PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We need a locked step by step definitive thread on how to do SQ and QS conversions (with links to diagrams, zip files and MP3s) with commentary about when and how to use noise reduction and volume levels.

Saw the above. Did I miss something? Has somebody finally posted a definitive step-by-step guide for SQ and QS conversions using AA 1.5? If so, can you (or someone else reading this) give me the link to these. Have they improved the scripts. The one I used to use would literally take forever and then I was not entirely pleased with the result. The big problem I have experienced with these conversions is that AA will not record to 24/96k but 32/96k. My software for burning onto DVD-A will not accept such, only 24/96k. I could down convert to 16/44.1k but I am loosing resolution. I there an "AA 1.5 for Dummies" out there.

While I am thinking about it, has anybody ever done one for CD-4? From what I understand, there are quite a few more problems with such a conversion. I remember reading that some have given-up. Just a thought.

Also, has anybody ever done a similar guide for recording 4 channel Q8s and Q-reels onto AA?

All of this trial and error stuff is getting me to the point of pulling my hair out (and I don't have much left to pull).

Thanks for your time and all of your great input.

Has somebody finally posted a definitive step-by-step guide for SQ and QS conversions using AA 1.5? The big problem I have experienced with these conversions is that AA will not record to 24/96k but 32/96k.

Very very few people are using 1.5 anymore as it is no longer a supported product. AA 4.0 will be released shortly and is supposed to have matrix decoding buttons for all 6 major matrix encoding mechanisms SQ, DY, EV, QS, UHJ and Dolby Surround as well as capabilities for recording direct from 4-track 4-channel discrete inputs.

While I am thinking about it, has anybody ever done one for CD-4? From what I understand, there are quite a few more problems with such a conversion. I remember reading that some have given-up. Just a thought.

As you are no doubt well aware, CD-4 operates in a supersonic audio band as well as the normal audio band. In order to capture the undemodulated CD-4 signal with any integrity, there must be thousands of reference points per second for the uppermost frequency wave. Being 45 KHz, this would require a MINIMUM sampling rate of 45 GHz to even get a decent representation of the top end of the carrier wave so that a digital demodulation would be possible. At present, the only thing that can sample at 45 GHz reliably is the billion-dollar Cray Supercomputer arrays, used for crunching space-probe data at NASA and other similar installations.

And, no, you can't cheat and play the CD-4 back at either of it's mastering speeds of 22.22, 16.66 or 11.11 RPM and record with a lower sampling rate because that will only multiply all the sonic problems inherent with mastering at those slower speeds in the first place.

Therefore, we are back to Lou Dorren's new CD-4 demodulator and specially-commissioned cartridge and CD-4 stylus mounted onto the best linear tracking turntables and demodulated into 4 discrete tracks which are then recorded normally at 32-bit 192KHz sampling rate into the computer in order to get the best result, and for the various restoration algorithms to have room in which to work.

My software for burning onto DVD-A will not accept such, only 24/96k. I could down convert to 16/44.1k but I am loosing resolution. I there an "AA 1.5 for Dummies" out there.

If you are not recording direct to hard drive and intend to burn the raw data onto DVD or Blu-Ray for later transcription and restoration to save room on your hard drive, you need to get a professional burning program which will handle the 32 bit 192 KHz top sampling rate, then, do all your digital restoration in 32-192.

Obviously if you record to the final DVD-A output rate of 24-96, restore and then transcribe out to 24-96, all the digital restoration artifacts will have noplace in which to be masked upon downsampling. Therefore, the original recording needs to be in 32-192 so that after restoration and prior to final transcription, it can be downsampled to 24-96 and mask a good many of the digital artifacting left behind by the restoration process..

Also, has anybody ever done a similar guide for recording 4 channel Q8s and Q-reels onto AA?

For both of those, you need a professional discrete:
1. quadraphonic 8-track or reel-to-reel deck with four discrete line-level playback outputs
2. multi-track audio computer interface with at least four discrete line-level recording inputs
3. multi-track sound recording program which can record all tracks simultaneously.

And the same rules apply for 32-192 recording here as from vinyl.

Trying to record a multi-track tape two tracks at a time will never sync back up due to the continuous miniscule speed variations throughout the original transfer as well as upon your individual playback. Read the BSN Stereo Chat board under Unconventional Stereo, DES and DCS to see the trouble guys have gone to in order to re-sync previously thought to be mono-only songs for re release in stereo.

For further tips and tricks, read my Adobe Audition Restoration Tutorial at http://bsnpubs.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3024365 and good luck.

Thank you. I never expected such a detailed response. Greatly appreciated.

Regarding AA 4.0, I'll bet it will be about $400.00. Are you sure of the matrix buttons? Don't see much point in the program without them. I have spent quite enough on this process already.

Regarding CD-4, well let's forget it. I only have 3 CD-4 records anyway.

Regarding the sampling rate issue, I recently purchased an external 1TB hard drive for archiving. So, everything is stored there. I can set AA to 192,000, but the 192,000 setting on the sound card does not come on. Maybe the program will tell the card to when I start to record something. AA will allow upconversion to 192,000. Would that help? I'm sure going direct would be better, though.

Regarding the last, I have all three items you listed. So, there is no thought of having to sync anything.

Finally, thank you for the link. I'll print it off and read it over the next couple of days.

Again, thank you for all of your time.

Glen

Are you sure of the matrix buttons? Don't see much point in the program without them.
I keep hearing about it in whispers from developers, then on here, Lucanu and his various cronies are always working on better matrix batch-processing scripts, so you can peruse their threads or PM them for any further news.
I have spent quite enough on this process already.
Obviously not enough or from the wrong sources or else you wouldn't be here. (soft brotherly nudge)

Regarding the sampling rate issue, I recently purchased an external 1TB hard drive for archiving. So, everything is stored there. I can set AA to 192,000, but the 192,000 setting on the sound card does not come on.
As I said, you may need an external professional high-resolution multi-track audio/computer interface to do what you are doing.

Most internal soundcards whether purchased separately or included with the system have insufficient ``horsepower'' to perform anything but the most basic features. M-Audio or the Aja Blackmagic however are two examples of internal soundcards that feature the properties for which you are looking. The rest are all external recording interfaces.

Maybe the program will tell the card to when I start to record something.
If the soundcard in question has the properties and features to enable in the first place. As I said, most consumer-grade soundcards do not.

AA will allow upconversion to 192,000.
I'm sure going direct would be better, though. Would that help?
Absolutely not. In fact it would make the problems worse. Cloning or extrapolating seven samples for every one that's there by extrapolating from 16 bit 44.1 would only add to the already bad digital artifacting present in recording in the first place. Music restoration programs including Adobe Audition perform very poorly on upconverted media.

Regarding the last, I have all three items you listed. So, there is no thought of having to sync anything.
So you should be alright on that front then. However, if your soundcard or external audio/computer interface module has no 32-192 setting on it, then try the M-Audio or Blackmagic modules or their newer equivalents.

Finally, thank you for the link.
I'll print it off and read it over the next couple of days.
Again, thank you for all of your time.

P.S. That's a 16-week junior college Academy-style class where you come at 8AM leave at 5PM with an hour for lunch and have labs from 7-11PM five nights a week and have to come to recording sessions on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons to ply your trade.

Or, it's eight semesters in a conventional three-hours-a-week-plus-labs format.

Regarding AA 4.0, I'll bet it will be about $400.00. Are you sure of the matrix buttons? Don't see much point in the program without them. I have spent quite enough on this process already.

Well, hopefully, there will be a decent upgrade price for registered users.

The one thing that I am hoping for is that AA 4.0 will be a 64-bit program. Since all the other Adobe programs have been upgraded to 64-bit, I can't see why AA wouldn't get the same treatment. If AA 4.0 is 64-bit, those with 64-bit operating systems and quad core processors should see a significant decrease in the amount of time it takes to run an SQ or QS script.

J. D.

Actually, I hope they don't. I have already spent enough and having to go out and buy another computer, I might as well drop the whole process. My computer is only 4 years old and there is no processor upgrade for it.

Glen

Actually, I hope they don't. My computer is only 4 years old and there is no processor upgrade for it, and having to go out and buy another computer...
Because four years in the computer world is like a hundred years everyplace else.
Like dog or cat years vs.human years.

At the junior college at which I teach the aforementioned class, both to Academy students as well as regular guys, the production lab gets whole new computers from scratch every semester...or at least every other semester. The remainders are donated to other charitable organizations or youth programs that have no funding to buy them. And, occasionally, lab assistants or guys who get 4.5 GPA's and/or show real promise in the field will get one as a prize at the end of the class.

I might as well drop the whole process.
As I am sure you know, 99% of all quad LP's, reels and 8-tracks have already been converted in one fashion or the other to either DTS, DVD-A or.bwav format.

If not, or if you wish fresh transfers and restorations, I am sure plenty of junior or wannabe-engineers on this board or the BSNpubs board who have the necessary studio equipment, knowledge and time will be more than happy to take your money to buy the studio time as well as their expertise to perform the transfers, restorations and conversions for you.

P.S. No, I am not one of them.

I have way too many professional projects on my plate at the moment to be worrying about some guy's little LP-transfer, decoding and restoration project which wouldn't pay me enough money for the resources alone, nevermind the studio time or my expertise.

Sorry. And good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If not, or if you wish fresh transfers and restorations, I am sure plenty of junior or wannabe-engineers on this board or the BSNpubs board who have the necessary studio equipment, knowledge and time will be more than happy to take your money to buy the studio time as well as their expertise to perform the transfers, restorations and conversions for you.

P.S. No, I am not one of them.

I have way too many professional projects on my plate at the moment to be worrying about some guy's little LP-transfer, decoding and restoration project which wouldn't pay me enough money for the resources alone, nevermind the studio time or my expertise.

Sorry. And good luck.
Wow I guess being busy with way too much on your plate makes you a condescending dope too! By the way. We convertors don't do it for money. We do it to preserve the format and to increase our collections. It's not all about the money for all us junior or wannabe- engineers. You're being kind of an ass. But that's just my two cents.

i'm absolutely with Romano on this.
i did discovered beauty of quad several years ago and only thanks to those "wanna be", who found in ourselves enough will to convert their quad analog sources and genuine generosity to share it to others without demanding even simple thank for their efforts.
but so far the big guys in their pro-studios with their top-notch gears too busy on manufacturing the sound which upon frequent listening can develop the ears cancer.

I do conversions because most of the converters use nois reduction-which I do not like using.
I also do it because of my linear tracking TT which ,to my ears, sound better and gets rid of most Inner Groove distortion.
I also like to put the lyrics...
Now with the awesome Master Reel transfers (in spite of the usage of Noise reduction) ,a few of them have been taken off of my "to do" list.
BTW, I graduated from Berklee from MP&E and have worked in several studios, but anyone can do transfers, you don't have to be an engineer...(or wannabe)

We convertors do it to preserve the format and to increase our collections.
Well, preserving the format in this instance is a misnomer, as the format itself is not preserved, only the program material thereupon.
It's not all about the money for all us junior or wannabe- engineers.
Don't kid yourself. It's still all about the money, or at least the recognition/acknowledgement of your peers, otherwise boards such as these wouldn't exist.

Even the most junior archivist, transcriptionist or restorationist in even the smallest archive gets paid for his work. Of course, at the original time of preservation, archival work by its' own definition is commercially non-viable. Nobody in the classic film, television or music days could have known about the development of CD's, DVD,s Blu-Ray or Internet-streaming of content at the time of original production.

However much we all wish it was not all about the money and that people with the professional ways and means were altruistic, the same as in any other non-commercial art-form, patrons of the arts need to be found to provide the means for perpetuating the cause. If the resulting preservation, restoration and transcription becomes commercially viable at some later date, then all the better.
Wow I guess being busy with way too much on your plate makes you a condescending dope too! You're being kind of an ass. But that's just my two cents.
Consumers (rolleyes). I’m just like any other professional engineer in the last 50 years, under whose tutelage I was trained, make no apologies therefor, and why my sign-off everyplace else on the Net (Lathe Trollers, BSNPubs, Steve Hoffman, etc. etc. etc.) is:

There’s 2 kinds of men & 2 kinds of tape.
Low Noise & Wide Range. LN is OK fidelity, cheap & easy to come by.
WR is High Fidelity, more rare & abrasive to it's environment.
Remember that when you run across a Grumpy Engineer :)-D)
which I took from the late Wally Traugott.

I’m sure you couldn’t even PAY to take your LP or tape collection to Bernie Grundman or Frank DeLuna or Stan Ricker or Steven Marcussen or Doug Sax or any other Hollywood, New York, Nashville or Miami mastering engineer and have them perform the transfers and restorations themselves.

Like me, they wouldn’t have the time or interest. They’d take it in, sure, charge you their going studio rate and then make a mint by farming it out to the kids for free at the junior colleges in the L.A. Valley, Upstate, NY, in Mississippi or Alabama for Nashville, or up in Broward County in the case of Miami to use as practice in the computer lab, just like they did when I was a junior engineer.
i'm absolutely with Romano on this.
I did discovered beauty of quad several years ago and only thanks to those "wanna be", who found in ourselves enough will to convert their quad analog sources and genuine generosity to share it to others without demanding even simple thank for their efforts.
It's not about the money. Uh-Huh. Like the Quadraphonic Preservation Society.
Uh-Huh. Well, we all know what happened to that venture don't we?
Grown men who ``aren't into it for the money or recognition'' squabbling over money and recognition just like aaaaaaaannybody else.

But I never said there wasn’t a place in the marketplace for the home-hobbyist or junior or wannabe- engineer doing it for either his own or his friends' enjoyment. I just said I was no longer one of them. For about 30 years now.

Anyone can do transfers, you don't have to be an engineer...(or wannabe).

Yes, anyone can do transfers, like everyone can cook. (Ratatouille) but that doesn't mean everyone should. Unfortunately, from a professional commercial restoration standpoint, 99% of the consumer-transferred, or consumer-restored material received by just about any professional studio engineer can only be used as an audition copy to possibly evaluate the potential validity for artistic or commercial restoration. Almost all of the time, the original material must once again be summoned from its' original source for the transfers and restorations to be performed anew to modern commercial standards.
But so far the big guys in their pro-studios with their top-notch gears too busy on manufacturing the sound which upon frequent listening can develop the ears cancer.
And, therein lies the difference between the consumer/hobbyist doing it in his basement, garage or bedroom using consumer gear and the professional in a studio with a staff.

You wouldn’t ask a plumber or a car mechanic or any other tradesman to come to your house or even a comedian to entertain you for free, same holds true for professional studio engineers and their professional restoration equipment, trainees and support staff, all of which must be paid for in one capacity or the other.
I do conversions because most of the converters use noise reduction-which I do not like using.
In the professional world, at least some noise reduction is a necessity for a restoration to be commercially viable. Tapes, films and discs pick up additional noise over the years, and the modern consumer ear does not magically mask the hiss, pops and crackle as the ear of the vintage-format listener once did.
I also do it because of my linear tracking TT which ,to my ears, sound better and gets rid of most Inner Groove distortion.
And, again, the difference to that and studio work is that the studios would use either the I.R.E.N.E. scanning system for monaural discs or the Confocal Microscopy technique described in this video:

http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/how-edison-got-his-groove-back

for stereo or vertically-modulated discs to eliminate the action of a linear-tracker, i.e. the stylus follows the groove, becomes out-of-kilter as a result, trips a motor to drive the tonearm back into alignment and repeats the process throughout the disc resulting in the stylus being continuously behind or ahead in exact groove alignment as well as eliminating stylus playback artifacts such as vinyl-grain noise.

BTW, I graduated from Berklee from MP&E and have worked in several studios.
MIT here SCA with graduate-school work at CalTech in Pasadena and four years of interning at JPL which is why I know about the Cray Supercomputer arrays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Being 45 KHz, this would require a MINIMUM sampling rate of 45 GHz to even get a decent representation of the top end of the carrier wave so that a digital demodulation would be possible. At present, the only thing that can sample at 45 GHz reliably is the billion-dollar Cray Supercomputer arrays, used for crunching space-probe data at NASA and other similar installations.
Can you explain why 45GHz?, as the highest frequency you need to sample is 45khz you would only need a sample rate of 90khz (i.e. double the frequency). I'm curious to see if I've missed something here.
I would also say that a Cray would not sample (sound cards do that). The Cray machines being vector procesessors would probably do matrix decodes really well though.

Can you explain why 45GHz?, as the highest frequency you need to sample is 45khz you would only need a sample rate of 90khz (i.e. double the frequency). I'm curious to see if I've missed something here.

(reposted from above) In order to capture the undemodulated CD-4 signal with any integrity, there must be thousands of reference points per second for the uppermost frequency wave.

A 90KHz sampling rate would give only two samples per cycle of a 45 KHz wave, which would not be anywhere NEAR enough to capture it with the intent of demodulating it and/or retrieving the information modulated therein.

I would also say that a Cray would not sample (sound cards do that). The Cray machines being vector procesessors would probably do matrix decodes really well though.

Except even professional-grade soundcards or audio/computer interface devices have yet to be developed which can capture audio at such an advanced rate. And, if they had been, they would need the computer horsepower to be able to process and store such a rapid data rate, one far beyond just about any home or professional studio computer or hard drive.

Which is why I mentioned the Cray and which is why Jamie Howarth and his www.PlangentProcesses.com for retrieving the bias tone from tape recordings to use it as a sync tone could not be accomplished with a conventional computer, peripherals or software either.

Tape bias frequencies can be as low as 30KHz which is the lower-end of the 30-45KHz CD-4 spectrum, or upwards of 400KHz for the newest, most modern professional reel-to-reel decks. Try multiplying that 400 KHz all out by the second for 64-bit sampling, remembering that you need thousands of reference points per second of the highest frequency in order to resolve it digitally in the computer later, and you can see how ridiculous it can get in terms of required processing power, nevermind storage requirements for the recording in question.

In regard to using the higher bandwidth of video or instrumentation recorders, people have been trying to do that to store digital audio ever since consumer Betamax was appropriated for 2-track 44.056 NTSC-rate F-1 format PCM in the 70's.

The modern 44.100 rate we use for CD's today is the same thing for PAL, so if you ever find a PAL F-1 PCM recording of the Grateful Dead or whatever on a consumer videotape, you'll be able to transfer it straight across without needing to reclock from 44.056.

But, that doesn't work for such advanced sample rates and word depth as those needed to digitally demodulate CD-4 or resolve bias frequencies in the computer subsequent to transcription.

Modern digital video transcription devices encode the video into:
1. I frames, containing information for the entire frame of film or video,
2. P frames, containing only the changes to the I frame and
3. B frames, containing only the changes from the P frames on either side of it

Of course, to encode any kind of digital recording on a modern video capture device, you would need either all I-frame encoding, or a series of high-resolution motion-bitmap images both of which would take up such a staggering amount of storage as to be ridiculous.

For example, that one-terabyte hard drive. If the rotational speed thereof would even be sufficient to handle the necessary data transfer rate required by the process, if you tried to record 45 GHz 32 or 64 bit word depth, you would still have problems:

A standard single-frame fully-encoded bitmap image might be 2 MB.
You need 60 of those per second. Or 120. Or 240. Or 360 depending on your sample rate. So, at 60, 16 seconds later you have 2 GB, etc. OK you might be able to save some space being PCM doesn't need color. Even so. Multiply it out. All of a sudden your huge one-terabyte hard drive wouldn't have much recording time on it.

Like the Quadraphonic Preservation Society.
Grown men who ``aren't into it for the money or recognition'' squabbling over money and recognition just like aaaaaaaannybody else.

in mine simple world such folks usually call con artist or just morons.
but luckily this part of human kind isn't in majority.

Almost all of the time, the original material must once again be summoned from its' original source for the transfers and restorations to be performed anew to modern commercial standards. And, therein lies the difference between the consumer/hobbyist doing it in his basement, garage or bedroom using consumer gear and the professional in a studio with a staff.

sure, professionally done DP "Stormbringer" and BS "Paranoid" living examples of "high quality".
i wouldn't go to list other examples with degraded grade of DTS audio stream which was
offered to us at the industry's top price. this is also very professional.

You wouldn’t ask a plumber or a car mechanic or any other tradesman to come to your house or even a comedian to entertain you for free, same holds true for professional studio engineers and their professional restoration equipment, trainees and support staff, all of which must be paid for in one capacity or the other.

you're right, i shouldn't :)
but if there no professionals to perform for me such works, i have no choice other than
to be thankful to everyone of those who come out to help me to solve particular issue
by virtue of their ability and knowledge, or forced to roll up my sleeves and do it myself.

b.t.w. as a professional in the sound industry what prohibits you to share your
experience of work with sound on the available equipment for use at home
instead of the stories about how is cool and expensive equipment used in the studios?

Well, preserving the format in this instance is a misnomer, as the format itself is not preserved, only the program material thereupon.Don't kid yourself. It's still all about the money, or at least the recognition/acknowledgement of your peers, otherwise boards such as these wouldn't exist.

Even the most junior archivist, transcriptionist or restorationist in even the smallest archive gets paid for his work. Of course, at the original time of preservation, archival work by its' own definition is commercially non-viable. Nobody in the classic film, television or music days could have known about the development of CD's, DVD,s Blu-Ray or Internet-streaming of content at the time of original production.

However much we all wish it was not all about the money and that people with the professional ways and means were altruistic, the same as in any other non-commercial art-form, patrons of the arts need to be found to provide the means for perpetuating the cause. If the resulting preservation, restoration and transcription becomes commercially viable at some later date, then all the better.Consumers (rolleyes). I’m just like any other professional engineer in the last 50 years, under whose tutelage I was trained, make no apologies therefor, and why my sign-off everyplace else on the Net (Lathe Trollers, BSNPubs, Steve Hoffman, etc. etc. etc.) is:

which I took from the late Wally Traugott.

I’m sure you couldn’t even PAY to take your LP or tape collection to Bernie Grundman or Frank DeLuna or Stan Ricker or Steven Marcussen or Doug Sax or any other Hollywood, New York, Nashville or Miami mastering engineer and have them perform the transfers and restorations themselves.

Like me, they wouldn’t have the time or interest. They’d take it in, sure, charge you their going studio rate and then make a mint by farming it out to the kids for free at the junior colleges in the L.A. Valley, Upstate, NY, in Mississippi or Alabama for Nashville, or up in Broward County in the case of Miami to use as practice in the computer lab, just like they did when I was a junior engineer.It's not about the money. Uh-Huh. Like the Quadraphonic Preservation Society.

But I never said there wasn’t a place in the marketplace for the home-hobbyist or junior or wannabe- engineer doing it for either his own or his friends' enjoyment. I just said I was no longer one of them. For about 30 years now.

Yes, anyone can do transfers, like everyone can cook. (Ratatouille) but that doesn't mean everyone should. Unfortunately, from a professional commercial restoration standpoint, 99% of the consumer-transferred, or consumer-restored material received by just about any professional studio engineer can only be used as an audition copy to possibly evaluate the potential validity for artistic or commercial restoration. Almost all of the time, the original material must once again be summoned from its' original source for the transfers and restorations to be performed anew to modern commercial standards. And, therein lies the difference between the consumer/hobbyist doing it in his basement, garage or bedroom using consumer gear and the professional in a studio with a staff.

You wouldn’t ask a plumber or a car mechanic or any other tradesman to come to your house or even a comedian to entertain you for free, same holds true for professional studio engineers and their professional restoration equipment, trainees and support staff, all of which must be paid for in one capacity or the other.In the professional world, at least some noise reduction is a necessity for a restoration to be commercially viable. Tapes, films and discs pick up additional noise over the years, and the modern consumer ear does not magically mask the hiss, pops and crackle as the ear of the vintage-format listener once did. And, again, the difference to that and studio work is that the studios would use either the I.R.E.N.E. scanning system for monaural discs or the Confocal Microscopy technique described in this video:

http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/how-edison-got-his-groove-back

for stereo or vertically-modulated discs to eliminate the action of a linear-tracker, i.e. the stylus follows the groove, becomes out-of-kilter as a result, trips a motor to drive the tonearm back into alignment and repeats the process throughout the disc resulting in the stylus being continuously behind or ahead in exact groove alignment as well as eliminating stylus playback artifacts such as vinyl-grain noise.

MIT here SCA with graduate-school work at CalTech in Pasadena and four years of interning at JPL which is why I know about the Cray Supercomputer arrays.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... how can you stand coming to this board with all us lowly consumers:rolleyes:? It must bore you to tears to have to be subjected to our lack of understanding of how the "real world" of engineering, archiving and restoration works.

Thank you so much for setting us all straight on the ways of life and how things actually work. Your self-righteous and pompous attitude has really cleared things up for me. I just hope you don't get a nose bleed from being so much higher up than the rest of us.

As for me - I will keep doing restorations and conversions - FOR FREE. And you don't even have to say thanks. I do 'em for me. If you like them - great. If you don't - oh well...

Now--- can we actually get back to the actual topic here... PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!

I would say that if one would use the example 0tto cited above, concerning the retail, done in the studio by professional mastering engineers with professional mastering studio equipment, release of 'Paranoid', one would say that you could get shit from the best studios with the best equipment using the best source, it's all a crap shoot.

Dragging the pathetic rip-off scam artist wasteland that QpS became into this is totally reprehensible.

I also fail to find a reason to poo-poo the work that QQ members are doing for their own gratification. What's the point?

Wow... how can you stand coming to this board with all us lowly consumers:rolleyes:?
The same way I tolerate the consumers on the Talking Machine board, the A-format 1 inch video board, the 2-inch quadraplex or helical board, the vintage talking-toy board, mastering boards, etc etc etc.
It must bore you to tears to have to be subjected to our lack of understanding of how the "real world" of engineering, archiving and restoration works.
Like many engineers, I have Aspergers, so I get bored a hundred times faster and more easily than everyone else anyway, so that's nothing new. Which is why we went into engineering in the first place. And which is also why you never see us in customer-contact positions any more than absolutely necessary. We rub them the wrong way, and they do the same to us. Ergo, the necessity of paid staff to act as a buffer zone to consumers.
Thank you so much for setting us all straight on the ways of life and how things actually work.
Anytime bub. That'll be $35.00 please (WINK).
Your self-righteous and pompous attitude has really cleared things up for me. I just hope you don't get a nose bleed from being so much higher up than the rest of us.
There's medications for that, same as there's medications for being overly sensitive (WINK).
As for me - I will keep doing restorations and conversions - FOR FREE. And you don't even have to say thanks. I do 'em for me. If you like them - great. If you don't - oh well...

Now--- can we actually get back to the actual topic here... PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!
b.t.w. as a professional in the sound industry what prohibits you to share your experience of work with sound on the available equipment for use at home instead of the stories about how is cool and expensive equipment used in the studios?

That's why I posted my Adobe Audition Restoration Tutorial link above, so that many of the tricks of the trade could be explained once without having to spend a grand and a half to take the class or spend $225 for the hardback book.

I would say that if one would use the example 0tto cited above, concerning the retail, done in the studio by professional mastering engineers with professional mastering studio equipment, release of 'Paranoid', one would say that you could get shit from the best studios with the best equipment using the best source, it's all a crap shoot.
The result all depends on the quality and condition of the original source material used as well as the restorationist's ear. If the ``real studios'' are just slapping anything together any kind of which way from whatever hodgepodge of material happens to be handy, it's going to sound like it.
Dragging the pathetic rip-off scam artist wasteland that QpS became into this is totally reprehensible.
My point of reference there was merely that eventually, any kind of artistic, creative or nonprofit organization eventually becomes all about the money and/or power, the same as any commercial venture, and then devolves the exact same way QpS has devolved.

It's like religious denominations. Everybody outside the denomination has an incorrect belief system according to those within. And when those within say that others within have an incorrect belief system, poof. A new religion is born.

All these people all this time (not just on this board or even this industry) kept swearing up and down it wasn't about the money and/or recognition, and all I did was reference one example of something that may have once started off as a friendly equal exchange of material similar to a tape swap club in college, but which devolved into the wasteland it now stands for. Drama is drama and nobody is immune no matter how much they wish they were.

I'm far from picking on people. I'm merely stating that the exact same drama happens at all the other versions of a vintage material transfer and restoration club, offered on sites such as Talking Machine boards, the stereo and mono reel to reel boards, the talking classic toy boards as well as any number of other sound and video restoration enthusiast boards.
I also fail to find a reason to poo-poo the work that QQ members are doing for their own gratification. What's the point?
Again, if you think that I am picking on people and/or invalidating their work, done for their own enjoyment and that of their friends and neighbors, I assure you that I am not.

I used to say the same thing to junior college kids in the 70's in the days before digital editing and Now That's What I Call Music type compilations. Kids never had any money in those days and wanted to bring their cassettes into the studio in the middle of the night when nobody else was using the equipment, select individual songs therefrom, transfer them onto reel-to-reel and then re-duplicate them back onto cassette so they and all their friends could have all the hits and no fluff all on the same tape.

I told the kids every semester for years on end that they wouldn't like the result, but every semester the kids would come into the studio in the middle of the night, do it once, find out they hated the result for one reason or the other and then use their studio time for more productive endeavors afterward.

This is no different. If all someone is looking to do is preserve the material from his own collection or that of his friends and neighbors in order to enjoy the material and share therewith, the same as recording all their favorite 45's or LP cuts onto reel or cassette and trading with friends, then that's fine.

We had this exact same discussion recently over on the reel-to-reel board when guys would be sending in their early wannabe-DJ reel to reels they made in high school and college and getting bent out of shape when rather than transferring from the vinyl-via-reel, restorationists would drop in the actual songs used in the program from already-restored sources such as box-set CD's and then just transfer the guy's announcing from the actual reel and just restore that by itself, saving studio time and money. They quit complaining real fast though when we'd tell the guys how much it would have cost if we'd have transferred and restored the entire reel.

Therefore, I am merely attempting to replace the rose-or emerald-colored glasses which appear to be worn by a few people who feel as if the extensive work done on their consumer-quality transfers and/or restorations will one day be of any use other than as audition copies to a professional studio engineer and/or his staff to be included in any sort of commercial foray into the open market.

That's all I was saying.

Last edited:
Back