Peter Gabriel - Security - Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenceo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Well I did it, pulled myself out of the 70's Quad with a sacd/dvd-a player. Pioneer at Circuit City for $111.00. Couldn't pass that up. I'm using the 5.1 analog outs to my Akai amp. Works like a champ. I think.

So anyhow, I headed to the closet Best Buy to see if they have a MC section. And to my surprise, I found a very nice selection. To start my collection I bought Eagles - Hotel California(dvd-a), Floyd (of course) - Dark Side(sacd), and Peter Gabriel - Security(sacd). Hurried home with great excitement to see how it all performs. Started with The Eagles, I was blown away with the remix and the sound field created. Finally discrete without tape noise, pops or cracks. Second up, Floyd. Again I was stunned at the performance of the disk. I've aways liked the quad mixes from Floyd.

So after two successes, one dvd-a and one sacd. Many run through's on the audio settings of the player to ensure proper performance, I slipped in Peter Gabriel with the highest of confidence. Let's just say 2 out of three ain't bad. I found the rear channels to be shut down, no audio at all. The sacd played like a normal 2 ch CD. :confused: Again I went to setting and verified all was correct. Not a peep from the rears, all eight tracks. :(

So what could it be?? Cheap player, Bad disk, Incompatible format, Wrong setting. Since the Floyd disk played so well it's got me a bit baffled. Any ideas from the knowledgeable people around here.

Thanks...............Spence

Peter Gabriel - "Security" is a stereo-only SACD. Sorry. I wish it were multichannel, but it ain't.

Thanks for the info Cai. I now see the "SACD Stereo" label on the back of the case. Gonna have to watch for that in the future. Makes me wonder how many of those sacd disk at Best Buy are MC. Anyhow, my personal quest for great 4.0 mixes has a whole new life. Won't my wife be happy. :p

Actually all of Gabriel's SACDs - with the exception of 'UP' - are stereo-only releases. But 'Play' - his new DVD collection of videos - has some very cool surround mixes by Daniel Lanois if you're interested in 5.1 Gabriel.

Cheers.

spenceo said:
Thanks for the info Cai. I now see the "SACD Stereo" label on the back of the case. Gonna have to watch for that in the future. Makes me wonder how many of those sacd disk at Best Buy are MC. Anyhow, my personal quest for great 4.0 mixes has a whole new life. Won't my wife be happy. :p

I wouldn't trust Best Buy's stocking ability. Heck, I've seen computer keyboards stocked under foot massagers! (Just kidding... barely)

If you're looking for quality titles to build your collection, and you don't want to get bitten, I seriously recommend using the Hi-Rez Surrond poll here at QQ:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

Most SACD's are not multi channel so be careful about that... more and more are but older ones especially might be stereo only. All say so on the cd though.

BOSSMAN said:
Actually all of Gabriel's SACDs - with the exception of 'UP' - are stereo-only releases. But 'Play' - his new DVD collection of videos - has some very cool surround mixes by Daniel Lanois if you're interested in 5.1 Gabriel.

Cheers.

Supposedly Mr. Gabriel is repurposing a chunk of his back catalogue for surround, so eventually we may well see this title in M/C. I stress "eventually" as he himself has copped to having a very DELIBERATE work pace. It's his changes which are holding up the Genesis "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" SACD, all to the better, I believe: apparently Nick Davis (the producer/engineer remixing the Genesis catalogue for 5.1) believes in a stereo-with-ambience soundstage for M/C, whereas PG wants more discrete events in the rears.

I agree with Mr. Grabriel on that! If i wanted ambience in my rear speakers I would use PLII or DSP. I get multichannel music for a reason and its not to get echos in my rears!

Back