OT Technical from Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting the exact same thing with those height speakers (7.1.4) using a Marantz SR7013...When the test signal on the blu-ray disc says Left Front Height, both that speaker and the Left Rear Height play. So my SPL meter says the LFH is 4 dB too loud because two speakers are actually playing.

[Edit: I forgot to mention that my height speakers are configured as FHL, FHR, RHL, and RHR.]

What AVR are you using?
Configuring the speakers as SHL and SHR should solve the issue, but when I do that I get no sound at all from the rears. Do you have Auro-3D license in your AVR? As the RHL and RHR are the recommended configuration for Auro whereas SHL and SHR are for Atmos, I wonder if that is causing the problem to us.
Mods, as this doesn't seem an issue related with the Blu-ray but with a certain AVR config, I would propose to move all these comments to a new thread

Configuring the speakers as SHL and SHR should solve the issue, but when I do that I get no sound at all from the rears. Do you have Auro-3D license in your AVR? As the RHL and RHR are the recommended configuration for Auro whereas SHL and SHR are for Atmos, I wonder if that is causing the problem to us.
Mods, as this doesn't seem an issue related with the Blu-ray but with a certain AVR config, I would propose to move all these comments to a new thread
Yes, I have Auro 3D. The recommended setup on my AVR to get both Auro 3D and Atmos is FHL, FHR, RHL, and RHR. See circled note below. So I actually have an Atmos setup that can accomodate Auro 3D, so I don't understand why the test disc is an issue?

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 8.59.29 AM.jpg

ac

Yes, I have Auro 3D. The recommended setup on my AVR to get both Auro 3D and Atmos is FHL, FHR, RHL, and RHR. See circled note below. So I actually have an Atmos setup that can accomodate Auro 3D, so I don't understand why the test disc is an issue?

View attachment 97381
ac
Looks like being a software bug or misconfiguration that we both have. I'll create a new thread later today or during the weekend to brainstorm together.
For all people looking at this thread, for now there's nothing wrong with the Blu-ray, let's not create any more noise with the topic (I started)

What is with this Dark Side... release anyway, the instructions, the apologies, the snide reference to the people developing this not talking to one another, the speaker check? Very disappointing. Why release it if there are issues? Even the out of sequence lyrics pages. (Love the packaging though).
The snide reference about developers not talking to each other is that what we thought of as rear speakers in 5.1 (actually surrounds), had a single centre rear added for 6.1, which quickly got split into two for 7.1, which became the rear speakers and the previous surrounds got pushed to the sides. So when playing 5.1 tracks on a 7.1 system, what was originally intended to come out of the 5.1 surrounds at the rear (ish) now come our of the 7.1 surrounds at the side (ish). I can understand what the complaining remarks in the channel ID test are on about, it's a bad result that we've ended up with. It's not that people didn't talk to each other because it was a continuous development, it's more that they didn't think through the consequences of their decisions on playback of existing 4.0 or 5.1 tracks. When the centre rear was dropped we should have created new side surrounds and kept the existing surrounds as rears. I avoid this problem because I have a 5.0 system.

What would help a lot would be a setting in amps that says whether you want 5.1 or 4.0 rear channels to come out of the surrounds or rears or both (at half volume in each) on a 7.1 system so people could select which rendering works best for them.

In the official poll thread, @madscot wrote:

"I’m halfway through my first Atmos listen and this is an easy 10, mind-blowing are the words that spring to mind, I used to think Alan Parsons quad mix was the dogs bollocks but this destroys it. Where has this James Guthrie been, I guess he had help with the mix?"

How much I like the Atmos mix is immaterial because I've just learned a new phrase, "the dog's bollocks." I am so enamored with the sound and imagery of this phrase that it is now officially 'the dog's bollocks' of all the crude phrases in my vocabulary. Thanks, madscot!

I think I know what the problem is and, as expected, it's my AVR configuration. Don't know why, but I had my top rear speakers configured as top back rear speakers. With this configuration all test signals worked fine, apart from DSOTM. In reality, I need to change the config to top rears, but when I do that, I get no sound at all from the rear heights, instead it's routed to the front heights.
I'm afraid I will have to do a factory reset to the AVR and reconfigure everything from scratch.
It may not be this, but looks highly probable.
I've reconfigured my amp to Dolby Atmos speakers instead of Height speakers as it was, this has resolved the DSOTM speaker test issue, each announcement comes from where it should, the only problem I have is that the Denon on screen graphic shows the Dolby speakers upfiring which mine aren't. Just an OCD thing though I hope. I had to tweak the volumes again but I think it's improved the overall sound.

Last edited:
What is with this Dark Side... release anyway, the instructions, the apologies, the snide reference to the people developing this not talking to one another, the speaker check? Very disappointing. Why release it if there are issues? Even the out of sequence lyrics pages. (Love the packaging though).
As someone who had a 7.1 speaker array for many years before upgrading to Atmos, I was always irritated that for 5.1 mixes the surround channels were routed to the side surround speakers rather than the rear surround speakers, and have occasionally physically repatched my speaker connections to correct this. Now, not everyone agrees that 5.1 surround signals should come from rear positioned speakers, but like for quad, for when playing 5.1 mixes on 7.1 speaker arrays I prefer surround signals to come from primarily the rear rather than the side speakers. Most AV processors do not offer any automatic detection or options in this area. Thankfully with the advent of the Dolby and DTX upmixers, newer AV processors can at least distribute 5.1 surround signals to both the side and rear surround speakers. It's not always perfect, but a hell of a lot better than physically repatching cables.

"I’m halfway through my first Atmos listen and this is an easy 10, mind-blowing are the words that spring to mind, I used to think Alan Parsons quad mix was the dogs bollocks but this destroys it. Where has this James Guthrie been, I guess he had help with the mix?"

How much I like the Atmos mix is immaterial because I've just learned a new phrase, "the dog's bollocks." I am so enamored with the sound and imagery of this phrase that it is now officially 'the dog's bollocks' of all the crude phrases in my vocabulary. Thanks, madscot!
Its right up there with "the cats ass", and "the tits", but with a British slant to it.

I've reconfigured my amp to Dolby Atmos speakers instead of Height speakers as it was, this has resolved the DSOTM speaker test issue, each announcement comes from where it should, the only problem I have is that the Denon on screen graphic shows the Dolby speakers upfiring which mine aren't. Just an OCD thing though I hope. I had to tweak the volumes again but I think it's improved the overall sound.
You might want to check to make sure you haven't configured them as Dolby Atmos Enabled (upfiring) speakers. Are these speakers high on the wall or in the ceiling? Either way, they should probably be configured as Height speakers.

Then I'd revert back to the issue I was having before:unsure:
Yeah, I have to admit I've lost the thread of the problems some people seem to be experiencing with the test signals and/or the music on this release. From what I've read elsewhere, configuring speakers as Atmos Enabled tells the AVR to alter the signal in one or more ways to account for the design differences in those types of speakers. Having said that, if you're happy with your new configuration, that's really all that matters.

configuring speakers as Atmos Enabled tells the AVR to alter the signal in one or more ways to account for the design differences in those types of speakers.
What does it change? First and foremost, the most important, basic thing, is getting the proper source channels, to the proper speaker/location.

Ah..the joys of technology😟..I'm being sarcastic if you haven't picked up on it.

To quote Samuel L. Jackson's character from "The 51st State": "So bollocks is bad, but the dog's bollocks is good?". Reply is something like: "Ye're gettin it!"

What does it change? First and foremost, the most important, basic thing, is getting the proper source channels, to the proper speaker/location.
According to this: https://professional.dolby.com/site...os/dolby-atmos-enabled-speaker-technology.pdf

"Psychoacoustic signal processing

Based on an understanding of how the brain interprets sound, Dolby Atmos enabled speakers modify select audio frequencies to reinforce the sense of sound coming from above. This filtering is also applied to any sound that may leak horizontally from the speaker cabinet to further amplify the perception of sound coming from above.

Speaker directivity and angling

Most speakers have a wide diffuse pattern. This is not an ideal design for a Dolby Atmos enabled speaker where the majority of the middle- and high-frequency energy should be directed to the ceiling. Dolby performs comprehensive testing on Dolby Atmos enabled speakers to insure that the majority of the sound is focused on the ceiling and not leaked horizontally to the listening position.

Dolby Atmos enabled speakers are designed to fire their acoustic energy upward rather than directly at you. Dolby has calculated the best angle for the upward-firing element based on where most people place their floor-mounted tower and stand-mounted speakers.

As a result, your brain experiences the sound coming from overhead rather than from the speaker itself. A crossover network and bass management is built into Dolby Atmos enabled speakers, complemented by signal processing in the audio/video receiver (AVR)."

Again, even with all that in mind, if people are satisfied with what they're hearing, I believe that's the most important, basic thing.

I keep hoping this thread will just go away...but it keeps coming back...through the gutters with all the rats. :LOL: :hi :censored:
Non capire un'acca

"Haven't you heard it's a battle of words?"
The poster bearer cried

That's actually quite a familiar phrase if you hang around on forums with a lot of people from the UK and Ireland :)

Back