New Bob Dylan SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlake6659

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
So what does everyone think of these new discs. Is the SACD stereo version different on Blonde on Blonde than the one released previously by Sony?

I picked up Blood On The Tracks and Blonde on Blonde. Looks like I will be picking up more. These are excellent. Blood is my favorite Dylan lp and one of my all time favorite lps ever. With that said, right now this second, it is my favorite SACD disc, before today it was Sea Change. I might be just a little biased, but I am also amazed at how good this disc sounds. The multichannel mix really opens up the soundstage, while not being too aggressive. Usually I am for a really aggressive surround mix, but it wouldn't fit the material. Phil Ramone and Elliot Scheiner did the surround mix for Blood and for the material, IMHO, it is about as perfect as you could get. Highest Recommendation.
Blonde On Blonde sounds great too. The sonics might be a tad brighter than Blood and the surrounds a little more aggressive. Those are not complaints. Michael H. Brauer and Steve Berkowitz did the surround mix on it and they did a great job. I guess I will be getting all the 5.1 Dylans and maybe a couple of stereo ones as well. Based on these two titles, great job Sony!

Last edited:
Well I ordered a bunch from Amazon, Blood On The Tracks, Blonde on Blonde and Bringing It All Back Home. The order hasn't arrived yet so I picked 2 more up today; Another Side of BD and Highway 61 Revisited.

“Another Side Of Bob Dylan” brought to you in SACD surround. Why? I can’t understand it. Bob with his guitar and harmonica. The surround feature brings nothing to the table. The guitar is brought around the edge of the room. It could be a huge guitar. I get this mental picture of Bob playing this 20 foot guitar. In this case I prefer it in stereo as it doesn’t seem right. Thankfully, the surrounds are mixed very low and I left them that way. I can't detect any subwoofer output either. That makes sense as there is no deep bass. Now for my take on the disc. Bobs voice is generally clear and very present but still sounds recorded (as opposed to that live sound in such discs as Chicago 2), along with the guitar (which is very realistic) and the harmonica (which is a bit “hot” in rare occasions but otherwise is also very realistic). This particular recording doesn't need surround. I don't know why they picked this one for the surround treatment. I will be buying more, including stereo discs of his earlier acoustic work where surround makes no sense. It’s amazing to think that this was originally recorded in 1964. I don’t think it could be any better for that era. (y) to this series unlike the (n) I gave to the Rolling Stones reissues.

Now, "Highway 61 Revisited", in stereo. Why not surround on this one? There are a whole lot more instruments to work with. It's a bit bright in places (generally cymbals). Some songs come off better than others. "Like A Rolling Stone" is very open and all the instruments are very detailed. I can turn it up a lot louder than any previous versions that I have had. Again it's not a "You Are There" experience except some cuts like "It Takes A Lot Of Laugh......" Amazing. Remember we are still talking 1965. The bass is nice and the sound warm on this cut. It sounds like it was recorded just lately. Worth getting the disc just for this one. The rest is also worth having. It is probably as good as they could have done with the source. It's amazing. I think I said that before. Can't wait to get the electric era stuff that is surround from amazon.

Based on these two titles I would say somewhat prematurely that the remastering is exceptional and these discs are worth getting. Rolling Stones and others doing entire catalogue re-releases take note.

GaryW said:
I picked up Blood On The Tracks and Blonde on Blonde. Looks like I will be picking up more. These are excellent. Blood is my favorite Dylan lp and one of my all time favorite lps ever. With that said, right now this second, it is my favorite SACD disc, before today it was Sea Change. I might be just a little biased, but I am also amazed at how good this disc sounds. The multichannel mix really opens up the soundstage, while not being too aggressive. Usually I am for a really aggressive surround mix, but it wouldn't fit the material. Phil Ramone and Elliot Scheiner did the surround mix for Blood and for the material, IMHO, it is about as perfect as you could get. Highest Recommendation.
Blonde On Blonde sounds great too. The sonics might be a tad brighter than Blood and the surrounds a little more aggressive. Those are not complaints. Michael H. Brauer and Steve Berkowitz did the surrond mix on it and though did a great job. I guess I will be getting all the 5.1 Dylans and maybe a couple of stereo ones as well. Based on these two titles, great job Sony!

I picked up the new Blonde on Blonde SACD as well. Sounds very good. It appears that all of the work that the Sony Legacy team put in on the Dylan SACDs paid off big time.

I have not had a chance to give a good listen to the 3 that I picked up.....but I know I almost broke one trying to get it out of the digipack!
What gives with that?

There was a major story in ICE about the Dylan SACD project a couple of months ago. The criteria for which albums got a 5.1 mix was the quality and availability of multi-track tapes.

I suspect some more of these will get the 5.1 treatment within a year or so if sales, budgets, tapes and time come together...

timbre4 said:
There was a major story in ICE about the Dylan SACD project a couple of months ago. The criteria for which albums got a 5.1 mix was the quality and availability of multi-track tapes.

I suspect some more of these will get the 5.1 treatment within a year or so if sales, budgets, tapes and time come together...

Did that get posted? Any way it can!

I just went wild at BestBuy and now I have 11 of the 15. Passed on Desire, Infidels, Street Legal and Oh Mercy for now. I will try to post some more reviews once I wade through them. For Canadians, the BestBuys are selling all the Dylan discs for $15.19 due to the 20% off high rez sale this week. I believe that the sale ends Thursday at close.

Guy Robinson said:
I just went wild at BestBuy and now I have 11 of the 15. Passed on Desire, Infidels, Street Legal and Oh Mercy for now. I will try to post some more reviews once I wade through them. For Canadians, the BestBuys are selling all the Dylan discs for $15.19 due to the 20% off high rez sale this week. I believe that the sale ends Thursday at close.

Oh and the $15.19 includes Blonde on Blonde.

timbre4 said:

More Dylan Reissues are planned. The next one will be a 5.1 Surround SACD of "Bootleg, Volume 6 - Live 1964 Concert at Philharmonic Hall" which is due out on November 11th.

The Legacy staff has been pretty focused on the Dylan Remastered SACD series for some time. From what I've heard, their investment of time paid off here.

Of all the discs I have played so far, Slow Train Coming is the standout from a sonic standpoint. I happen to like the songlist as well. The surrounds are used aggresively at times. The sound is warm and not bass shy. It's that kind of disc that you crank up and sit with a smile on your face. I think this one will become my favourite Dylan disc. I had forgotten just how good it was. Dylan pours his heart out and you can tell he is really into it. Honestly, you will not believe the sound. This one is a required purchase. Don't even think about it.

Guy Robinson said:

If anyone is interested in picking up the box set with all 15 SACDs in it, CD Universe has it listed at $175.00. A GREAT DEAL, it brings it to around $12.00 a disc. I just ordered mine today, can't wait!!!!!!!

tlake6659 said:
If anyone is interested in picking up the box set with all 15 SACDs in it, CD Universe has it listed at $175.00. A GREAT DEAL, it brings it to around $12.00 a disc. I just ordered mine today, can't wait!!!!!!!

Ah but if you are Canadian that is about $18.00 Canadian a disc. For us beaver chasers the $15 Canadian a title (including Blonde on Blonde) at BestBuy can't be beat.

Guy Robinson said:

Are you implying Blonde on Blonde should be priced differently than the others?

My 2 favourites at this point after listening to 8 titles is Slow Train Coming and Freeweelin'. Both have consistently great music and also phenomenal sonics. Unfortunately I am still waiting for Blonde on Blonde, Blood On The Tracks and Bringing It All Back Home from amazon.

Guy Robinson said:
My 2 favourites at this point after listening to 8 titles is Slow Train Coming and Freeweelin'. Both have consistently great music and also phenomenal sonics. Unfortunately I am still waiting for Blonde on Blonde, Blood On The Tracks and Bringing It All Back Home from amazon.

Blonde on Blonde is a good one. You'll enjoy it when the package from Amazon arrives !

I can't believe that some people on an "alternate" forum are trashing these discs based on the fact that they were done by Sterling. The people that are doing this haven't even listened to any of them and then others jump on the bandwagon and say that they won't buy them now.

I just had to vent. It makes my blood boil.

thanks Guy for the heads up - got mine at the Yonge/Laird BB for $15ish CDN. Sweet! They are really subtle mixes, but they sound really really good.

Anybody know why Nashville Skyline wasn't made in 5.1? Since multi tracks DO exist? I have this as an SQ Quad LP, and it probably was available on Q8 too. What a dissapointment!

Back