New CD4 Cartridge and stylus is available

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a new supporting member of this forum so forgive me for this post if this is something that everyone already knows
and I am out of line with my impudence!

I seem to have difficulty finding here on this forum, in clear and direct statements, just who "today" makes Cartridges and styli that can be used for playing CD4 LPs!

So forgive me if I seem rude and crude of tone, pardon the pun, but let me clarify and make it plain as day just who does make them yet today!

Grado has assured me that the Prestige Grado Gold3 will get it done!

So I just ordered one and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival!

What I like about it is that it is not overly expensive, the stylus is user replaceable, 35 db channel separation, 5mV output and the 10 Hz to 55 kHz specs.

Unlike the Audio-Technica
that have similar specs but with a 0.3 mV output and the stylus is not user replaceable!

If I am in error, and others have made clear statements about who today makes usable cartridges and styli (that are user replaceable) for CD4 LPs then forgive me for my impudent post!
So don't beat me up for this post!

Hi and welcome to the forum! And thanks for your valuable info. I think this topic was discussed in some threads and examples for those pick ups were requested. Let me add some info to the not replaceable styli on the mentioned AT cartridge. Those ones are MC which also need additional amplification using a phono pre with MC input or step up transformer or seperate mc head amplifier compared to the MM or MI cartridges.

I believe that the Grado that you are referring to is similar to the vintage "Grado F1+". I started using it circa 1977, choosing it for it's CD-4 ability. I loved the sound quality in comparison to my Shure M91ED.

Still I always had problems playing CD-4, especially the last one or two tracks on each side. The Grado was supposed to be non-critical in CD-4 application, the Superfluxbridger design's low inductance made the use of low capacitance cables unnecessary. While that statement is likely true I would in hindsight recommend using the proper cables. Back then I didn't play around much with the anti-skating, if I had perhaps it CD-4 would have worked better for me.

The Grado model numbers and replacement styli all changed over the years. The original stylus was black with two blue dots. Latter the model number changed from F to G. The stylus was now beige but still with blue dots. Today the black stylus with blue dots is just a run of the mill elliptical. The proper replacement apparently is the black one with gold dots. It's nice that the styli for all these various vintage and new cartridges are interchangeable. It's just a bit confusing knowing if you have a vintage stylus or a new one.

Late eighties I found a deal on the Sony XL-MC3 Altmark Moving Coil Cartridge. It was not marketed as a CD-4 cartridge (why would it be, CD-4 was already dead) but it had frequency response up to 60K. Despite the need of a step up device it worked far better than the Grado ever did. Now I'm a believer in moving coils and use an Audio Technica as well as the Sony.

Vintage Grado F1+

If they offered this with a shibata or line contact stylus it would be an immediate sale for me. Michael, Let us know how it works with the eliptical stylus

Back