Newbie questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilblackspider

I am new here, and seriously considering getting into quad. I have heard the stories about the Pink Floyd records in quad, and various other things. How can I get into it with a low budget?

A friend said that I need a turntable wired for quad, but everywhere else I looked does not mention that. I have a Dual 1219 turntable. Will it work for future quad explorations?

I also know of the Grado blue cartridge, and that Grado cartridges have a large fanbase among quad fans. I also know that these are fairly inexpensive, considering (for example, I can find a Grado blue for roughly $25 to 50 US).

What receiver would you guys recommend? I'd like to get some CD-4 records as well, since the channels are discrete.

Gimme some advice! I'm a noob!

Hi, and welcome!
There are 2 ways to get into quad:
1. get a quad receiver, Sansui QRX models or Marantz to name a few
2. get a new surround receiver plugged with external vintage quad processors.

Speakers should be equal with each other both in sound and power.
Quad doesn't require a special turntable to enjoy matrix quad formats, but if you want to get into cd4 you should look for a good cartridge with shibata or better stylus (no elliptical)

There's a very good thread about getting into quad (search button is your friend :) )
Here

For CD-4 and UD-4 LPs you can also use a Micro Ridge stylus,
or sometimes they are called Nude Square Shank Hyper Elliptic.
We use them here at the Archives when we cannot get true Shibata.

This also works for the few Mintner Supersonic Stereo LPs that came
out in the late 50s---they were still working on vertically compliant
cartridges, so the Mintner system is basically CD-2 instead of CD-4.
Both the stereo channels were lateral and could therefore ``supposedly''
be played on a conventional cartridge and demodulated.

Too bad nobody told anybody the heavy arms and conical styli of the period
stripped away the carrier wave....

This also works for the few Mintner Supersonic Stereo LPs that came
out in the late 50s---they were still working on vertically compliant
cartridges, so the Mintner system is basically CD-2 instead of CD-4.
Both the stereo channels were lateral and could therefore ``supposedly''
be played on a conventional cartridge and demodulated.

Just what the guy needed to know! jeezzz!

I am new here, and seriously considering getting into quad. I have heard the stories about the Pink Floyd records in quad, and various other things. How can I get into it with a low budget?

A friend said that I need a turntable wired for quad, but everywhere else I looked does not mention that. I have a Dual 1219 turntable. Will it work for future quad explorations?

I also know of the Grado blue cartridge, and that Grado cartridges have a large fanbase among quad fans. I also know that these are fairly inexpensive, considering (for example, I can find a Grado blue for roughly $25 to 50 US).

What receiver would you guys recommend? I'd like to get some CD-4 records as well, since the channels are discrete.

Not sure about the 1219 maybe some Dual lover can comment, many of the Dual TT's were cd-4 capable.
http://www.dual-reference.com/tableinx.htm

Last edited:
The ways into quad can be many. A list of CDs encoded with the SQ or QS matrix is available here, and these can be run thru various decoders. So those can be used on a new system. Pro logic 2 will do a good job on the QS titles. The best QS decoder is in Sansui products. The 9001, 7001 are the best for QS. SQ, the best is a Tate Fosgate add on unit. For CD-4 wait untill a member here releases his new CD-4 decoder he is developing, and he will offer a cart to go along with it. Start picking up the lps and cds while you aquire the equipment. There is a discography in the links here to get ya started!

Back