Pere Ubu "Modern Dance" DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodaddy

Anyone know whatever became of this title? Silverline's website says it came out in February, but it doesn't look like the site has been updated any time recently (the 'upcoming releases' section was completely empty, but that's another story altogehter).

I've looked high and low, in the real and virtual worlds, and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the heads up. I've been checking with "Pere Ubu's web site regularly and it still says:

"The disk is in the final stages of authoring. It must then go thru an approval process. The release date is not scheduled but we have been assured there WILL be a release - unfortunately not in America because of licensing issues."

Can't wait for this one to arrive!

I ordered this one too. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention. I wonder why it couldn't be released domestically? I hope the import is not PAL format.

I just listened to this and have three words: Buy it now!

The mix is superb and very discrete. It is a dual disc and comes in advanced resolution surround (as well as DD).

Pere Ubu is one of the best experimental bands you never heard of, and this one is their 1978 debut and one of their best. If any album was meant to be mixed in surround, this is definitely one of them. Very psychedelic!

I got mine from for 9.88 pounds including shipping from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/t...ie=UTF8#disc_1

It took less than a week to ship. Don't be put off because it is listed as only an "audio cd". This is in fact the dual disc (as is evident by the track listing).

I am a very happy man! :smokin

Last edited:
Got mine last night. I agree - it's tremendous. Based on the LP, I did not think that the level of resolution found on this disc would be attainable. Incredibly clear and punchy, and creative use of the surrounds (on one track, David Thomas' vocal is mixed to the left rear speaker, making it seem as though he sneaked up behind you and started howling in your ear, if you can imagine such a thing). Thomas has always been cranky about vinyl, but he certainly should have no complaints about this disc...

...which brings me to the coolest part. The video content on the DVD side is an interview with Thomas, in all his misanthropic glory. He expounds on his dislikes (punk rock - he says it's "unAmerican" - and long jams) and likes (surround sound, though it's obvious from his comments that he was prepped by a publicist to say nice things about the format - he waxes a little too rhapsodic about how it's the best thing since sliced bread, then admits that he doesn't have surround equipment - "...but I gotta get one of those things.")

Coolest of all is the interview length - over 30 minutes. I was expecting a five minute EPK full of pithy soundbites, but this is a real sitdown, indepth session. He talks about the pre-Ubu days, how the band came together and the various musicians who have drifted in and out of it over the years, including his late co-founder of the band, Peter Laughner); his songwriting style (the band members create the music, and he then listens to a tape to hear the message the music conveys before writing the words); and the so-called Cleveland scene of the mid Seventies.

Though the disc was manufactured in England, the video was NTSC and, apparently, region-free. I haven't put it in my computer to see if it has a PAL version, or what the DVD-ROM extras are - perhaps David Thomas sounds for your computer?

The above UK amazon link no longer takes you directly to the dual disc. I think they originally made a mistake with the pricing as it is now 10.99 pounds plus shipping (which was the price of the redbook cd last week).

Still worth every penny I might add!

Received mine yesterday - $23.70 USD and very quick delivery. We've just moved and all my speakers were in boxes, but this was just the excuse to get to work. Still digesting as I'd never heard these guys before d/l'ing some mp3s the other day, but so far I like it. I think they are generally considered art rock, to me there is some punk influence in there (which makes sense giving the recording date). Good stuff, I look forward to more listening. But, now that the speakers are all set up it's time to go looking for the boxes with food.

Managed to get a copy this week based on the comments in this thread. I like to try new things at times and this was new to me. Music is a bit like the sex pistols mixed with the Soft machine with the polished edges rubbed off. great stuff, and excellent descrete mix.

Why cant silverline do more quality dynamic surround releases like this ?.

17 years later...

A Silverline Stunnah!

Mix: 5/5: Very discrete. Sensible placements but not boring, which matches the crisp yet quirky post-punk ethic.

Sound: 5/5: Even though it's intentionally 'noisy', it's well-recorded. From bass to hi hats it's all clearly discernible when it's supposed to be.

Music: 4/5: Half way between Marquee Moon and Trout Mask Replica.

Weighted score: 3x5+2x5+1x4=15+10+4=29/30=9.66=10.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you dig post-punk, this is amazing. And it's still cheap. (3 copies @ £12.18 used on eBay UK at the mo.)

Back