Pioneer QH-44 Q8 Deck Feedback On its Virtues?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

Hi Everyone,
For years I've been an Akai CR-80D-SS Fan. I have one fully restored and with new transistors, but someone that I know who sold quad equipment back in the 70"s tells me the Pioneer QH-44 Q8 player is a much better deck, at least concerning wow & flutter which I admit I hear in my Akai. Any coments about the Pioneer from first hand experience and how it compares to the Akai would be appreciated before I start looking for one . I always thought the Akai had the best fidelity.

Glenn Halteman Reading, PA

I have always touted the Akai because of it's sturdy construction and the fact it has a huge AC motor, that is less prone to failure. As far as fidelity goes, there may be better decks, but I doubt due to the aging tapes, that any of these decks perform as well as what they once did. Unfortunately, eight tracks cartridges are too much involved in the mechanics of playback. They rely on very cheaply made bearings for the pinch roller, and the tape has to slip against itself to work properly. Also, finding the right belt can be a challenge these days. All these things affect wow and flutter. Also, during recording, the tapes were recorded using high speed duplication. Not a way to improve fidelity. Thus, eight tracks will always sound inferior to other methods of recording. The Akai, however, with a good tape, can make an outstanding recording, better than pre record. That is, if it is working up to it's original capacity.

Never thought of the Pioneer Q8 deck as anything special; Harman Kardon 8+ delivered great results with little wow and flutter.

Back