New Blu-Ray Audio Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiburb

Ole Bull Violin Concertos Push Blu-ray’s Boundaries

2L’s promotional material says Ole Bull (1810-1880) was “An adventurer, violin virtuoso, composer and international star who brought the name of Norway to worldwide attention. Within music and drama he was a pioneer in the development of a national identity, and on the concert stage his fabulous playing skills and intense charisma early won him the sobriquet “the Scandinavian Paganini”.”

The music is recorded beautifully, in DXD 24/352.8 kHz surround sound at Jar Church in June of 2009. Both the SACD and the Blu-ray sound excellent, though I’d have to give the nod to the Blu-ray, not only because it offers mixes in dts HD 5.1 24/192 kHz, dts HD 7.1 at 24/96 kHz, and stereo LPCM at 24/192 kHz but because I also think it sounded slightly better.

More here:
http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/23164

I have had this one for a couple of weeks. I had never heard of Ole Bull but purchased it just to have something that makes these technological statements since I don't believe I have another 192kHz/24-Bit 5.1 disc. I could find no preference between SACD or Blu-ray (either 5.1 or 7.1) but that was no surprise. It is an excellent recording as far as I can tell but I will have to leave the technical review of the performance to someone else, hopefully Kal. I can say I like the music as well as any other classical surround disc I own.

Chris

I hope to play this over the weekend. I have had it for a while but my main system room is in turmoil at the moment.

Back