Old school but new to Quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenaibo

I just purchased a Technics Sa 8000x and am interested hooking up conventional cd player and splitting the signal between front and rear and running four speakers that way, any comments?

The receiver should have a "matrix" or "SQ" mode. Just plug the CD player into the Front LEFT and Front RIGHT connectors, then select MATRIX or SQ or QS. You don't have to connect it to all 4 inputs.

Thanks Jon,, I am curious about the quad setup possibilites and have read a little but I have never seen a cassette or turntable with four outputs. I only have two speakers now so these are just pipe dreams but down the road? What would be a good cassette and or turntable with this cd4 ability?

If you go to EBay and search quadr*phonic turntable (the * is for alternate spellings), you should get a few units to consider.
As a general rule, with CD-4 you need a CD-4 capable cartridge (see this forum for recommendations) and low capacitance cables.
You can then check with this forum for further recommendations. You will find the members of this forum to have in depth information concerning this as well as other parts of the greater whole we call Quad.

MTGC (Michael)

Welcome to quadraphonics and I urge you to do more reading. Enough so that you understand the various ways to go about assembling a quad system and how the different methods work.

That way, you will be able to decide how you want to go about getting quad in a meaningful way without confusion or at least the minimum amount of confusion :^)

Do a google search for quadraphonics and read all that is available on the main hits, especially how the different systems work - SQ, QS, CD-4, and tape.

Please take this as friendly advice. Quad is complicated enough that it really helps to have an understanding first.

We old quad guys had to go through this years ago and it is good.

Doug

I'm partial to the DUAL 1229Q.
Dave

Thanks Jon,, I am curious about the quad setup possibilites and have read a little but I have never seen a cassette or turntable with four outputs. I only have two speakers now so these are just pipe dreams but down the road? What would be a good cassette and or turntable with this cd4 ability?

There does exsist a turntable with four outputs, it's made by JVC and it has a built in CD-4 demodulator. And there are some cheapo ones as well. Only the JVC is worth bothering with. However, it is better to use a separate demodulator.

Back