Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a negative view, what are you guys so angry about?
Nothings being shoved up anything, you either want and purchase it, or not.
I don't really get that other person's ranting about Atmos, but I can understand if people would get fatigued by Pink Floyd's reissue campaigns. (Yes, that's wasn't what they were talking about, but it comes to mind.)

I think it's important to ask the intent in coming about with reissues, and stuff like digital releases of quad mixes being locked behind boxes with a bag of marbles—At what point does that dilute the presentation of the band rather than clarify it? Hell, Waters even remade their landmark album, much to the revulsion of many, believing he misunderstood the soul of the original work and what made it work.

For other artists, you see how the overfranchising of Kiss made them a self-parody, and how the overexposure of "You're Beautiful" overshadowed everything James Blunt did.

Remixes are tricky, right? The more definitive and iconic the album and that goes exponentially!

The software dance with Dolby going extreme hard when setting up for 7.1.4 Atmos surround is enough to piss off the most positive people in the whole world! Just sayin'

My experience with most commercially released 7.1.4 mixes is even the worst ones are better than expected in this modern volume war era! That 7.1.4 surround mixes are even a thing in this plastic commercial world is stunning. It's here to stay.

But I still don't like this remix. The Parson's quad for all its flaws and little incomplete bits is still the definitive one.

Anyone here is entitled to their opinions, and voicing them.
Having said that, ALL the bitching about Dolby Atmos is tiresome, and yes, I've done some complaining about Dolby, the company. But I hope Atmos is here to stay.
The only way, to me, it's NOT a leap forward is entirely on the mixers and the source material. e.g., I like what Dweezil did, for the most part, with Machine Head, others don't. So it goes.
OK that's out of the way, and my personal preference is the Parson's mix of DSOTM in quad. But the Atmos remix does put a little air under it, and I like it too.

What little incomplete bits, exactly?
I'd have to line them up and listen again. Not today! (Isn't there some Wikipedia spreadsheet on this?) A few of the interview clips were only in the stereo mix. There might be an alternate guitar part too.

The stereo mix seems to have been given a few more rounds of work and they really dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. On The Run - of all the pieces that should have been a quad showpiece - is noticeably more dialed in in stereo and much more aggressive. Side 2 in quad wipes the floor with any other mix ever attempted! (Even with the one off time quad echo in Us and Them and the slightly awkward delay overhang on the segue from Any Colour to Brain Damage.)

The two big remixes (5.1 and now 7.1.4) just get further and further away.

I'd have to line them up and listen again. Not today! (Isn't there some Wikipedia spreadsheet on this?) A few of the interview clips were only in the stereo mix. There might be an alternate guitar part too.

The stereo mix seems to have been given a few more rounds of work and they really dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. On The Run - of all the pieces that should have been a quad showpiece - is noticeably more dialed in in stereo and much more aggressive. Side 2 in quad wipes the floor with any other mix ever attempted! (Even with the one off time quad echo in Us and Them and the slightly awkward delay overhang on the segue from Any Colour to Brain Damage.)

The two big remixes (5.1 and now 7.1.4) just get further and further away.
Great, now I need to add yet another DSoTM variant to my collection (don't believe I have the quad mix) ;)

I did have the Australian Quad pink vinyl version years ago.

It's not gonna be easy to find. It's locked in the immersion box.

I don't think I can stomach another Pink Floyd box set, I just pulled the trigger on this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Early-Years-...d/dp/B01J20B7IW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1JPJFQ4QNY9C7

1713823771249.jpeg

Last edited:
Back