Phil Manzanera 11/2023 S&V interview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No real news about releases, but at the very least, Manzanera seems quite interested in the surround sound sphere (hemisphere?).

This is them talking about a possible physical release of the Atmos mix of Avalon:
Mettler: Back to Roxy. I love the surround mix of Avalon that’s on SACD. Any news about an Atmos update for that album?

Manzanera: I think [producer/noted surround and Atmos remixer] Bob Clearmountain has recently done a Dolby Atmos mix of it with Rhett [Davies, the album’s original co-producer]. They did it a few months ago. I just got an email saying something about, “Did you want to go and hear it?” You bet!

Mettler: Oh yeah—me too! (laughs) Is that digital or physical, or both? Do you know when the actual Avalon rerelease is coming out?

Manzanera: Literally, the email popped up just before we got on here, and I just had a quick glance at it. But I went, “Wow, okay!” I better go back and read it more thoroughly. (chuckles)

No real news about releases, but at the very least, Manzanera seems quite interested in the surround sound sphere (hemisphere?).

This is them talking about a possible physical release of the Atmos mix of Avalon:
Some tracks from the 801 album were mixed into Matrix H for BBC Radio 1 in 1977, so he seems to have renewed interest in surround.

Back