Playstation 3 will support SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacd29

Guess Sony is not throwing in the towel..

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

Details from this link

Disc Media
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

But it has no DSD sound processor. It has DD, DTS and strangely LPCM... we shall see if the avarage gamer will re-discover his Beyonce Hybrid-SACD in surround-sound...

I suspect that is just an ommision, does say 'etc' after all. The specs do state the hi-res layer of SACD is supported.

LPCM? Does anybody still use that?! :rolleyes:

Have they confirmed 5.1 analog outputs (through a breakout cable, I'd imagine)?

It stinks they aren't supporting DVD-A. Stupid politics.

Beer Monkey said:
Have they confirmed 5.1 analog outputs (through a breakout cable, I'd imagine)?

They say it supports Surround Sound SACD playback along with DTS and Dolby Digital. So it will need some sort of 5.1 analog output. We'll know more as the release date gets closer.

Since Sony has now officially released a DVD-A, they really need to add DVD-A to the PS3 playback specs. They are already paying for an MLP license for Blu-Ray, it is time to rise to the occasion and support DVD-A on PS3, especially since it supports almost every other codec in popular use today.

Step up, Sony! Release hardware that supports your own music releases!

I agree. One is a CD format, one a DVD format. They should co-exist together, and let the chips fall where they may. There is no reason to favor one or the other.

Back