereo only dvd-a.

If you don't already have them on lp or cd it's a different story.

Is this going tobe a mini dvd-a? seems like there would be tons of wasted space unless each song is a video.

Peter m.

Back