Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a compromised sound warning in the speaker set-up. Package made in Italy, disc made in Japan.

Yes, I'm getting that as well, using the amps (Denon AVR-X4400H) own setup everything is where it should be. This is worrying because if the same problem exists in the music itself then we're not getting a full 7.1.4 experience.
On further listening this effect in the heights does not happen in the music as the speech parts at the start of us and them are distinctly separate.

On further listening this effect in the heights does not happen in the music as the speech parts at the start of us and them are distinctly separate.
I had that hope,.but no... In my case, I can hear the same in the pair top front and back left and top front and back right. I tried with Us and Them and all the initial dialogue is duplicated in the top left speakers (...yelling and screaming... I don't know,.I was really drunk at the time ..). My checking method was ear to speaker and then repeating the spoken parts several times.
Can you repeat the same experiment focusing on the "I was really drunk at the time"?
Thanks!

I had that hope,.but no... In my case, I can hear the same in the pair top front and back left and top front and back right. I tried with Us and Them and all the initial dialogue is duplicated in the top left speakers (...yelling and screaming... I don't know,.I was really drunk at the time ..). My checking method was ear to speaker and then repeating the spoken parts several times.
Can you repeat the same experiment focusing on the "I was really drunk at the time"?
Thanks!
OK so that wasted a few minutes, back and forth, the guy with the accent saying "I certainly was in the right" comes from Front Right Height, the girl saying Cruising for a Bruising" comes from the Back Right Surround, the guy saying "I was really drunk at the time" comes from Front Left Height and Rear Left Height so basically Centre Height I guess. I put the disc in the Oppo just to make sure it was the same as the Sony also.

Last edited:
yes, both are on bitstream. Every other test disc or stream work fine, apart from Dark Side.
Which AVR do you have?
May I ask you for a piece of favor? Can you follow @svengaleekie notes and let me know where each voice at the beginning of Us and Them is coming from? I'm trying to assess if this particular issue is having any impact on the listening experience.
Thanks much!
I have the Denon AVR-x3700H, and as I indicated previously, the channel ID sounds and pink noise all mapped perfectly on 7.1.4 setup. Here is where the voices at the end of Money and beginning of Us and Them are coming from:

(Starting at time 25:15 - using the speaker naming conventions from the DSOTM Atmos setup menu)
"(laughter) I was in the right" = Left Front + Right Front
"yes absolutely in the right" = Left Rear Surround
"I certainly was in the right" (#1) = Right Top Front
"that geezer was cruising for a bruising" = Right Rear Surround
"why does anyone do anything" (#1) = Right Side
"why does anyone do anything" (#2) = Left Side
"I was really drunk at the time" = Left Top Rear
"...yelling and screaming..." = Left Top Rear
"I certainly was in the right" (#2) = Left Front
"I was really drunk at the time" = Left Top Front

Attaching my post from another thread concerning the Atmos test on the disc. Any Colour You Like is the song where I can really tell something’s amiss. The synth solo bursts at the beginning echo 4 to 5 times as they decay in every instance of the song I have heard be it stereo or multichannel. On the disc, except for the first couple of lines, I only hear one or two echoes before the sound becomes almost too faint to hear.

This ONLY happens when I listen to the Bluray. If I listen to the streamed Atmos version on Apple Music, the decays are just like they are supposed to be.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...n-blu-ray-audio-dolby-atmos.34000/post-731094

I think I know what the problem is and, as expected, it's my AVR configuration. Don't know why, but I had my top rear speakers configured as top back rear speakers. With this configuration all test signals worked fine, apart from DSOTM. In reality, I need to change the config to top rears, but when I do that, I get no sound at all from the rear heights, instead it's routed to the front heights.
I'm afraid I will have to do a factory reset to the AVR and reconfigure everything from scratch.
It may not be this, but looks highly probable.

The 5.1 is the same 2003 mix. The only real advantage of this release for a 5.1 setup would be if the increased clarity they've managed in the Atmos mix folds down into 5.1 better than the 2003 native 5.1 mix. If I had to guess, I'd say the engineered 5.1 mix would end up better. But it might be worth trying.

Not to derail the topic, but I had a similar experience. I had an Integra preamp that I upgraded to a Marantz 7702MK2 (same company/software/processing as Denon) to be able to handle 4K video. I was never very happy with the Marantz. Audyssey was audibly worse in my space no matter how many times I ran it. It would upmix things with no real way to defeat it (except using pure). I ended up using the "pure" mode as my default. It sounded best with no added processing, but that meant bass redirection and any sort of correction was defeated. It was OK for what it was, but the Integra just acted like you'd want it to.

I ended up going to the last two MWAVE events to demo preamps and compare their sound and correction methods. Everyone's ears are different, but to me the standouts were Anthem and Lyngdorf (Storm was great, but I don't know of anyone that can afford that). Anthem is the much more affordable of the two. And I can say that I have friends that own Anthem products and report it does a great job with music and the room correction works really well (it also doesn't force any upmixing to use features). The rooms I have been in with Anthem preamps and receivers I've really like them. I ended up with a used Lyngdorf and have been thrilled with it. Just my takeaway from comparing what's out there. As always you should let your own ears steer you.
thanks for that reply. i have heard good things about Anthem being well known for sound quality. they're definitely more than entry level so maybe i just need to save up some and spring for one of those. i've heard good things about Arcam too.

so getting back more on topic.... after listening to the 5.1 dts-HD on this blu-ray i decided to listen to the SACD and the Parsons Quad for comparison. as i mentioned before i didn't think the 5.1 on the blu-ray was necessary if you didn't have an Atmos setup. but it was fun listening to the SACD and the Parsons Quad back to back. i decided to listen to Money, Us and Them, and Brain Damage because those 3 songs have some very telling moments to contrast and compare. a brief history: when i first got into SACD and DVD-A's about 15 years ago, the Dark Side SACD was the first disc i purchased. and it was great. then i started reading on message boards (mostly AVS i think) about the Parsons Quad and how it seemed most people preferred it. so i obtained a burned copy of the quad and after several listens the Quad won me over. and so i really haven't listened to the SACD in probably more than 10 years. so what i re-discovered is just how good the SACD really is. for instance on Money i think the opening saxophone (i think it's a tenor sax) is a little too loud and bright/harsh on the Quad. also the end of the guitar solo is panned from left front all the way around and for me it just doesn't work. sounds kind of gimmicky. so i actually prefer Money on the SACD. then you have Us and Them. the opening sax on the SACD comes right from the center and it is so sumptuous and just envelops the room wonderfully. on the quad it comes from the right front. it sounds really good too but just doesn't measure up to the SACD's center channel treatment. but i really prefer the Quad's echo of Us....Us...Us and Them...Them...Them going around the room. sounds very cool. and finally Brain Damage. the Quad is the big winner here. about the 3 minute, Parsons turns up the synthesizer and whirls them around the room to a fantastic effect. throw in a couple of madman laughs and you have a surround sound hall of fame moment. i really like to turn it up as loud as i my system can stand 🙂. just fantastic and that effect is not taken advantage of on the SACD.

Just tried the speaker ID track on my 5.1.4 system (Sony UBP-x800m2 player connected to Pioneer VSX-LX-503 9.2 AVR), and all sounds played correctly. Will check out some of the song comments when I get a chance.

hearing the reports on how good the Atmos sounds really makes me want to upgrade my system and add Atmos speakers. because after listening to this blu-ray there's not much reason to get it if you already have the SACD and or the Parsons Quad. IMO, the 5.1 is really good but it's not an improvement over those. i hesitate because i have my setup dialed in the way i like it. i currently run a 10 year old Denon receiver. a few years ago i tried out a newer Denon and i couldn't get it to sound as good so i took it back. now if i could find another receiver that sounded as good or hopefully better than i would make the switch.
I already have the Guthie 5.1 mix from the BluRay, but bought this for the ATMOS version. I really can't (or more likely won't) fit height speakers to my current room (CAN'T fit sides or rears, so I will have to stick with my (very nice and happy with) current 5.1 system. Will try the ATMOS mix at a mate's place and plan to go 5.1.4 (most likely) at the next house (whenever that will be...)

Does anybody know what/if there are any differences in the 5.1 mix between the 2003 SACD/2011 Blu vs the 5.1 ATMOS mix? (ignoring the subtly different mastering)??

thanks for that reply. i have heard good things about Anthem being well known for sound quality. they're definitely more than entry level so maybe i just need to save up some and spring for one of those. i've heard good things about Arcam too.

so getting back more on topic.... after listening to the 5.1 dts-HD on this blu-ray i decided to listen to the SACD and the Parsons Quad for comparison. as i mentioned before i didn't think the 5.1 on the blu-ray was necessary if you didn't have an Atmos setup. but it was fun listening to the SACD and the Parsons Quad back to back. i decided to listen to Money, Us and Them, and Brain Damage because those 3 songs have some very telling moments to contrast and compare. a brief history: when i first got into SACD and DVD-A's about 15 years ago, the Dark Side SACD was the first disc i purchased. and it was great. then i started reading on message boards (mostly AVS i think) about the Parsons Quad and how it seemed most people preferred it. so i obtained a burned copy of the quad and after several listens the Quad won me over. and so i really haven't listened to the SACD in probably more than 10 years. so what i re-discovered is just how good the SACD really is. for instance on Money i think the opening saxophone (i think it's a tenor sax) is a little too loud and bright/harsh on the Quad. also the end of the guitar solo is panned from left front all the way around and for me it just doesn't work. sounds kind of gimmicky. so i actually prefer Money on the SACD. then you have Us and Them. the opening sax on the SACD comes right from the center and it is so sumptuous and just envelops the room wonderfully. on the quad it comes from the right front. it sounds really good too but just doesn't measure up to the SACD's center channel treatment. but i really prefer the Quad's echo of Us....Us...Us and Them...Them...Them going around the room. sounds very cool. and finally Brain Damage. the Quad is the big winner here. about the 3 minute, Parsons turns up the synthesizer and whirls them around the room to a fantastic effect. throw in a couple of madman laughs and you have a surround sound hall of fame moment. i really like to turn it up as loud as i my system can stand 🙂. just fantastic and that effect is not taken advantage of on the SACD.

Sorry it's always hard to gauge a budget. To some people an $800 piece of gear is terribly expensive and others don't blink at $35K for a pair of speakers (oh to be in the latter group). Anthem is not inexpensive, but in my experience it is equally adept at music and movies. And is good about not trying to over process things when you don't want it to. I've had good luck with finding used equipment. Which helps my caviar tastes with a fish stick budget. So, that might be something to consider.

The Parsons Quad was my preferred mix for quite a while and for a lot the reasons you spell out. It uses surround in a more dramatic fashion in places and is quite dynamic. I don't know if it's just changing equipment or changing me, but the more full and detailed sound of the 5.1 slowly became my favorite of the two. There really isn't a wrong choice. Now, it's the Amos mix that is my go to.

It won't happen, but I would love to see Alan get a crack at an Atmos mix with the current source material. His experience as an engineer over the last 50 years would make it really interesting to listen to. There's a great Youtube video of Parsons and Wilson just chatting about how they approach engineering that is worth watching if you enjoy knowing the nuts and bolts of how this gets made.

Last edited:
What is with this Dark Side... release anyway, the instructions, the apologies, the snide reference to the people developing this not talking to one another, the speaker check? Very disappointing. Why release it if there are issues? Even the out of sequence lyrics pages. (Love the packaging though).

What is with this Dark Side... release anyway, the instructions, the apologies, the snide reference to the people developing this not talking to one another, the speaker check? Very disappointing. Why release it if there are issues? Even the out of sequence lyrics pages. (Love the packaging though).
Was the out of sequence lyric thing on the original release too, or was that The Wall?

Are any other releases sounding better with the settings switch? Seems like you have it right now, despite being counterintuitive.
Yes, I've played The Harmony Codex, Wet Dream and DSOTM again, they're all sounding fantastic, so I'm happy to leave settings as they are now, In The Court Of The Crimson King is going on again after. oops I mean Larks' Tongues In Aspic.

Last edited:
Ok. You all talked me into it. I wasn’t going to order it. I don’t have Atmos. I already have the 5.1 and DSOTM isn’t an album I ever need to listen to again. And after one listen of this one probably won’t again. But as some of you have said, what the hell. It’s only $20 on Amazon. So why not?

Ok. You all talked me into it. I wasn’t going to order it. I don’t have Atmos. I already have the 5.1 and DSOTM isn’t an album I ever need to listen to again. And after one listen of this one probably won’t again. But as some of you have said, what the hell. It’s only $20 on Amazon. So why not?
It's kind of a standard question around here... "How many times have you bought TDSOTM?"

and you probably know there is already a thread for that topic. Now you can raise your count. LOL
Whoever has bought the most copies, wins. :)

Back