New program to seperate instruments in tracks

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but then you'll have a million people doing a million mixes and re-mixes...
Everyone will try to be a "mixologist" with about 80 percent turning out crap trying to convert
everything that talks.
In the right hands though, it could be a wonderful thing!
Like upmixes... there are a select few who do an amazing job and do it with heart and can be almost as good as a pro job.
(Some "pro jobs" are upmixes!)
But then there are those....

This is a great thing if it works! And it would be a very good thing to have a whole movement of folks creating their remixes in whatever form. Certainly if what folks mix is not the greatest at first, the interest and hobby can only "up" everyone's skills and promote surround with an interest in how music sounds. Which in turn will open up and fuel new markets.

Until you show me it works, and works easily, this is a non-starter. Then will come the matter of cost.

I think it's Sonicworx that allows you to separate parts via drawing circles around frequency ranges, etc. Zeerround gave it a shot, but it took forever, was not very user-friendly, extremely expensive, and wasn't worlds better than what SPEC could do.

Trust me......I'd LOVE for someone to give me the technology to completely isolate a reverbed vocal track, or something of that sort, and keep it cleanly out of the rears when I create a mix.

$500 for DTS Neural Upmix, and does it even do half of what SPEC can do? Of course not. The tools to do the work are out there already, and it's those using them and putting in the effort to improve and get better who complain the least about "where's my surround?" Those who use the one-button solutions BSquires refers to? Absolutely making it tougher for everyone else.

Is it possible that SPEC might do the same type of instrument extraction to individual sounds as this software claims if does? I was thinking eventually that most if not all music software was going in this direction at some point...

Yes, the question is how well does this .rip software work and sound. But this is an exciting trend. Many possibilities here obviously.

Is it possible that SPEC might do the same type of instrument extraction to individual sounds as this software claims if does? I was thinking eventually that most if not all music software was going in this direction at some point...

Yes, the question is how well does this .rip software work and sound. But this is an exciting trend. Many possibilities here obviously.

Well, we don't know how much is possible with anything other than the BBC theme. :)

SPEC doesn't try to isolate instruments. The assumption is that it'd be highly difficult to tell the difference between one instrument with another when there's overlapping frequencies, etc.

At the current price, I may own this program by the end of the week and will report back. In the meantime, a few of us will probably tinker with the free version. I think there's possibilities between all the tools available to make something work. Like I said, gotta try this out on a variety of music and see if these guys can do what it pretty damn impossible to do so far.

that's interesting but as i can see he's talking mainly about mash-up mixes.
is it can save extracted particular elements to separate tracks?
is this software does have multitrack mixer which is essential tool in the creation of new surround mix?

that's interesting but as i can see he's talking mainly about mash-up mixes.
is it can save extracted particular elements to separate tracks?
is this software does have multitrack mixer which is essential tool in the creation of new surround mix?

Plenty of other software have mixers for that purpose. This would, potentially, be part of the solution, not the entire solution. You could mix with any DAW out there.

He is talking mashups but, if there were some good isolations to be found, they could either be used on their own or mixed in with SPEC output for creation of a 5.1 mix.

Again.....this is all massively premature. Let's see this sucker in action first.

Haven't opened it up yet, but a couple of other guys in the upmixing community have. Initial opinion is that there's nothing to see here. It isolates what it "thinks" are different instruments according to frequency range and is pretty hit or miss, pretty much like any piece of software claiming this same thing. I'm not surprised. If someone claims something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :)

I'll get to this free version at some point.

About 20-30 minutes to analyze a 3 1/2 minute song on a decent PC. Massive resource hog. Ridiculous Atari 5200-like graphics in the background the entire time. Once you get there, the thing is a garbled mess. Move on.

Yeah, this software is unfortunately a joke. Too bad..

maybe the fact that he tested with mp3s, and really only showed us one song, were hints.

like i said, someone promises you something that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :)

I don't know if it's going to make any significant enhancements from the version you guys tried but at least I though you'd like to know that...

Hit'n'Mix 2 Release Announced

Hit'n'Mix Ltd is pleased to announce the release of Hit'n'Mix 2 later this year. Aimed more towards professionals than the first groundbreaking release, this promises to offer much improved audio quality. A Mac OS X version is to be released around the same time.

What's more, it will be a FREE upgrade to all original Hit'n'Mix version owners.

More details coming soon!
http://www.hitnmix.com/news_and_reviews.php

I don't hold out much hope for this program whatsoever. The initial results were so off the mark, I don't see how they could do it.

We are talking about separating instruments from within the same exact frequency range. It's just not going to be easy to do with any current technology. If I'm going to trust anyone to get this right, I'm going to trust Zeerround to do it, as he's the one working tirelessly to improve the quality of upmixing without trying to make a dime off it.

I don't know if it's going to make any significant enhancements from the version you guys tried but at least I though you'd like to know that...

http://www.hitnmix.com/news_and_reviews.php

Back