New JVC 4DD-5 Delivered Today!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I am now the proud new owner of a brand new (old stock) JVC 4DD-5 CD-4 Demodulator. It was fun opening and exploring the box for the first time. It even smells good.

The CD-4 adjustment record has an ever so slight warp. I've seen people say that before about these new old stock demodultors I imagine it will be fine. It is otherwise pristine.

Now all I gotta do is get a proper cartridge/stylus together and I'll be in business.

I'm glad I went new instead of used with this. It's nice to be the first userand be able to unpack it.

I've had mine for a few months now, and it works really well, though I suspect that it will get better as it "breaks in." My record was also warped, and I had a difficult time adjusting the separation as a result, so I just used my Fisher disc and I'm good to go. I also have a Sansui adjustment record for my QRX-6001. The 4DD-5 is every bit as good as the Sansui demodulator, BTW. Have fun with yours! Oh, I almost forgot, I just got a sealed CD-4 disc of Godspell Original Broadway cast recording from eBay. I'm going to listen to it tonight! :)

So the warped record caused issues setting up the seperation? (I have not played with mine yet as I am still deciding on a cartridge setup) How warped was yours? Mine only has an ever so slight bow. I was thinking that the warp should not be big enough to effect the seperation. Especially since I'm going to be using a linear which should track the groove pretty well even under non-perfect conditions. If a slight bow in the record (and I really do mean slight) can cause issues with setup. I may want to seek out another CD-4 adjustment record soon.

And have fun playing that Godspell record for the first time. Should be pretty ideal conditions. New record. Fairly new demodulator. I have a used copy of Black Sabbath Paranoid on the way, plus I have some other discs I've been collecting for the day I can play CD-4

So the warped record caused issues setting up the seperation? (I have not played with mine yet as I am still deciding on a cartridge setup) How warped was yours? Mine only has an ever so slight bow. I was thinking that the warp should not be big enough to effect the seperation. Especially since I'm going to be using a linear which should track the groove pretty well even under non-perfect conditions. If a slight bow in the record (and I really do mean slight) can cause issues with setup. I may want to seek out another CD-4 adjustment record soon.

Actually, I misspoke. My issue was getting the 30kHz carrier signal properly adjusted, and my record was very warped. So much so, that I just couldn't make the adjustment fast enough, and I had a "gritty" sound that I was able to get rid of once I used the unwarped disc. The Sansui disc I have has a slight warp, and I had no problems using that on my Sansui, so the degree of warp seems to make a difference.

Back