Pretzel Logic is 45

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Dan-o-philes know that Pretzel Logic was released forty-five years ago today, February 20, 1974--Walter Becker's 24th birthday, as it happens.

I know what I'll be playing today. Not to be morose about it or anything, but I wish I could be playing Elliot Scheiner's completed 5.1 mix instead.

Open petition here (you never know--another hundred-odd people have found it on their own since we gave up last year); anniversary appreciation here; crazy-obsessive Dan-centered forensic urban geography here.

61KPvDXn7wL._SL1280_.jpg

I will be joining you in appreciating it tonight. I have both the LP & QS CD so I'll listen to the latter & probably reminisce while looking at the former. Alas I wish I had the new SM V2 I'll just be stuck using DPL II. Well everything sounds better with a bit wine.

Pretzel Logic (and other SD songs) come from a time that musicians could experiment & have a little fun with clever/quirky lyrics, funky music like East St Louis Toodle-Oo (a song from 1920's). Now it's not about creativity just$$. It's like music written by focus groups.

Every time I throw the quad mix on, I just get aggravating because I'm constantly trying to figure out what's going on. Playing it through headphones with the fronts panned left and the rears panned right revealed that it's essentially "double stereo" with the occasional instrument leaning front or back. A real waste, if you ask me.

The stereo mix is, unfortunately, a far more engaging listen, and you'll get more surround effect using a good decoder or DSP. Say what you will about flaws with the other two Steely Dan quads, but at least they're discrete.

What I'd give to heard Mr. Scheiner's take on this incredible album. I bet he knocked it out of the park, as he always does...

:(

Last edited:
Every time I throw the quad mix on, I just get aggravating because I'm constantly trying to figure out what's going on or what the intent was. The stereo mix is, unfortunately, a far more engaging listen, and you'll get more surround effect using a good decoder or DSP. Say what you will about flaws with the other two Steely Dan quads, but at least they're discrete.

What I'd give to heard Mr. Scheiner's take on this incredible album. I bet he knocked it out of the park, as he always does...

:(

+1

Dan-o-philes know that Pretzel Logic was released forty-five years ago today, February 20, 1974--Walter Becker's 24th birthday, as it happens.

I know what I'll be playing today. Not to be morose about it or anything, but I wish I could be playing Elliot Scheiner's completed 5.1 mix instead.

Open petition here (you never know--another hundred-odd people have found it on their own since we gave up last year); anniversary appreciation here; crazy-obsessive Dan-centered forensic urban geography here.

61KPvDXn7wL._SL1280_.jpg

It was also a time when HOT PRETZELS in Central Park were just 15 CENTS!

I'll be playing my SHM~SACD version which comes in that nifty little box!

See the source image

Last edited:
I saw Steely Dan in concert promoting this album. Las Vegas Convention Center 1974.

A wonderful concert, amazing sound and setlist.

Nothing like what I've seen in videos from their later shows of the last 15 or however many years it's been. Really rocking hard and loud. I also saw the previous tour for CTE album in 1973.

What wonderful times - I thought that they would never end.

PL was the last entire album to feature Becker & Fagen and the rest of the band: Denny Dias & Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on guitars and Jim Hodder on drums. That's who you saw in '74. Baxter was reputed to be odiferous, hence the "Skunk" moniker.

I bought PL on:
2ch LP (first day released)
Q8 (first day released)
QS LP
US CD
4 CD Citizen Steely Dan box (1st issues missing the marimba intro on Rikki)

I might listen to this album today, although I'm Through with Buzz.

Last edited:
PL was the last entire album to feature Becker & Fagen and the rest of the band: Denny Dias & Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on guitars and Jim Hodder on drums. That's who you saw in '74. Baxter was reputed to be odiferous, hence the "Skunk" moniker.

I bought PL on:
2ch LP (first day released)
Q8 (first day released)
QS LP
US CD
4 CD Citizen Steely Dan box (1st issues missing the marimba intro on Rikki)

I might listen to this album today, although I'm Through with Buzz.
45 years is unreal. Can you imagine when folks are saying 100 years ago, Steely Dan roamed the earth and the rock charts!!!

I have one of those electric spice grinders, like a mini-mixer/ blender with sharp blade. I'm thinking of putting my fresh stash into the darn thing, powderize the herbs. Then take a Betty Crocker package of oatmeal cookie mix prepared, one tablespoon of powdered herbs, to three tablespoons of oatmeal cookie mix, make 5 or 6 large cookies with killer buzz baked into them. No really, easier on the throat and lungs, but a real good buzz included, god bless Betty Crocker and her proven cookie recipes.

And that Steely Dan album is great - but I do like Katy and Scam slightly more in fact.

One of my fav albums. Still enjoy listening to it today. I have the QS album, but it does not have very much dynamic range. Would luv to come across the Canadian Q8 or how bout a new quad digital pressing from somewhere!

I still wonder if the Quad mix was a mis-print. Is the QS LP the same lame duck as the Q8?

I mean, the GRT swapped channel error is well known, could they have accidentally set it so that the front channels went to BOTH front and back and the back channels are mixed into the back as well? (Did that make any sense? It barely did to me!)

It just seems so strange that the first two are very good mixes and nicely discrete while this one shit the bed completely.

Back