Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, the BDP-83 can process DTS 24/96 or DD+ inside the player via the analog outputs but NOT DTS-ES.

In the case of DTS 96/24, I believe it is only decoding the core DTS unless that ability has been added by firmware recently. I don't believe it is possible with the MediaTek MT8520 chipset. I have played several using the player to decode and that is my conclusion, although I haven't done so recently. As far as DD+ if Neil indicates it is bitstream only, something similar is probably going on with that codec as well. I will see if I can find a DD+ disc to check to have first hand knowledge of the issue in case I see the question again. So few Blu-ray discs use DD+, it isn't an issue of much importance.

In the case of DTS 96/24, I believe it is only decoding the core DTS unless that ability has been added by firmware recently. I don't believe it is possible with the MediaTek MT8520 chipset. I have played several using the player to decode and that is my conclusion, although I haven't done so recently. As far as DD+ if Neil indicates it is bitstream only, something similar is probably going on with that codec as well. I will see if I can find a DD+ disc to check to have first hand knowledge of the issue in case I see the question again. So few Blu-ray discs use DD+, it isn't an issue of much importance.
Understood. I can't remember having any problems other than with DTS-ES. I was just looking at the manual, and even though it doesn't go into specifics, it states that it does these two codecs up to 7.1 channels. My player (BDP-83) has been packed away for many months now, due to the BDP-93 replacing it. So, I really don't want to get it out and check. Just a thought, someone could always email OPPO support for the details or visit the BDP-83 Thread on AVS Forum for further info.

I just saw this...

When I play a DTS9624 disc through the digital out it does pass the 9624 through to my reciever (the 9624 lights up on the panel)

None of the oppo players decode DTS-ES, DTS-9624 or DD+ internally at all. It's core audio.
They will pass the bitstream intact to an external decoder though.
Chris is perfectly correct, it is a limitation of the chipset.

Hey guys, just got this one yesterday. I will go through this thread as soon as I can, because I'm really curious about your experiences. So far, I love it, personally. Awesome machine. I have a question, though.

I connected it to my Samsung Home Theatre system via analogue 5.1, optical and HDMI and found that consistently for DTS-CD, DVD-A and SACD, the best sound comes through analogue 5.1. The other ones lack dynamics (no bass, for some reason), and DVD-A only gets played back in stereo when going through optical (??!).

I have been listening to my DVD-As and noticed that with some (Santana - Shaman and Foreigner - Debut so far), the player will skip over a tiny bit of music at the beginning of some tracks. It's only the fraction of a second, but enough to be annoying. So for instance, the piano that opens "Cold as Ice" is cut off.

It also consistently happens when skipping directly to a particular track.

Nothing similar happens when playing the other formats.

I thought it could be because of a handshake between my receiver and the player, but it's going through the analogue 5.1 output, so there should be no handshake afaik. What I do notice is that it lingers on 00:00:00 at the beginning of these tracks for a short instance before starting to play. It's almost like it's "resetting" something.

Did you have this problem? How did you deal with it?

Could it be my home theatre system? It's not exactly a high quality one, although it's pretty good for my budget. It's a boxed one that came with receiver and speakers all-in-one. With my previous DVD-A/SACD combo player (Yamaha), there was a lengthy handshake at the beginning of each friggin' track in digital playback (none through analogue 5.1, but it sounded terrible), completely ruining any listening experience.

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys, just got this one yesterday. I will go through this thread as soon as I can, because I'm really curious about your experiences. So far, I love it, personally. Awesome machine. I have a question, though.

I connected it to my Samsung Home Theatre system via analogue 5.1, optical and HDMI and found that consistently for DTS-CD, DVD-A and SACD, the best sound comes through analogue 5.1. The other ones lack dynamics (no bass, for some reason), and DVD-A only gets played back in stereo when going through optical (??!).

I have been listening to my DVD-As and noticed that with some (Santana - Shaman and Foreigner - Debut so far), the player will skip over a tiny bit of music at the beginning of some tracks. It's only the fraction of a second, but enough to be annoying. So for instance, the piano that opens "Cold as Ice" is cut off.

It also consistently happens when skipping directly to a particular track.

Nothing similar happens when playing the other formats.

I thought it could be because of a handshake between my receiver and the player, but it's going through the analogue 5.1 output, so there should be no handshake afaik. What I do notice is that it lingers on 00:00:00 at the beginning of these tracks for a short instance before starting to play. It's almost like it's "resetting" something.

Did you have this problem? How did you deal with it?

Could it be my home theatre system? It's not exactly a high quality one, although it's pretty good for my budget. It's a boxed one that came with receiver and speakers all-in-one. With my previous DVD-A/SACD combo player (Yamaha), there was a lengthy handshake at the beginning of each friggin' track in digital playback (none through analogue 5.1, but it sounded terrible), completely ruining any listening experience.

Thanks for your help!

see post number 61 onwards in this thread.

Regarding analog sounding better than digital, if the oppo's DACs are better than your stereo, that could be true. If your receiver is the more high end unit, and has better DACs, the hdmi connection should sound better.

Whew, just finished reading this entire thread. Very informative, and I was quite intrigued to see how some perceptions of the player have changed since its release. I feel kinda stupid now for not buying the SE, since it looks like I will be using analogue output anyhow (don't even wanna deal with handshake issues). Well, I'll see how well my player holds up to long-term listening. :)

Whew, just finished reading this entire thread. Very informative, and I was quite intrigued to see how some perceptions of the player have changed since its release. I feel kinda stupid now for not buying the SE, since it looks like I will be using analogue output anyhow (don't even wanna deal with handshake issues). Well, I'll see how well my player holds up to long-term listening. :)

If you can afford it, trade in your 83 for the 95 instead. The analog output is even better than the SE output.

I'd love to, but it's beyond what I can afford and probably pointless, seeing that my home theatre system couldn't match it anyway. Does the improvement over the 83 SE go for the 93 as well, or just the 95?

This is a real shame. I had time tonight to experiment more with the player, and no matter what I try, it clips the beginnings of most songs on both my Foreigner and Santana DVD-As. And I haven't tried all my other DVD-As yet. It makes me really sad, because this seems to be a great machine, the sound is terrific, but I can't spend hundreds of dollars on a player that truncates the tracks on my discs. I'll put it back on eBay, read up on the BDP-93 and, if it doesn't have any such problems, buy that when I can afford it.

Until then, I'm better off listening to DTS-CDs with my 30-dollar DVD player, SACDs with my 75-dollar Yamaha multi-format player, and playing the DVD Video content of my DVD-As on my PC.

Thank you kindly for your advice, guys.

I have the latest firmware from march 2011 and it did seem to fix the issue for me. Any special DVD-a discs for me to try? I have most everything. Foreigner 4 and Foreigner both work fine.

Hey Mike, thanks for the kind offer. The discs I've had problems with so far are Foreigner's debut and Santana's Shaman. On Foreigner, "Cold as Ice" is clipped at the beginning (and pretty much all tracks after track 4, if I remember correctly - I'm in the office now). On Santana, it's about the same - the second track is clipped, and then the later ones consistently.

This happens no matter how I access them:

1 - skipping to them
2 - selecting them from the playlist
3 - letting the DVD play through

When I go through HDMI, every song is clipped, on every DVD-A I tried. When going through the analogue connection, it's just those songs on those two DVD-As (so far).

What receiver do you use? It could be something to do with my receiver. And what are your settings in the audio format setup?

Thanks!

Hey Mike, thanks for the kind offer. The discs I've had problems with so far are Foreigner's debut and Santana's Shaman. On Foreigner, "Cold as Ice" is clipped at the beginning (and pretty much all tracks after track 4, if I remember correctly - I'm in the office now). On Santana, it's about the same - the second track is clipped, and then the later ones consistently.

This happens no matter how I access them:

1 - skipping to them
2 - selecting them from the playlist
3 - letting the DVD play through

When I go through HDMI, every song is clipped, on every DVD-A I tried. When going through the analogue connection, it's just those songs on those two DVD-As (so far).

What receiver do you use? It could be something to do with my receiver. And what are your settings in the audio format setup?

Thanks!
Hi...

Sorry you are having this problem. I have it as well. Some things you should know about the BDP83
1) Oppo knows about this problem.
2) They have known about it since the player came out
3) I sent them 5 or 6 discs that had the problem
4) They were able to replicate the problem.
5) Several firmware updates have not fixed the problem. I have the latest firmware.
6) Not your receiver - it's the player.
7) It's not a handshake problem - it happens using analog as well
8) Sell your Oppo BDP83 and buy a Denon DBP-1611UD instead... I did and I couldn't be happier!!

http://usa.denon.com/us/product/pag...roductId=77901c35-2bc7-46ac-9bb4-ce29a6f55328

Thanks, Bob. Yeah, I heard about your troubles with the player... ugly story. Strangely enough, with mine, I am getting the impression right now that it may not be the player after all.

PedroCasanova quoted Oppo's support team a while ago with this:

"Most truncations are due to HDMI and optical/coaxial handshakes. This is one of the unfortunate realities of digital signals as they need to be acquired, processed, then amplified. Analog can go straight to amplification.

Secondary issues with DVD-Audio is that some authoring will cause the buffer to run out. Warner Brothers and Rhino often make DVD-Audio titles which give the player instructions to go back to the Menu/Title then go to the next Track/Group. This will cause truncations between DVD-Audio tracks as the player jogs all the way to the beginning of the disc, only to have to jog somewhere further in."

It puts me in a bit of a tricky position. I found that all three formats (DTS CD, DVD Audio and SACD) sound rich, warm and full on my system when I play them back over HDMI. However, the handshake takes so ridiculously long that I lose up to 6-7 seconds at the beginning of playback.

SACD sounds equally amazing through analogue, so no problem there.

I can play my DTS CDs through optical and there is no handshake problem, and they sound just as good (perhaps a bit less).

But DVD-A sounds absolutely horrible when played through analogue, like a transistor radio, with almost no bass. That's probably my receiver's fault. So I get either truncated music or intolerable quality.

What's more, I just hooked up my old player, which has terrible DVD-A performance, so I never played the Foreigner DVD-A through it. To test, I just did, and what do you know - it truncates the beginnings of the very same songs that the Oppo truncates!! In exactly the same way! Regardless of whether I run it through HDMI or analogue!

So is it my receiver? Or is it the discs?

I'll have to take both players to a friend's place some time, who has a home theatre system, too.

I did notice the laser head travelling back and forth when a new track begins on the Foreigner disc (by Rhino). Who comes up with authoring like that?

Mike, if you wanna try the Foreigner DVD-A, it's "Cold as Ice" and "The Damage is done" when playing the disc from the beginning. Both are clipped at the beginning.

So is it my receiver? Or is it the discs?

I know this would be an unnecessary hassle, but would this same problem exist if one used DVD extractor to extract the MLP files, then re-author using Chrome? This might answer the question if it's receiver or discs. I had to do this for Talking Heads discs that would not play on a unit with no firmware upgrade abilities.

Another question, does the Denon DBP-1611UD ignore the DVD-A Watermark like Oppo's do? I own 2 standard DVD, DVD-A/SACD units and I'm quite happy with the sound/performance. Thanks.

Mike, if you wanna try the Foreigner DVD-A, it's "Cold as Ice" and "The Damage is done" when playing the disc from the beginning. Both are clipped at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

OK, I am not going to reconfigure for analog, but over HDMI I do admit it truncates part, but not all, of the first note on both songs. It is perhaps 1/10th of a second. When I listen to it on my yamaha player, I can hear the difference. It is interesting that all of us seem to have the problem but to varying degrees, mine barely noticeable especially after the latest firmware, and others like you and Bob much more severe. When I installed the latest firmware I did set everything back to default settings as recommended, then went back in and reconfigured manually. Maybe that helped somehow?

I wonder if we swapped players if the experiences would change, or if the rest of our systems contribute different amounts to the problem. I would try the analogs but it is a lot of work to get back there, and I already know that HDMI sounds better on my system so I will tolerate those few songs that I find will truncate on my system. I have not listened to this Foreigner disc in years!

Back