Nice to know they exist, but...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werno

In the current issue of Tape Op magazine there’s a long interview with Bob Clearmountain, mixing master of many classic albums. In the midst of multiple pages of techy reminescence came this exchange:

“ There was a lot of experimentation, as well as a lot of trial and error when it came to various effects. I wish everybody could hear that in surround. Everything I’ve done in the last 15 years I’ve also done the surround mix for. That record, in particular, has some pretty incredible-sounding surround environmental sounds. I don’t spin elements around in the room, or pan crazily. I like the feeling of being in the middle of the music. Maybe someday somebody will hear it other than me.

>This ties into what you’re saying; you want to live in the song.

Yeah. I’ve got a massive hard drive full of surround sound mixes that no one’s ever heard. Hopefully people will hear them someday.”

Dystopian view of music industry re surround confirmed. Crowdfunding time, folks.

Tape Op magazine, BTW, is somethings I just started getting in email, then hard copy started showing up in my mailbox. Never been asked to pay for it, guess it’s supported by advertising. For anyone interested, go to tapeop.com

So what is Clearmountain’s discography over the last 15 years?

Not to be an old fuddy-duddy, but there’s not really a whole lot of music from the last decade-and-a-half that I’m all that interested in.

Although I guess if it was released in surround I could be more persuaded to check it out. :)

Back