Oldie is a newbie

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obbop

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Whaddya' expect from the hombre who stuck with vinyl and tape for what? 14 years after CD audio was first released before buying a CD player?

Yep..... the old Obbop broke down and bought a Sony DVD player after seeing the ourchasing and rental costs of DVD video reaching VHS prices. There's a subtle cheap thrill in being waaaay behind the "technology curve." Heckaroo, I stuck with a Pentium 200 MMX until a year or so ago when I made a "Great Leap Forward" (shades of Chairman Mao!!!!!) and bought an old stock mammaboard and a used Pentium 3 cpu so as to only be 4 years behind the "computer curve."

Anyway...... the Sony DVD player also has SACD circuitry. Not wanting to spend megahours absorbing info to determine what to do I place my tender aged corpulent body in thine hands.

If any of you modern-day technodudes can briefly offer suggestions as to what route to take I would be quasi-eternally grateful.

Should I purchase a receiver and hook up all the speakers? I am not a bassaholic so would likely forego a subwoofer. I am not enamored with home theater so don't need to go that route.

Should I use the unit to play SACD audio discs? Is that format dying out? Should I use it just for DVD video and wait a few more years before buying the "best" newfangled surround sound format?

Any and all comments, snide remarks, burps and groans and any udder input invited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah.

Obbop moves into the next century!

Well, you have the 5.1 outs of the player, you could take the F,R,FS,RS into a quad receiver, but you would miss the info in the center channel, which in many cases on an SACD is the lead vocal! :eek:

However, you could do this without any additional expense, and it would be fun! :banana:

Still, to get a new receiver with 5.1 ins, and a center speaker, would cost $$.

As for SACD discs, get them while you can. Get the ones you are interested in. They may not be around much longer in any large supply. Of course, I'm not talking the classical and such, I mean the stuff like Billy Joel, Aerosmith, etc.

So............... is SACD a dying format??? If it is I won't mess with it. Has there been a winner in the "audio war"??? Is there something new on the horizon that will usurp all that is currently present in the modern surround sound arena???

I am not in any hurry to jump into the modern surround sound. I can wait a decade.... or two. My first desire is to garner the tender that is legal and get the awesome majestic Bob de la Quad to revamp my tired QRX-9001.

So...... keep those cards and letters coming, folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Almost certainly your SACD player has the ability to downmix the centre channel and the subwoofer so you can run it in quadraphonic (y) Anyway, all multichannel SACDs have a stereo SACD track too if you want to slum it in 2 channel mode :D

If SACD does die on its arse in the future at least you'll still be able to play your hybrid SACDs on normal CD players! Lets hope it doesn't because its a bloody fantastic format :)

mandel said:
Almost certainly your SACD player has the ability to downmix the centre channel and the subwoofer so you can run it in quadraphonic (y) Anyway, all multichannel SACDs have a stereo SACD track too if you want to slum it in 2 channel mode :D

If SACD does die on its arse in the future at least you'll still be able to play your hybrid SACDs on normal CD players! Lets hope it doesn't because its a bloody fantastic format :)

I agree. Pick up some SACDs and play them thru the Quad Receiver now and a 5.1 Receiver when you're ready for DVD Video and SACD in full 5.1.

Back