Onkyo TX-SR705: What Else Do I Need For Quad Playback Of Vinyl?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenPerkins

Hi guys, longtime lurker, first time poster. I’ve searched through threads prior to posting, but didn’t see anything that specifically pertained to my situation… and apologize to mods if this is not posted in the appropriate forum.

Long story short, I’m setting up a surround system for my uncle and am wondering how to get the most out of SQ vinyl with his receiver without having to buy additional decoders. I’m also looking at Quadradisc (ex: Eagles “On The Border”). It sounds like there may be issues with CD4 records in general, so haven’t pulled the trigger on that format. We just have a bunch of SQ vinyl waiting to be played… DSOTM, several Santana albums, Super Session.

Signal chain:
Pioneer PL-516 with Ortofon OM20 cartridge
Pro-Ject phono preamp
Onkyo TX-SR705

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS705B/Onkyo-TX-SR705-Black.html
I believe he will be using 6 speakers plus subwoofer. Any input is helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
I know that some here use Dolby PLII for SQ, personally I recommend using the proper decoder. Someone else may want to chime in on that subject.

As for Quadradisc's you need a CD-4 demodulator and phono cartridge capable of at least 45KHz, plus low capacitance cables. Otherwise just running it through Dolby PLII will yield nothing more than you would get from a stereo record or disc.

I know that some here use Dolby PLII for SQ, personally I recommend using the proper decoder. Someone else may want to chime in on that subject.

As for Quadradisc's you need a CD-4 demodulator and phono cartridge capable of at least 45KHz, plus low capacitance cables. Otherwise just running it through Dolby PLII will yield nothing more than you would get from a stereo record or disc.

Thanks - any added bonus to using Pro Logic IIx? Ex: does it sound more natural, based on the original SQ encoding?

I might just skip CD4…

Last edited:
Thanks - any added bonus to using Pro Logic IIx? Ex: does it sound more natural, based on the original SQ encoding?

I might just skip CD4…
I'm surprized that no one else has responded to this yet. I see no reason that a Pro Logic IIx would sound more natural (than a proper SQ decode). The question is does it produce acceptable results? I'm not a Dolby fan so can't give you an honest answer. Best bet is to try it to see how it sounds to you.

I don’t have this Amp, so others can answer better. But generally, as I understand it, Dolby Pro Logic IIx can decode maybe QS encoded records, somewhat. One needs a proper SQ decoder and another box for CD-4 decoding. Plus an Amp with 5.1 RCA inputs. So, you might also need some sort of switcher box as well, for the decor boxes.

SQ decoding through Dolby Pro Logic IIx I’ve read, might give you some sort of decode, but not a good one without a decoder box. You can decode SQ and QS by recording the record info a Windows computer and decode with Adobe Audition audio software versions, 1.5, 2.0 or 3.0.

OQG - Uncle has a Sony Blu-Ray player (BDP-6700) connected via HDMI to the receiver. Receiver out to the HDTV using HDMI. The only other component(s) connected to the receiver would be the phono preamp, and Pioneer TT (both are connected by RCA cable).

I gave him a 512GB HD with tons of rips… PF albums (1969-1979) in various pressings, tons of Hendrix (numerous pressings), all ripped using VPI Scoutmaster and good gear… it’s just not the same as the physical medium, dropping the needle, etc. He isn’t as technically savvy, so I’m doing the legwork. I would like to check out CD4 for him, so I’ll see if I can find a decoder that isn’t too complicated. I’ll also have to research what the OM20 is able to do, in regard to frequency.

Last edited:
If you get Blu-ray Discs with Quad or 5.1, that should work. You can also try QS records through Dolby Pro Logic IIx to see what you get. For that matter, you can experiment by playing stereo records or CDs, or even SQ records to see what effects one can get with Dolby Pro Logic IIx. There are also Quad QS encoded CDs. You might also find DTS encoded Quad or surround discs off of eBay, that the Blu-ray player should be able to do through a modern Amp. Also regular Dolby and DTS on DVDs.

EDIT: Thread title changed to reflect changes to what Amp is being used.

I appreciate your help. The Onkyo will be picked up today and we’ll play around a bit. 👍

I'm surprized that no one else has responded to this yet. I see no reason that a Pro Logic IIx would sound more natural (than a proper SQ decode). The question is does it produce acceptable results? I'm not a Dolby fan so can't give you an honest answer. Best bet is to try it to see how it sounds to you.
Dolby PL2x will give you a surround effect from SQ, but with misplaced rear channels. QS, on the other hand, will be more accurately decoded. That receiver does have analog external inputs, which could be used with something like a Surround Master v.3, if you want to go for accurate SQ and QS decoding, with better separation. Those inputs could also support a CD-4 demodulator, if you want to go that route.

Back