NOS Victor quad pre-amp, power amp and EQ - original boxes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidgit

Found a NOS Victor MCM V9 quad power amp, MCP-V9 quad pre Amp, SEA-V7 quad EQ.
Came with the matching tuner stereo MCT-V7B
Such a beautiful set.
Will be connecting to a quad Pioneer 1020L reel to reel for which I have a few classic quad recordings from etsy.com

Havent yet wired the speakers (moving house) but will update on the sonics soon

Attachments

• AF73240D-18FA-4EB0-9B90-92B4CD966A60 2.JPG
    AF73240D-18FA-4EB0-9B90-92B4CD966A60 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1907.jpg
    IMG_1907.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1916.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1915.jpg
    IMG_1915.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
Found a NOS Victor MCM V9 quad power amp, MCP-V9 quad pre Amp, SEA-V7 quad EQ.
Came with the matching tuner stereo MCT-V7B
Such a beautiful set.
Will be connecting to a quad Pioneer 1020L reel to reel for which I have a few classic quad recordings from etsy.com

Havent yet wired the speakers (moving house) but will update on the sonics soon
That is very cool. Congratulations! How did you run across this?

Hi, new member, and congrats on such a classic find! I hope it’s all in working condition. Sitting in a box for decades can be tough on electronics, so I hope you’re one of the lucky ones.

I moved to a new house about five years ago, and my gear was in storage for about two years during the house-hunting perios and building up my room. It can be frustrating to wait for the moment when you get to hear the good stuff again. Maybe you’ll post pictures of the room in progress.

I've never seen a 4 channel pre amp and power amp like these.

Definitely looks like JDM models. I don't think they used JVC on JDM stuff.

I've never seen a 4 channel pre amp and power amp like these.

Definitely looks like JDM models. I don't think they used JVC on JDM stuff.
Thanks for this information - what is JDM? Japanese-only models?

Love the JDM Tuner! I only wish the FCC would have made it mandatory for US TV stations vacate this freq range from 76 to 87.7 MHz during the transition to Digital TV. Either more FM analog stations or something like DAB in Europe.

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.

Love the JDM Tuner! I only wish the FCC would have made it mandatory for US TV stations vacate this freq range from 76 to 87.7 MHz during the transition to Digital TV. Either more FM analog stations or something like DAB in Europe.

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread.
Worth noting that Japanese electrical,power is 100VAC, so it’s possible that plugging a piece of gear intended for that market into 125VAC could damage it. It happened to me once, aometimes it just ran a little hot, or it might be OK. If there’s a fan or other mechanical parts, I’d be careful.

Worth noting that Japanese electrical,power is 100VAC, so it’s possible that plugging a piece of gear intended for that market into 125VAC could damage it. It happened to me once, aometimes it just ran a little hot, or it might be OK. If there’s a fan or other mechanical parts, I’d be careful.
I remember back when the Sony CDP-101 First appeared in Japan. To drop the voltage to 100v from 120, use a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in line.

But that’s not going to work for an amp. A variable AC power supply will do the job.

I remember back when the Sony CDP-101 First appeared in Japan. To drop the voltage to 100v from 120, use a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in line.

But that’s not going to work for an amp. A variable AC power supply will do the job.
I used a variac when I needed to.

I have a couple of NOS Hammond transformers, one is a 169C (isolated) the other a 168B (autotransformer, not isolated). I love Hammond, their old products are mostly still manufactured and here in Canada! Rather expensive if you need higher current but readily available and high quality! The picture is the original box of one of my transformers.
Scan-240310-0003.jpg

Attachments

• 168.pdf
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 169 (1).pdf
    166.6 KB · Views: 0
So I don't know much about vintage quad equipment, let alone vintage Japanese stuff, so I'm asking those who know? Why doesn't equipment destined for the Japanese market have Japanese labeling?

That's a good question. I think it's somehow a cultural thing, an admiration of certain attributes of the West if you like. Perhaps most Japanese have a very basic knowledge of English, enough to operate sound equipment with Latin characters. Similarly, cars meant for the Japanese market do not have Japanese characters on the dashboard, except for non standsrd controls.

Left had drive imported cars are seen as a status symbol in Japan, a right hand drive country, probably because they are seen as different.

That's a good question. I think it's somehow a cultural thing, an admiration of certain attributes of the West if you like. Perhaps most Japanese have a very basic knowledge of English, enough to operate sound equipment with Latin characters. Similarly, cars meant for the Japanese market do not have Japanese characters on the dashboard, except for non standsrd controls.

Left had drive imported cars are seen as a status symbol in Japan, a right hand drive country, probably because they are seen as different.
English is almost a universal language, used as a second or third language almost everywhere. Unless equipment is to be made with different labeling for each country English seems like a good choice. I have seen equipment with German labeling made for the German market which I thought was rather cool!

Japanese symbols being more intricate might wear making them illegible!

I suspect that you are largely correct that it is in part a cultural thing and admiration of the west. Just like the big round eyes in anime.

FM is 87.5 to 108 MHz in Europe and DAB is 174 to 240 MHz , there's nothing for consumers from 76 to 87.7. Japan appears to be the only country with consumer broadcasts in that range.

I noticed in the photos a step down transformer is being used.

Regarding the point on Japanese language use for labels...there are quite a number of products for sale there that have only Japanese writing, by companies like Sony, which confuses matters even further.

Latest posts

Back