No - We do not and will not stock Quad records

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were 7 places to get Quad records in Iowa City:
1: Musicland (Sycamore Mall) [largest selection - ordered 2 CD-4s from them]
2: Discount Records (Downtown) [owned by Musicland - good selection, ordered 1 SQ and 1 or 2 CD-4s from them]
3:Team Electronics (Sycamore Mall) [don't recall buying any Quad records from them]
4:Harmony Hall(?) (Downtown) [small selection - ordered the Levine/Mahler CD-4 {technical reason - the stereo version was 1 disc, due to a CD-4 mastering issue, the CD-4 was 2 discs}]
5:{don't recall record store name} (Downtown) [small selection]
6:Kmart [very small selection - mentioned purchase earlier in thread]
7:Radio Shack [a few SQ records, Full Spectrum was 1]

Kirk Bayne

Woolco later became Walmart , but alas no Q8'S just some live Dolby Surround cds. We did have Kmart here as well.
Woolco / Woolworth had some quad records mixed in with the stereo releases. The second Quad that I ever bought came from the local Woolworth Department Store, "Sly & the Family Stone - Greatest Hits". In the late seventies I found a number of Quads in the cut-out bin, as well a large number of Q8's.

Our Woolworth Department Store was latter rebranded as Woolco. Walmart didn't purchase the local store because it had a union. Latter it became a Zellers. HBC sold it's Zeller's stores to Target. We didn't get a Target store either. The Canadian Target didn't have the same deals as the US stores and was quickly shut down. We did get a Walmart at a new location but I really miss Zellers and Woolco!

Last edited:
Actually, the 2nd time I asked "where are the Quad records" the result was much better - I was in a Mall record store in CO (not a major chain) in 1978-06 - the clerk said they had just moved them all to the back room to send them back - they let me go into the back room and go through them - I found and bought the German SQ DSotM (my first imported LP).

It was the mid-80s before I heard the stereo mix of DSotM (on CD).

Kirk Bayne

I wasn't around in the 70's. But I do remember in the early 2000's when our little rural mountain town got a Canadian Tire; they used to have an Audio/Video section. They had a "special" section and that's where I got my first DTS CD's: Band on the Run, Fly like an Eagle and Not Fragile. I had just learned about Quad and this funny little website on the internets used to talk about Quad mixes on these new CD's. So, I bought these discs with what little money I had. It would be a few more years before I gained the capability to actually hear them! Don't know where my Band on the Run disc wound up, but I still have Eagle and Fragile kicking around.

Funny thing was, nobody knew what the heck these discs were. Even the people at Canadian Tire SELLING THEM had no idea what they were or how to play them. A couple years later, they pulled out of the Audio/Video market altogether.

I do remember as a children in the 80's.... the next town over had a Kresge's right smack in the middle of downtown. Three stories worth and they even had an elevator! (Hey, to 6-year-old me, that was like going to the Moon!) Kresges' audio section was on the top floor and they had 8-tracks well into the early 90's. Mum had a Valiant and the old man had a GMC pickup - both had aftermarket 8-track decks. Tapes were $1-$2, some would go on sale for .79 cents. But back then, I'd never had known what a Quad tape was. I had an uncle with a powder blue '74 Continental Mark IV with the factory Quadrasonic deck. I remember as a kid asking what that was all about but neither my father or my uncle had any idea.

I often compare growing up here in the 80's was like growing up anywhere else in the 1970's. We had ONE AM radio station. Two-and-a-half tv stations.... (CBC, BCTV and on a good day, MAYBE KXLY out of Spokane.) No internet. Incomplete encyclopedia sets. School books that had our parents' names in them and history books that didn't know how Vietnam ended.

Those were the days, children. Those were the days....

I often compare growing up here in the 80's was like growing up anywhere else in the 1970's. We had ONE AM radio station. Two-and-a-half tv stations.... (CBC, BCTV and on a good day, MAYBE KXLY out of Spokane.) No internet. Incomplete encyclopedia sets. School books that had our parents' names in them and history books that didn't know how Vietnam ended.

Those were the days, children. Those were the days....
I spent the summer of 1965 on a hay farm in (well, sorta close to) Francois Lake (pronounced “Francis”), and they had a hand-crank telephone.

I spent the summer of 1965 on a hay farm in (well, sorta close to) Francois Lake (pronounced “Francis”), and they had a hand-crank telephone.

We only had to dial 5 numbers for a local until ALL the mechanical exchanges were removed in the early 2000's.
So if I wanted to phone mum at work, dial 5, then four numbers - anything within the local 365 exchange only required 5 numbers. BUT, say I wanted to direct dial my friend outside town limits, I had to dial 399-4183.

Relatives who remained on the communal farm way out in the boonies.... they had a PARTY LINE until they brought in Touch-Tone phones in the 90's.

Yes folks, that's how backwoods Canada really is. Touch tone in the 90's.

I can recall when the local AM station was about to switch to FM. It made front page news in the Castlegar Sun that the townsfolk were revolting (and they were bitching about the radio station, too! 😁 ) Hey, we were dirt poor, rural mountain folk. Mum drove her 1975 Valiant until 1993!! It only had an AM-radio. Other folks were beside themselves screaming "We'll have to buy new cars to listen to radio!"

So, as you could imagine, Quad didn't make a big splash in my hometown.

I remember frequenting a Sam Goody’s store on the east side of Manhattan near 42nd Street. They had a healthy stock of quad LPs back in the day. I was a college kid working part time at the Grand Central Post Office. Going to Sam Goody’s during my break and checking out the AR stereo display at Grand Central Station on my way in to work were both pleasurable experiences that I’ll never forget.

I don't think I'd ever went into a record store and asked if they had quad records. I always went in and scoped it out myself. If they had any I would find them. In used stores they sometimes had them right next to the "audiophile" bin.

California had White Front stores that had separate wire bin for quads.
I didn't know what they were so ignored them :(.
I got a Sylvania semiconductor catolog that had several chips for quad in early 80's,
it peaked my interest and I built a simple SQ decoder from one, but it didn't work that well.
That started my 10+ years of going to swap meets and pawn shops and record stores all over L.A. area.
I collected over 300 Q8's and 200 albums, half of which I sold on Ebay in early 2000s
I passed on numerous sealed copies of Doors Greatest and others, Tower Records had
lots of cutout lps and Q8s.
My first quad was Doobies Toulouse Street, and I still have it Q8.
Currently I'm repairing the remaining Q8s with new foam and splices. In the process re-listening to stuff I hadn't heard since 1980s and 90s.
I use a small Avery label to tell me what I've done to tape and 1984 and 1996 are the dates of
most previous repairs.

In workin on my Q8 I found several designs for RCA, one type with the red twist screw and one type with no screw or tabs, it looks like maybe glued, which maybe reason I never touched it.
Anyone know best way to open or just repair splice not opening tape?
I was quickly reminded why I don't play them too often, 2 tapes started to wrap around capstan.
I caught one in time the other got small amount of tape rumpled.
I also noticed some come out of center go across angled bridge and front post, capstan roller and back to spool, but some come ot center and go to straight edge of the guide bridge and after roller continue around both back posts before going to spool. This seems like more drag
and wear to tape, any thoughts?

Back