Oppo Japan BDP-105DJPL Adds Stereo DSD 256 Playback via DAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's Oppo 103 and 105 players - including the "D" models - can play Multichannel DSD 64 and Multichannel FLAC.
No need to wait. :)

Unfortunately they can't play DSD files gapless. I don't get why it's so hard to design a media player that can play lossless files gapless by design.

Unfortunately they can't play DSD files gapless. I don't get why it's so hard to design a media player that can play lossless files gapless by design.

Yes! Car audio head units have also been failing at this for years. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if some bean-counter in his infinite wisdom was (wrongly) deciding that gapless playback is a niche feature that just isn't worth the effort, but you'd think, in the case of FLAC files at least, it would require less effort to make it just work - as you said, they're designed that way! Definitely a head-scratcher...

-- Jim

Yes! Car audio head units have also been failing at this for years. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if some bean-counter in his infinite wisdom was (wrongly) deciding that gapless playback is a niche feature that just isn't worth the effort, but you'd think, in the case of FLAC files at least, it would require less effort to make it just work - as you said, they're designed that way! Definitely a head-scratcher...

Another thing Logitech got right. It's astonishing that they abandoned their music ecosystem but all that horrible, gappy DLNA garbage lives on.

I'd suggest contacting Oppo and making that request.

Oppo has been clear that they are planning a future line of disc players that would come out when 4K Blu-Ray Video discs arrive on the market in the future.
I'm guessing those players will feature more robust support for music downloads than what the 103 and 105 provide.

The enhanced music download support could include gapless playback. Who knows?
Best to put in your requests while the players are still on the drawing board/planning stage.

Today's Oppo 103 and 105 players - including the "D" models - can play Multichannel DSD 64 and Multichannel FLAC.
No need to wait. :)
The Darbee plays DSD 128 also. Don't know if it's multi-channel or not. Nothing yet to test it with.

The Darbee plays DSD 128 also. Don't know if it's multi-channel or not. Nothing yet to test it with.

Right, the 103 and 105 "D" Oppo models play DSD 128 Stereo via the DAC input (with a computer), but only DSD 64 Stereo and Multichannel via the USB Ports (no computer needed).
No Multichannel DSD 128 playback.

You would need a DAC with Multichannel DSD 128 playback - like the exaSound e28, Merging Technologies NADAC-8, Mytek 8x192, Primare BD32 Mk II, Prism Audio ADA-8XR DSD, Twisted Pair Buffalo III - for that.
http://www.dsd.sonore.us/

Back