Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought the Magnetar 900. Haven’t used it yet, for me, it’s a back up, but when I ordered it, the hundred dollar option for firmware includes turning it into a true universal player said the spokesman I talked to. And the box it came in weighs 35 lbs. Heavy duty.

Audio Science Review tests of the DACs in current Arcam AVRs showed pretty poor results. Arcam took notice and said "ah, we have it configured wrong" and claim to have fixed it in a firmware updare. But ASR have not re-tested, so we really have no idea where the current Arcam AVRs stand with current firmware. As the owner of an Arcam AVR31 I'm interested, though it sounds fantastic and test results wouldn't change my view of that.
Sure, the level of sound quality change from DAC to DAC or its firmware is highly debatable.
We hope that the owner of one with the update, or Arcam themself will send one in for testing.
Now if I was Arcam and had this "fix" at hand, the first thing I'd do is send Amir a representative sample to retest, Wouldn't you? Still waiting . LOL

I recently bought the Magnetar 900. Haven’t used it yet, for me, it’s a back up, but when I ordered it, the hundred dollar option for firmware includes turning it into a true universal player said the spokesman I talked to. And the box it came in weighs 35 lbs. Heavy duty.
By "universal player" do you mean it is region free? Doesn't it already play all the common disc formats?

What advantage does extra weight provide? What is it in these players that make them weigh more that provides better performance?
A brick ? LOL
Better, stronger transport systems are very important! Isolation (metal?) between power supply boards, DACs, etc can lower noise and interference. Isolation from outside electrical and vibration interference. more But there is a reasonable limit. Some solid info from the inside build of a "premium" player (oppo?) is shown here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/inside-of-a-premium-blu-ray-player.55/

We're assuming that a device that weighs more is superior for the reasons stated. But one would need to open it and look at the internals to verify what's inside, and whether those 'improvements' are part of the weight gain or if there's isn't just some super large copper heatsinks glued to everything. ;)

Well that's a tease. Is the box/packaging at least nice?

What advantage does extra weight provide? What is it in these players that make them weigh more that provides better performance?
Back in the day there was an opinion that espoused if all else is equal, buy the heavier component, especially when it came to power amplifiers. More killer, less filler I guess. A lot of things have changed since then. More use of plastics and switching power supplies are maybe the biggest changes.

We're assuming that a device that weighs more is superior for the reasons stated. But one would need to open it and look at the internals to verify what's inside, and whether those 'improvements' are part of the weight gain or if there's isn't just some super large copper heatsinks glued to everything. ;)
I also can see where there would be more need for certain/better components for video reproduction which is more complex than audio reproduction.

Although I'm not convinced that when we are talking electronic components that heavier is necessarily better.

Back in the day there was an opinion that espoused if all else is equal, buy the heavier component, especially when it came to power amplifiers. More killer, less filler I guess. A lot of things have changed since then. More use of plastics and switching power supplies are maybe the biggest changes.
Analog power amps necessarily weigh more as they become more powerful.

Digital amps, not so much.

Absolutely! The amount of BS marketing and snake-oil that's floated in audio is beyond belief.
First measure, then open it up and look inside.
"Trust but Verify" will always remain the rule of day. :LB

"Universal player" means plays all CD sized optical disc formats, with the exception of HD DVD. It says nothing about region free.
I know. But it already does that out of the box without any firmware upgrade, save for the possibility of burned DVDA and SACD, which are not listed in its specs.

I know. But it already does that out of the box without any firmware upgrade, save for the possibility of burned DVDA and SACD, which are not listed in its specs.
I include burned DVD-A in my definition of "Universal player". This is an entirely legal disc format.

I just picked up an Oppo BDP-105D and I absolutely LOVE this thing! It's a beast, built like a tank, stunning Saber reference DACs even on the 7.1 analog outs, with another one dedicated solely to analog stereo reproduction. It's a streamer, the app works great, even considering it's what 8-10 years old, it's amazing. I have it connected to both my Onkyo HT AVR via a fiber HDMI connection, and the stereo analog out to my dedicated stereo listening environment that runs on various amplifiers and whatnot. The Oppo even works as a mni AVR of sorts, brilliantly well thought out and it does just about everything it does very well, especially if you consider it's not new.

Who knows if the manufacturer sees it that way.

Actually I found the answer. See here

https://www.trutone.ca/products/view/magnetar-firmware-update-option-for-udp800-udp900

Apparently, the extra $100 buys the ability to play ISO files. Still no mention of the ability to play back burned discs other than CD-R and DVD-R
That's roughly what I paid to jailbreak my Oppo 103. Although it will not play a burned SACD (or SACD-R as some call it) it will play the .iso files off my network. It will play of course a burned DVDA.
Appears that Sony does not consider burned DVDA a valid format now from what I've read of postings on newer models. I have an older Sony 3D BD player as a back up SACD ripper, but no idea what it actually plays as far as burned discs. I bought it to rip as that's all I cared about. The top looks like someone drug a cast iron stove across it, but it was dirt cheap on EvilBay.

Back