Oppo issues with Dream Theater DVD-Audio (9/13)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it would help verify your idea that it has something to do with the lack of a menu. Give it a try and let us know.

Well, it would help verify your idea that it has something to do with the lack of a menu. Give it a try and let us know.

Do you even own either the Oppo 103/105 or the Dream Theater DVD A? I'll let Oppo do their thing. Testing that shit ass Elvis disc will prove nothing - it was authored years ago via a different authoring facility and more than likely different software.

I've got the rack mounts for the 105. That's a start anyway. No plans for Dream Theater or Elvis.

Just come across this site and this thread while Googling for DVD-A problems with the Oppo. If it helps, I own an Oppo 105, and of my 6 DVD-A titles, 5 play flawlessly while one ("Once" by Nightwish) displays exactly the issues mentioned above - plays fine for 30 seconds or so and then breaks up into mush, with the front panel and remote becoming unresponsive.

This disc is different from the others I have in three ways - the audio is 5.1 LPCM, rather than 5.1 MLP; there are no still images accompanying playback, so the screen just shows the Oppo logo while it is playing, and it has no menu - it just starts playing as soon as it is loaded. It seems that the DT disc described above has no menus, so they have that in common, but I suspect it is more likely to be the lack of a video stream that causes the problem; it may be that the Oppo is relying on a clock from the video data to sync the audio properly, and without one, it falls over. Does the DT disc display stills while it is playing, or does it just show the Oppo logo?

I've reported my disc to Oppo UK - I'll mention this thread as well, as it looks as if the issue with the DT disc is the same.

Just come across this site and this thread while Googling for DVD-A problems with the Oppo. If it helps, I own an Oppo 105, and of my 6 DVD-A titles, 5 play flawlessly while one ("Once" by Nightwish) displays exactly the issues mentioned above - plays fine for 30 seconds or so and then breaks up into mush, with the front panel and remote becoming unresponsive.

This disc is different from the others I have in three ways - the audio is 5.1 LPCM, rather than 5.1 MLP; there are no still images accompanying playback, so the screen just shows the Oppo logo while it is playing, and it has no menu - it just starts playing as soon as it is loaded. It seems that the DT disc described above has no menus, so they have that in common, but I suspect it is more likely to be the lack of a video stream that causes the problem; it may be that the Oppo is relying on a clock from the video data to sync the audio properly, and without one, it falls over. Does the DT disc display stills while it is playing, or does it just show the Oppo logo?

I've reported my disc to Oppo UK - I'll mention this thread as well, as it looks as if the issue with the DT disc is the same.

Welcome to QQ!!

Yes - The Dream Theater just displays the Oppo logo - there are no graphics... It does use MLP though...

Welcome to QQ!!

Thank you very much!

Yes - The Dream Theater just displays the Oppo logo - there are no graphics... It does use MLP though...

In that case, I strongly suspect that is what causes the problem, rather than the lack of a menu at the start. At a guess, the clock used to time the video data is being reused to time the audio data, so things fall over when the video signal isn't there.

Oppo UK got back to me today and said that a firmware update with a lot of disc compatibility fixes is imminent; their advice was to try the disc again after this, and if there are still problems, they will investigate further.

I apologise up front for my intrusion into this thread but I wanted to ask something about these Oppo players. I was recommended one when I was looking to get a new universal deck but ended up sticking with what I know (i.e. Pioneer) because whenever I researched Oppo, I came across numerous threads and posts like this one, where Oppo users were highlighting instances of certain discs not playing on Oppo players, users being asked to send discs into Oppo for inspection and Oppo releasing numerous firmware updates, simply to enable their players to play certain discs.

I mean no disrespect to Oppo, nor to owners of their equipment, but this seems awfully peculiar and somewhat unacceptable. There hasn't ever been a disc that I've put in my Pioneer deck that hasn't worked, save for one particular DTS-CD where the DTS flag was incorrect. This was a known issue with the disc and the disc got replaced by the artist.

Looking at the Oppo range on their website, they certainly seem incredibly capable devices with a wealth of connectivity at the rear, but so many users seem to have issues that I wondered why they accepted it and if this is indicative of something that Oppo do drastically differently to everyone else.

I am merely trying to learn and understand so I apologise again for my intrusion into this thread.

My Oppo 83 has no problem playing this disc, but it did have problems with another one. It's not my impression that Oppo is unique in this regard; I read all the time about players having problems with certain discs. At least Oppo is quick to respond with fixes.

My Oppo 83 has no problem playing this disc, but it did have problems with another one. It's not my impression that Oppo is unique in this regard; I read all the time about players having problems with certain discs. At least Oppo is quick to respond with fixes.

Everyone should count their blessings they don't own a more recent (re-badged Sharp) Pioneer or Yamaha BDP! Even if they play some of your discs for a while, there's loads they won't/can't play.. and the final nail in the coffin is they ordinarily pack up before too long! That was my experience anyway!

I had issues with Lizard on my old Pioneer player... There's no chance of that getting fixed by Pioneer, whereas with Oppo at least they seem proactive with firmware updates.

I agree that Oppo seem to have more than the average no. of compatibility issues, but (for me) the sound quality, features, DACs (and like you say) connectivity options are really good.

When my 83SE dies I'll probably upgrade to the latest Oppo version - the 103/105 is the only player out there (at the moment) that will also play multichannel FLAC and DSD... for me that will be the "deal breaker".

Also - I like supporting the small(er) guy rather than the big faceless multinational...

Everyone should count their blessings they don't own a more recent (re-badged Sharp) Pioneer or Yamaha BDP! Even if they play some of your discs for a while, there's loads they won't/can't play.. and the final nail in the coffin is they ordinarily pack up before too long! That was my experience anyway!

I had issues with Lizard on my old Pioneer player... There's no chance of that getting fixed by Pioneer, whereas with Oppo at least they seem proactive with firmware updates.

I agree that Oppo seem to have more than the average no. of compatibility issues, but (for me) the sound quality, features, DACs (and like you say) connectivity options are really good.

When my 83SE dies I'll probably upgrade to the latest Oppo version - the 103/105 is the only player out there (at the moment) that will also play multichannel FLAC and DSD... for me that will be the "deal breaker".

Also - I like supporting the small(er) guy rather than the big faceless multinational...

I've had no such issues with my Pioneer BDP450. Plays everything I've thrown at it (Disc, network, USB, multi-channel FLAC, not tried DSD yet) and the picture and sonic performance is as good as I've ever seen.

However, I didn't mean to cast aspersions on any particular brand, and maybe I just see Oppo owners posting a lot about problem discs more than I have any other, but you're right when you say that Oppo do seem to respond very well to these issues. I will be looking to buy another BD player in the next year or so and will certainly consider Oppo. FWIW, Pioneer just released a new F/W for my BDP, although I didn't see a bug fix list yet. I will go searching later. But they're certainly not dormant in that respect. My old DV-575A's still play every disc bar BD's like the day I got them home. Anyway, I'm not into brand bashing or invoking fierce brand loyalty wars. I was just wishing to learn more about these Oppo issues and saw this thread as an opportunity to learn more.

Once again, apologies for the thread hijack :)

P.S. If anyone can point me to a legitimately free multichannel DSD download, I'm keen to see if my BDP plays it :)

I'm no Oppo fanboy, I don't even have an Oppo.. though I do now have a Cambridge Audio BDP (Azur 651BD) which is to all intents and purposes an Oppo BDP-93. The Pioneer DVD players of old are quite different beasts from their latter-day BDP's. Their old DVD players are workhorses - reliable, robust, nigh on peerless. I've tried the Pioneer (and Yamaha and Denon BDP) routes and find the Oppo (clone) machine to be better in every respect.

because whenever I researched Oppo, I came across numerous threads and posts like this one, where Oppo users were highlighting instances of certain discs not playing on Oppo players, users being asked to send discs into Oppo for inspection and Oppo releasing numerous firmware updates, simply to enable their players to play certain discs.

I mean no disrespect to Oppo, nor to owners of their equipment, but this seems awfully peculiar and somewhat unacceptable. There hasn't ever been a disc that I've put in my Pioneer deck that hasn't worked, save for one particular DTS-CD where the DTS flag was incorrect. This was a known issue with the disc and the disc got replaced by the artist.

Looking at the Oppo range on their website, they certainly seem incredibly capable devices with a wealth of connectivity at the rear, but so many users seem to have issues that I wondered why they accepted it and if this is indicative of something that Oppo do drastically differently to everyone else.
what you can expect at the time, when even cars has become disposable commodity, leave alone such stuff like electronic gadgets.
i guess to keep at pace with competitors, OPPO got in too much hurry to throw onto the market newest models. with all those multiple
formats and other added features BD players has become quite sofisticated piece of equipment and perhaps needs more time and work
in development than was allocated to team by their management.

Has anyone tried the latest beta firmware update with the Dream Theater disc? If so, does it work? I prefer to wait until the official update comes out.

The beta just released (BDP10X-67-1120B, out Nov 21 for the US version and Nov 26 for the EU version) fixes the Nightwish disc on my player - it's now playing perfectly happily with no break-up or locking up of the player. The release notes include "Resolved a playback issue with several DVD-Audio discs. Customers reported that after upgrading to the BDP10X-58-0917 firmware, some DVD-Audio discs would play for a few seconds then the player was locked up, and all you heard was white noise. Samples include “Elvis: 30 #1 Hits”, “Bruckner: Symphony No. 7”, “Dream Theater”, “Nightwish: Once”, as well as discs self-authorised using “HD-Audio Solo Ultra” program." So it looks as if the Dream Theater disc should also now work properly.

Good work, Oppo!

Back