New guy here with an oddball - Magnum by Dyna-Lab

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mndwgz

Hi guys and gals, just joined to see if anybody knows what this is:

P1020632.jpg

P1020633.jpg

P1020634.jpg

P1020635.jpg

P1020637.jpg

P1020639.jpg

P1020640.jpg

Did the search thing, but not much pops up... Any ideas if this is a keeper?

Thanks Chris!

The " - " in Dyna-Lab throws the search engines off.

Sent them an email.

I just looked through some old catalogs and magazines and don't see this one at all. Maybe it was a really early unit.

There is apparently more than one "Magnum Dynalab". I remember reading about that.... somewhere/when.

This is from Magnum Dynalab's website:
"With the introduction of a simple, yet revolutionary product over 20 years ago, Magnum Dynalab's legacy began. Our incredible Signal Sleuth, designed to boost and stabilize FM signals, was launched in 1984 and eventually led to the introduction of what would become our core product line for many years; world-leading analog FM tuners for the home market."
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/history.htm

That receiver is older than that.

More digging is indicated.

edit: The name Dynalab (as well as Dyna Lab) is used by several companies. At one time, some early Dynaco products were called Dynalabs, but the above item is not one of them. There is a Canadian company that is an OEM electronics manufacturer that uses the name Dynalab, but their website says they got started in 1981, and I think that is too late for that receiver. An SQ receiver would likely have been built around the mid 70s. I will point out that the AC receptacles on the rear of that unit are not polarized, which also tends to date it to the (so-called) vintage era.

A few years back I was looking long and hard at buying a Magnum Dynalab tuner, and that was when I ran across a notation about there being more than one Dynalab out there, but for the life of me I can't remember if it was on Audio Asylum, Audigon, fmtunerinfo.com...... I am old, and have a terrific case of CRS.

Hopefully the folks at the present day Magnum Dynalab will be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
wow, the simplicity here is a thing of beauty ,gives me a sort of one with nature feeling, a time when all was right with the world. brings me back to my heathkit days. thank you for those pictures. kevin

Thanks once again for all the replies and insight on this thing. Non polarized AC receptacles, speaker circuit breakers, and robertson screws are a few of the "Kewl!" features on it.

Going to go post another old oddball in the surround thread, go have a look. ;-)

Back