Our eardrums move when our eyes move..

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Moo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Stumbled across this article about research on eye movement affecting eardrum orientation, which helps us focus on sound, directionally:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180123171437.htm
I guess it also ties into closing our eyes giving a more revealing soundscape: it's not just visual cues distracting us, but also influencing how our hearing mechanism targets different audio sources.

Stumbled across this article about research on eye movement affecting eardrum orientation, which helps us focus on sound, directionally:

I guess it also ties into closing our eyes giving a more revealing soundscape: it's not just visual cues distracting us, but also influencing how our hearing mechanism targets different audio sources.
maybe this will help me hear the height speakers better, thanks!

It says in the article even when closed, eye movements affect the ear mechanism.

As for surround sound implications: I suppose there are many. Do we involuntarily move our eyes when listening to surround sound? Possibly, as we focus on different areas of the mix. Should we blindfold surround mix engineers? Is getting so wasted you can't move your eyes better for a surround listening experience? :D

Probably some good research fodder related to the subject.

Makes so much sense. I know that my balance goes to heck while skiing if there is a total whiteout. I can't tell if my skis are on the ground, in the air, or whatever. So the coordination of the eyes with other senses is not surprising. JFK Jr got spacial disorientation and we know what happened with that.

Maybe sit on a Booster-Seat?
well, I already lowered the fronts and back rears about 6 inches, going against the Dolby suggestions of them being at ear level and pointing down about 20º and it helped a bit. I also have boosted the heights about 2 dB...

Last edited:
well, I already lowered the fronts and back rears about 6 inches, going against the Dolby suggestions of them being at ear level and pointing down about 20º and it helped a bit. I also have boosted the height about 2 dB...
I had to pick up my sides/rear surrounds a about 4 inches because two sit on a large oak table. I constructed little wooden boxes to put them on in my shop. The sound improved a lot, losing some of the reflection off the table seemed to do it. But they are still all basically at ear level.

I say experiment and do what you have to do, sooner or later you will see for yourself what sounds best.

...and I raised my desk chair a few inches. lol. built in booster seat!

Back