Passive 4-channel preamp/attenuator?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsrstereo

Since 2002/2003
While I await arrival of my new Surround Master decoder from Oz, I'm trying to decide how I'll install it in my quad set-up. I presently run the stereo analog output of my disc player directly to my Sansui decoder (which has master vol and front/rear balance controls), then out to power amps - no other preamping is utilized.

Since the Surround Master has no such controls, I would hope to run its outputs to a passive 4-channel attenuator, with front/rear fader control, but can find no such device available, so I guess I go to active 4-channel preamp. Any suggestions/recomendations? Is there any such passive unit available? What would yawl do?

Thanks from John

Does the Sansui have additional discrete inputs for like a Q8 player or a CD-4 Demodulator? Or does it have a quad tape loop? If so, I would say hook the disc player to the Surround Master and the Surround Master to the discrete inputs on the preamp, and the preamp to the power amps as usual. If not. You may want to look into using something like a Sony SQD-2020 between the Surround Master and the amps. Or any other quad preamp for that matter. Or even 2 identical stereo preamps in a pinch.

Does the Sansui have additional discrete inputs for like a Q8 player or a CD-4 Demodulator? Or does it have a quad tape loop? If so, I would say hook the disc player to the Surround Master and the Surround Master to the discrete inputs on the preamp, and the preamp to the power amps as usual. If not. You may want to look into using something like a Sony SQD-2020 between the Surround Master and the amps. Or any other quad preamp for that matter. Or even 2 identical stereo preamps in a pinch.

Unfortunately, the Sansui has no discrete 4-channel pass-thru - I'd prefer a passive preamp, but don't really think there is such a thing - I'll check out the Sony as you suggest, or if lucky, I'd try to snag a Sansui QSC-9050 4-channel preamp.

Thanks

Back