New Diana Krall is out and sounds great

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seaclam

I picked up her new title "The Girl In The Other Room" at the local Tower Records with ease. This is a superb recording and surround mix. I only had time to give it a quick listen-over, but I would say it's the best sounding SACD she's done yet. Granted the others are not slouches either, although I've heard the DVDA of "Love Scenes" isn't very good. VERY ROOMY and AMBIENT like her last two SACD's. You really feel like your in a small jazz club/theater when you listen to her stuff and this disc doesn't dissapoint. Every time I get another great, well done multichannel DVDA/SACD, it just makes stereo sound so un-natural. I know there are those who live by the kreed, "two ears.....to speakers ", but really human beings do hear in 360 surrround. Ok, off my soapbox......but truely, this is another tasty, multichannel, delight for the ears. :sun

Seaclam said:
I picked up her new title "The Girl In The Other Room" at the local Tower Records with ease. This is a superb recording and surround mix. I only had time to give it a quick listen-over, but I would say it's the best sounding SACD she's done yet. Granted the others are not slouches either, although I've heard the DVDA of "Love Scenes" isn't very good. VERY ROOMY and AMBIENT like her last two SACD's. You really feel like your in a small jazz club/theater when you listen to her stuff and this disc doesn't dissapoint. Every time I get another great, well done multichannel DVDA/SACD, it just makes stereo sound so un-natural. I know there are those who live by the kreed, "two ears.....to speakers ", but really human beings do hear in 360 surrround. Ok, off my soapbox......but truely, this is another tasty, multichannel, delight for the ears. :sun

I went to pick this up yesterday and it wasn't there. You would think that a release by a Canadian artist should be available within Canada on the release date. Sure lots of normal CD's but where's the SACD!!!

Regarding the DVD-A of "Love Scenes" I would say that it sounds at least as good as her SACD's.

Seaclam said:

Agreed. I like the way Al Schmitt has mixed this one. He uses the rear channels for the guitar and some of the percussion and does a nice job of using the whole surround field. Thumbs up.

Guy Robinson said:
I went to pick this up yesterday and it wasn't there. You would think that a release by a Canadian artist should be available within Canada on the release date. Sure lots of normal CD's but where's the SACD!!!

The SACD edition of the new Diana Krall album sold out pretty quickly in this area as well.

The good news is that the reorders are starting to kick in. I saw a bunch of the SACD editions back in stock at the Tower Records store in San Mateo, CA yesterday.

bmoura said:
The SACD edition of the new Diana Krall album sold out pretty quickly in this area as well.

It wasn't sold out up here. We got it a week late. We ALWAYS get stuff late!
But it was worth the wait. Great disc.

I thought the surround mix wasn't as good or interesting as her other albums but still good overall.

Another great Diana Krall recording to add to my collection.:D
Ive got Love Scenes, The Look of Love DVD-A's, and her concert DVD Vid. Just picked up this new one, and by far it's the best one yet.

I like the ambience, very palpable feeling of being there. She has one hellava voice.(y)

Savageone79 said:
I thought the surround mix wasn't as good or interesting as her other albums but still good overall.

I have not heard her others in 5.1, but this one is unreal, IMHO. Musically it's more my style. Her other stuff was too bossanova for me.

daved64 said:
I have not heard her others in 5.1, but this one is unreal, IMHO. Musically it's more my style. Her other stuff was too bossanova for me.
You sound like a purist..I can relate. This one is very night club jazz-sounding. A good recording. Love Scenes is the one I like the least. Her concert video, Live in Paris is worth it, very upbeat, swing. This new one is laid back, Stan Getz cool style.

Back