No Show Flag

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Checked for James Taylor Flag today. Not at Best Buy (as expected, since they have not even got one new CBS title yet this year), not at Circuit City, and not even at Media Play (this is a 1st). Haven't checked Virgin but at their prices may as well not bother. I was tempted by Beethoven's 9th on DGG dvd-audio at Media Play for $16.99 (stereo only), but left without it.

narcopolo said:
Checked for James Taylor Flag today. Not at Best Buy (as expected, since they have not even got one new CBS title yet this year), not at Circuit City, and not even at Media Play (this is a 1st). Haven't checked Virgin but at their prices may as well not bother. I was tempted by Beethoven's 9th on DGG dvd-audio at Media Play for $16.99 (stereo only), but left without it.

I suppose it depends on the Best Buy. Here in Silicon Valley, Flag and Dad Loves His Work as well as the new Streisand and The Thorns SACDs are all available at the local Best Buy stores in San Carlos and Union City as well as the Tower Records store in San Mateo.

If you can't get them locally, don't forget the web sites that carry SACDs like Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds (among others). They have them in stock as well.

I got mine (pictured above) at the Best Buy in Newington, CT. The large BB, in Manchester, CT, only had "Dad". Interestingly enough, while the Manchester store had 5 copies of "Dad" and no "Flag"s, the Newington store only had one of each, and I got it! :D

BTW - Both are REALLY discrete, and super sounding discs.

JonUrban said:
I got mine (pictured above) at the Best Buy in Newington, CT. The large BB, in Manchester, CT, only had "Dad". Interestingly enough, while the Manchester store had 5 copies of "Dad" and no "Flag"s, the Newington store only had one of each, and I got it! :D

BTW - Both are REALLY discrete, and super sounding discs.

Flag appeared in the Best Buy stores around here a week after the Streisand and Dad Loves His Work SACDs. (Same week as The Thorns SACD came out).

On the sonics, I agree - both of the new James Taylor Surround Sound SACDs are excellent !

Picked up Flag today at Best Buy.

Note: Always check CD bins for SACD's, esp new hybrids. GYBR deluxe set was a no-show in SACD section, but girlfriend found bunches in with the old technology (CDs).

Problem was VERY long lines at checkout (why?).
Solution: Befriend the home theater guys. They have a register and they're not afraid to use it. :)

eggplant said:
Picked up Flag today at Best Buy.

Note: Always check CD bins for SACD's, esp new hybrids. GYBR deluxe set was a no-show in SACD section, but girlfriend found bunches in with the old technology (CDs).

Problem was VERY long lines at checkout (why?).
Solution: Befriend the home theater guys. They have a register and they're not afraid to use it. :)
I finally found this at Best Buy yesterday for $14.99.. in the regular CD section. Sounds sort of muddy but good music anyway.

narcopolo said:
I finally found this at Best Buy yesterday for $14.99.. in the regular CD section. Sounds sort of muddy but good music anyway.

Muddy! Man I don't hear that. Flag sounds a bit digital in comparison to Dad Loves His Work but still has phenomenal detailing and sound quality. For the absolute epitome of sonics on a James Taylor disc (at least of the ones currently available) pick up "JT". The presence in his voice (coming out of the centre) is absolutely astounding.

Guy Robinson said:
Muddy! Man I don't hear that. Flag sounds a bit digital in comparison to Dad Loves His Work but still has phenomenal detailing and sound quality. For the absolute epitome of sonics on a James Taylor disc (at least of the ones currently available) pick up "JT". The presence in his voice (coming out of the centre) is absolutely astounding.

Actually the same engineer handled all 3 of those Taylor SACDs (Nathaniel Kunkel). As for the best of the James Taylor Surround SACDs, I actually like Hourglass myself. But if you like James Taylor, they're all worth a listen.

I really like the James Taylor SACDs, and except for "October Road", they all have very discrete placement of vocals and instruments, with JT in the center speaker. The "Hourglass", "JT", "Flag", and "Dad Loves His Work" discs, to me, are great 5.1 demos.

JonUrban said:
I really like the James Taylor SACDs, and except for "October Road", they all have very discrete placement of vocals and instruments, with JT in the center speaker. The "Hourglass", "JT", "Flag", and "Dad Loves His Work" discs, to me, are great 5.1 demos.

On the Surround Mixes I would agree. October Road's Surround Mix is a bit too subtle for my taste compared to the others.

No JT or Thorns at the Best Buy or Frys in North San Diego county. Nor have I seen the REM best of, or about half of the remastered Dylan catalog (I really want a copy of "Bringing It All Back Home"!)

Frys is especially disappointing since their prices beat BB by about $3, but their selection stinks... only maybe one each of any DVD-A disc, but loads of DTS Entertainment titles.

Seems like these guys are lagging big time.

Clark

ClarkNovak said:
No JT or Thorns at the Best Buy or Frys in North San Diego county. Nor have I seen the REM best of, or about half of the remastered Dylan catalog (I really want a copy of "Bringing It All Back Home"!)

Frys is especially disappointing since their prices beat BB by about $3, but their selection stinks... only maybe one each of any DVD-A disc, but loads of DTS Entertainment titles.

Seems like these guys are lagging big time.

Clark

Here in Silicon Valley, the Fry's stores do have The Thorns Surround SACD in stock. I'm not sure if they're carrying the new James Taylor and Barbra Streisand Surround SACDs.

As for Best Buy, the San Carlos Best Buy has all of the Surround SACDs you mentioned - Dylan, JT, Flag, Dad Loves His Work and The Thorns.

Back