Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos DSotM Blu-ray - 2.0 ch mix:

Much as I dislike subjective audio evaluations, I have to say that the LPCM (192k/24) sounds "smooth" compared to the DTS (96k), which sounds a little harsh.

(using my basement system [DPL2 music]: Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-D514, 4 Polk T15, 1 Polk PSW108 speakers)

(I'll try my Hafler/DynaQuad system later today - I use an HDMI->analog converter with it)

Kirk Bayne

When I first got it, I put it in and pressed play on the ATMOS version. Was pretty good. It wasn't for a day or two that I found the setup menu and the pink noise. I've not see this on any other discs I have.

I've got a 5.1.2 and running the rears about 2db hot really pulled the 7.1.4 side surround info out of the fronts and into the space between the front and rear. It's really good now. I need to check some of my other ATMOS discs and see how they like that change.

so does the smiley face mean that you liked it?
i'm asking because i think if and when i do atmos it will be just a pair of speakers as well.
Yes, I loved it. In my case, I don’t have enough space behind the couch for another pair of height speakers, but adding the .2 has been a transformative experience.

Clear vinyl means it will likely sound worse than normal vinyl. As I understand it any colour other than black is harder and has more surface noise.
So if that’s true, why would AP do their UHQR pressings on almost clear virgin vinyl which is not carbon black. I’ve got some really good and quiet coloured vinyl. Picture disks on the other hand are usually crap 💩 sonically. This is not the same as a picture disk by the sound of the description on SDE and should sound very good….. hopefully. I might even buy this because it’s an unusual version.

Last edited:
Interesting. Yeah the time frame I mentioned was from my perspective being in the US. Were the Japanese abusing compression to the same extent even back then? Crazy if they were.
Yeah I've heard some records as early as 1989 with DR scores less than 10. They started doing it before Waves L1 came out I think...

My standalone blu-ray arrived today from Rarewaves. Listening to the stereo first for some reason, nice (y). I don't have Atmos, so I'll try the fold down 5.1 from that mix later.

The packaging is really nice. I'm bugged slightly that the lyrics are out of order in the booklet (not that I need to look at the lyrics!). For some reason the first 4 songs are after the others, as if they've printed the pages in the wrong order :confused:!
I think this was corrected for the next batch, as I just opened my copy (ordered recently) and the pages are all in correct order.

Specifically, this is the first ATMOS disc I've seen it on. But all my other Pink Floyd multichannel are sacd
Andrew Jones(noted speaker designer) has always championed running heights and surrounds a few db hot
I've found it to be a good idea

I apologize for my laziness. It's Friday afternoon of a long week.

I have the immersion set and wasn't going to spring on the 50th anniversary set for an Atmos mix I couldn't listen too, I have since upgraded and am curious about the new mix.

For someone who listens to DSoTM once or twice a year is it worth buying the stand alone blu-ray?

I have the immersion set and wasn't going to spring on the 50th anniversary set for an Atmos mix I couldn't listen too, I have since upgraded and am curious about the new mix.

For someone who listens to DSoTM once or twice a year is it worth buying the stand alone blu-ray?
I'd say so. Its available pretty cheap regularly (I think mine was $20?) has the Atmos, 5.1, and hi res stereos and has a cool bonus track on the main menu like the Animals 2018 5.1

It’s a monumental album for a relatively cheap price, I bought it just to future proof myself. You should too before it goes out of print!

My friend is moving to Nova Scotia and wants my help to build a home theater room which of course I can use when I’m visiting her. The room needs to be gutted so it’ll be the perfect opportunity to be able to hang speakers on the ceiling and experience true Atmos!!!

Here are my thoughts. I have always been a fan of the Parsons mixed quad as the best DSOTM surround experience. The Guthrie 5.1 had a significantly inferior mix IMO, but he succeeded in getting the fidelity considerably better, which is no small task considering the outstanding quality of the source to begin with. The 5.1 sounds great

The Atmos version retains that same Guthrie fidelity. The mix is not quite as tame as the 5.1, but it still doesn't reach the quad discreetness that Parsons produced. But still, it's a better surround experience than the 5.1 is.

But the effects...... THE EFFECTS. In Atmos.... That is worth the $20 investment alone.

I say the DSOTM quad is still demo material. But I also believe the Atmos version is demo material as well.

I expect the same type of experience with the upcoming Animals Atmos release.

Back