OT Technical from Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:–

The colon dash :)—)​

The colon dash functions as a standard colon, or to indicate a restful pause.[6] It was often used for lists and quoted extracts that started on the next line. This was the case because a lone colon can be easily missed.[5]

The colon dash construction has sometimes been called a dog's bollocks or dog's ballocks, for its phallic appearance. This name appeared at least as early as 1949, as cited by the Oxford English Dictionary and etymologist Eric Partridge.[7][8]

I'm liking the variant of the mutt's nuts!

It's kind of a standard question around here... "How many times have you bought TDSOTM?"

and you probably know there is already a thread for that topic. Now you can raise your count. LOL
Whoever has bought the most copies, wins. :)
I actually can’t remember. I know I bought the original US Capitol LP, the MFSL LP, the MFSL CD, the 5.1 SACD, and now this. I still have all those.

But I think I may have had a cassette tape and another CD copy along the way as well.

It's kind of a standard question around here... "How many times have you bought TDSOTM?"

and you probably know there is already a thread for that topic. Now you can raise your count. LOL
Whoever has bought the most copies, wins. :)
Puts thinking cap on...
A UK A3/B2 2nd press, NZ early 80's Harvest press with Quad stamper on one side, a 70's NZ, the 2016 vinyl, 2011 vinyl, first USA/Europe CD, 5.1 SACD, Quad Blu Ray, & now Atmos Blu ray, only 9!

Configuring the speakers as SHL and SHR should solve the issue, but when I do that I get no sound at all from the rears. Do you have Auro-3D license in your AVR? As the RHL and RHR are the recommended configuration for Auro whereas SHL and SHR are for Atmos, I wonder if that is causing the problem to us.
Mods, as this doesn't seem an issue related with the Blu-ray but with a certain AVR config, I would propose to move all these comments to a new thread
I looked at my Marantz setup and the upper speakers are not set to HEIGHT, but actually set to TOP, so my diagram shows TFL,TFR, TRL, TRR. It's in the Marantz Speaker/Amp Assign page under layout. All the test sounds come out of the the correct speakers.

I looked at my Marantz setup and the upper speakers are not set to HEIGHT, but actually set to TOP, so my diagram shows TFL,TFR, TRL, TRR. It's in the Marantz Speaker/Amp Assign page under layout. All the test sounds come out of the the correct speakers.
Hi, I created an specific thread to discuss the problems we are having with Marantz AVR. Mods, can you please move all related posts there?
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/marantz-avr-issues-with-dsotm-atmos.35010/Thanks!

Problem statement: Marantz AVRs (need to confirm it’s only for this brand) incorrectly play the DSOTM Atmos test tones and music on the height speakers. Information on the rear height channels is played at the same time on front and rear height channels. Issue was detected with DSOTM blu-ray because it has got the test tones, but we cannot know if this problem is happening with any other blu-rays or streaming content in Atmos.
Two users reported the problem so far, and both have in common that Auro-3D is enabled in the AVR and rear height speakers are configured as SHL and SHR (Auro-3D recommended configuration) as opposite to RHL and RHR (Atmos recommendation).

In my case, when configuring the rear height speakers as RHL and RHR, the AVR test tones work perfectly in all speakers, but any real Atmos content (no matter if it’s streaming or Blu-ray, real songs or test tones) is only played through the front height speakers. All content sent to the rear height speakers is not played. Restoring the configuration to SHL/SHR makes all test tones and Atmos content to be played fine (apart from DSOTM).

This behavior puzzles me, as despite the usage of SHL and SHR is a recommended configuration, I believe the regular configuration for Atmos based on RHL and RHR should work.

I even tried to disable Auro-3D and then configure again the rear speakers as RHL and RHR or THL/THR and Atmos is only played in FHR/FHL or THR/THL.
I haven’t tried to restore to factory default settings the AVR or running Audyssey after changing the Amp assign, but as I get the same behavior with and without Audyssey, I don’t think this should have any impact.

My request here for all Marantz/DSOTM owners would be to fill in the form below:
• Marantz AVR model (mine is SR7011)
• Do you have Auro-3D enabled? Y/N (in my case is Y)
• Do you have regular height speakers or in-ceiling (top) speakers? Mine are regular height speakers
• Which configuration do you have for rear height speakers? RHL/RHR or SHL/SHR? I have SHL/SHR, but my rear speakers are located on top of the surrounds back (less than 5º behind the listening spot)
• Does DSOTM test tones play correctly in the rear heights for you? As I commented, test tones aimed only for the rears, are played at the same time in the fronts and rears

Let’s see if we can get to any conclusion based on the survey. Hopefully is some misconfiguration on my side and not a SW bug.

Note: there has to be something different with the Atmos encoding of DSOTM, but God nows what it may be... The fact that so far only Marantz AVRs are failing to decode it properly may be an indication of a Marantz's misinterpretation of the Atmos standard... or not!

I even tried to disable Auro-3D and then configure again the rear speakers as RHL and RHR or THL/THR and Atmos is only played in FHR/FHL or THR/THL.
I haven’t tried to restore to factory default settings the AVR or running Audyssey after changing the Amp assign, but as I get the same behavior with and without Audyssey, I don’t think this should have any impact.
I'm confused... Surely 'Auro-3D' should no be affecting anything... It's a totally different object-based/immersive audio format!

I'm confused... Surely 'Auro-3D' should no be affecting anything... It's a totally different object-based/immersive audio format!
Yet, how you assign your speakers sure could.
If Dolby doesn't recognize 2 or more of your speakers, surely the sound will suffer.

Makes me wonder if this plays into reviews of a lackluster experience for Dark Side 50 around here.

I've said over and over that there is super low consensus on certain Atmos titles. Lower than any format before, in my experience.

Yet, how you assign your speakers sure could.
If Dolby doesn't recognize 2 or more of your speakers, surely the sound will suffer.

Makes me wonder if this plays into reviews of a lackluster experience for Dark Side 50 around here.

I've said over and over that there is super low consensus on certain Atmos titles. Lower than any format before, in my experience.
It was hard enough for many people (us included) getting a 5.1 ( 5.3 in ours) to sound good in the rooms we set them up in. Sometime years. This especially true in combination living room/music. Now, with this atmos craze, there will obviously be a lot more rooms that will be even harder...or impossible to get the sound to be at least somewhat closer to what was intended by the 'mix'. Here is a portion of what I had posted in regard to Atmos and streaming: Also, much like the 'loudness wars' music companies pulled.. reducing the quality of SOUND is not a problem to them. It WILL happen again. Probably already is. How many real mixers that give a shit do we think there are? Computers will be doing the surround 'mixing' for the millions of songs on streaming outfits. Many subscribers will definitely still eat this shit right up. It really sounds like shit, music spinning around all unorganized, mixed up in all directions like it's on crack........but It's Atmos! By the way, I think atmos was 'originally mostly' intended for movies. I would think it alot easier to screw up a music mix. There is so much more involved. I may be wrong...but doubt it... edit: "I've said over and over that there is super low consensus on certain Atmos titles. Lower than any format before, in my experience." We would tend to understand that would be the case.................

Last edited:
Care to give an example of this? Have you heard any Atmos mixes?
and of course here comes the anger:sneaky: .... I have been clear we do not do 'atmos' . Read again. Never said atmos doesn't work for everyone..did I? Edit: also, I remember some people, mostly younger, loving the loudness wars for their cars and earbuds. Music companies screwed up some good albums during this. One example I actually own that was put into a DVDA was Stained 14 shades of grey. Man, we were so hoping this one was fixed, but, nope .... still toast...but with better resolution...:p Take care man Mike

Last edited:
I don't understand all the acronyms being used here. What is RHR, SHR etc?

It's just how that processor designates a speaker channel/location. Rear Height Right and Surround Height Right most likely. Too lazy to look up the exact definition in a Marantz/Denon manual, but I'm sure you get the gist.

It's been so long since I configured that Marantz I don't remember what all options it had. But I don't remember any playback issues with it.

It's just how that processor designates a speaker channel/location. Rear Height Right and Surround Height Right most likely. Too lazy to look up the exact definition in a Marantz/Denon manual, but I'm sure you get the gist.

It's been so long since I configured that Marantz I don't remember what all options it had. But I don't remember any playback issues with it.
That's what they are, correct But I created a separate thread to discuss it, let's not derail even more this one

Problem statement: Marantz AVRs (need to confirm it’s only for this brand) incorrectly play the DSOTM Atmos test tones and music on the height speakers. Information on the rear height channels is played at the same time on front and rear height channels. Issue was detected with DSOTM blu-ray because it has got the test tones, but we cannot know if this problem is happening with any other blu-rays or streaming content in Atmos.
Two users reported the problem so far, and both have in common that Auro-3D is enabled in the AVR and rear height speakers are configured as SHL and SHR (Auro-3D recommended configuration) as opposite to RHL and RHR (Atmos recommendation).

In my case, when configuring the rear height speakers as RHL and RHR, the AVR test tones work perfectly in all speakers, but any real Atmos content (no matter if it’s streaming or Blu-ray, real songs or test tones) is only played through the front height speakers. All content sent to the rear height speakers is not played. Restoring the configuration to SHL/SHR makes all test tones and Atmos content to be played fine (apart from DSOTM).

This behavior puzzles me, as despite the usage of SHL and SHR is a recommended configuration, I believe the regular configuration for Atmos based on RHL and RHR should work.

My request here for all Marantz/DSOTM owners would be to fill in the form below:
• Marantz AVR model (mine is SR7011)
• Do you have Auro-3D enabled? Y/N (in my case is Y)
• Do you have regular height speakers or in-ceiling (top) speakers? Mine are regular height speakers
• Which configuration do you have for rear height speakers? RHL/RHR or SHL/SHR? I have SHL/SHR, but my rear speakers are located on top of the surrounds back (less than 5º behind the listening spot)
• Does DSOTM test tones play correctly in the rear heights for you? As I commented, test tones aimed only for the rears, are played at the same time in the fronts and rears

Let’s see if we can get to any conclusion based on the survey. Hopefully is some misconfiguration on my side and not a SW bug.

Note: there has to be something different with the Atmos encoding of DSOTM, but God nows what it may be... The fact that so far only Marantz AVRs are failing to decode it properly may be an indication of a Marantz's misinterpretation of the Atmos standard... or not!
I only have one pair of in-ceiling speakers: TML and TMR (Top Middle). Sounds coming from front height and rear height are redirected to the top middle speakers in my case, so I don't think I can be of much help. I've recently upgraded from a Denon x6400h to a Marantz AV 10, and I haven't noticed any change in behaviour. Dark Side in Atmos is one of the first titles that I played :) to test the new AV processor.

I don't think I can activate Auro 3D without having FH and RH speakers, but I will try the test tones and report back.

I only have one pair of in-ceiling speakers: TML and TMR (Top Middle). Sounds coming from front height and rear height are redirected to the top middle speakers in my case, so I don't think I can be of much help. I've recently upgraded from a Denon x6400h to a Marantz AV 10, and I haven't noticed any change in behaviour. Dark Side in Atmos is one of the first titles that I played :) to test the new AV processor.

I don't think I can activate Auro 3D without having FH and RH speakers, but I will try the test tones and report back.
so does the smiley face mean that you liked it?
i'm asking because i think if and when i do atmos it will be just a pair of speakers as well.

Skimmed this thread - what about the missing "stereo" mix?

By this, I mean the SQ encoded LP.

From 1978 to the mid-1980s, this was the only "stereo" version of DSotM that I listened to.

Although the discrete quad mix (fed through an SQ encoder to make the LP) is almost certainly better than the SQ decoded LP, I would like to have a restored version (with careful attention to minimizing additional phase shifts in the restoration) of the SQ encoded stereo version.

If all else fails, maybe a cleaned up needledrop of the SQ encoded LP could be used for the restoration (maybe for the 51st anniversary on 2024-03-01). :)

Kirk Bayne

SDE is reporting a new Dark Side 2LP picture disc to be released in April. I guess the band isn't done milking every last penny out of the 50th anniversary celebrations. I mean, I guess it looks cool, but we still don't have surround mixes for The Wall, The Final Cut or many of the early albums.

cover_pic.jpg

spread_1500.jpg

Back