The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly haven't even heard of some of the UK ax he released or not further than a single song it's been a strikeout for me on most of the releases other than the MK which intrigued me enough to go for it as I love his guitar sound. Hoping I'll find some more appealing things as we get further later in the year. We had the newest Duran Duran I wonder if we'd get any others.
I'm with you. I've gotten 10 Years After, Dylan, Def Leppard, Oldfield, one of the Tears For Fears and pre-ordered Mark Knopfler.
My biggest complaint is that most of the releases have been UK-centric bands that didn't have much success in the US. If they were hard rock bands I'd take a chance, but most are pop bands.

Paul / SDE seems stuck in the 80's MTV era. New pre-order for Howard Jones BD 5.1. 80's is OK, I liked a lot of it back in its day (key phrase is back in its day) but for a lot of it, it's not what I call "classic" collectible. I've already bought some of SDE's homages to synth pop. Do something different.

Time to move on? I think so.

EDIT - if Paul could get his hands on Men At Work, classic Duran Duran, Power Station/Robert Palmer, I'd be in for that in 5.1/Atmos. But H Jones? Sounds like most homogenized synth-pop of that era - same old same old. Men At Work had some unique songs. Do them. Or Simple Minds, even CULTURE CLUB! o_O

Last edited:
I'm with you. I've gotten 10 Years After, Dylan, Def Leppard, Oldfield, one of the Tears For Fears and pre-ordered Mark Knopfler.
My biggest complaint is that most of the releases have been UK-centric bands that didn't have much success in the US. If they were hard rock bands I'd take a chance, but most are pop bands.

Amen!

Paul / SDE seems stuck in the 80's MTV era. New pre-order for Howard Jones BD 5.1. 80's is OK, I liked a lot of it back in its day (key phrase is back in its day) but for a lot of it, it's not what I call "classic" collectible. I've already bought some of SDE's homages to synth pop. Do something different.

Time to move on? I think so.

EDIT - if Paul could get his hands on Men At Work, classic Duran Duran, Power Station/Robert Palmer, I'd be in for that in 5.1/Atmos. But H Jones? Sounds like most homogenized synth-pop of that era - same old same old. Men At Work had some unique songs. Do them. Or Simple Minds, even CULTURE CLUB! o_O
Those first two Howard Jones albums are classics... you should give them a chance. He was not a one hit wonder. I like the rest of your suggestions and would buy those as well (other than Culture Club).

Those first two Howard Jones albums are classics... you should give them a chance. He was not a one hit wonder. I like the rest of your suggestions and would buy those as well (other than Culture Club).

I wasn't serious about CC ;)

No.DateArtistTitle (year, if different)
Units​
Atmos EngineerLinks
1​
2022-02-25​
Tears for FearsThe Tipping Point
2000 (1st)
2500 (2nd)​
Steven Wilson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
[ SDE PAGE ] [ DISCOGS PAGE ]
2​
2022-05-20​
xPropagandaThe Heart is Strange
1500​
Stephen Lipson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
3​
2022-07-22​
Gilbert O'SullivanDriven
750​
Richard Whittaker[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
4​
2022-09-30​
Shakespears SisterHormonally Yours (1992)
2000​
Caesar Edmunds[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
5​
2022-10-14​
Brian EnoFOREVERANDEVERNOMORE
2500​
Brian Eno[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
6​
2023-02-17​
OrbitalOptical Delusion
1750​
Mark Ayres[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
6.5​
2023-03-17​
Various ArtistsConcert for George (2003)xxxxPaul Hicks[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
7​
2023-03-17​
Ten Years AfterA Space in Time (1971)
1000 (1st)
1000 (2nd)​
Kurt Martinez[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
8​
2023-05-13​
Bob DylanTime Out of Mind (1997)
5000​
Michael Brauer
Fernando Reyes
[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
9​
2023-06-09​
Tears for FearsThe Hurting (1983)
7000​
10​
2023-05-26​
Mike OldfieldTubular Bells (1973)
5000​
David Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
11​
2023-07-07​
SuedeSuede (1993)
3000​
12​
2023-08-04​
ABCThe Lexicon of Love (1982)
5000​
13​
2023-10-27​
Duran DuranDanse MacabrexxxxBob Clearmountain[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
14​
2023-12-01​
Trevor HornEchoes: Ancient & ModernxxxxTim Weidner[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
15​
2023-12-01​
Soft CellNon-Stop Erotic Cabaret (1981)
4000​
Chris Bolster[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
16​
2024-02-23​
Def LeppardDiamond Star HalosxxxxSteven Wilson[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
17​
2024-03-15​
Paul YoungNo Parlez (1983)xxxxDavid Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
18​
2024-04-12​
Mark KnopflerOne Deep River
2000 (1st)
500(2nd)​
Guy Fletcher[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
19​
2024-04-26​
Wham!Fantastic (1983)xxxxChris Porter[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
20​
2024-04-26​
Wham!Make It Big (1984)xxxxChris Porter[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
21​
2024-05-20​
KeaneHopes and Fears (2004)
2500​
David Kosten[ QQ THREAD ] [ QQ POLL ]
[ SDE PAGE ] [ DISCOGS PAGE]
(Table added by @steelydave Feb. 9th, 2024)

---------

With the announcement of a Surround Sound Series from SuperDeluxeEdition.com (aka SDE) I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated thread for this new series. At the moment of course we know that the series has started off with two titles:

#1: Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point (limited edition of 2,000 copies)
#2: xPropaganda - The Heart is Strange (limited edition of 1,000 copies)

Looking forward to seeing what the future will bring. With the future in mind, I just sent an e-mail to SDE editor Paul Sinclair:

Hello Paul -

I just wanted to say how excited and grateful I am for the new SDE Surround Sound series. Those of us who enjoy surround sound have been feeling neglected by the record companies. It's wonderful to have you championing surround sound and making new releases happen.

I also wanted to mention that when the record companies started to lose interest in surround sound around twenty years ago, there were many classic albums that had surround mixes completed that have never been released. About twenty years ago, Universal released several classic Elton John albums in surround sound. However, the engineer who created these surround mixes (Greg Penny) has confirmed in interviews that he completed surround mixes of several Elton albums that have never been released. (These include Blue Moves, Caribou, Don't Shoot Me, Rock of the Westies and Made in England). Tony Visconti has mentioned in interviews that he completed surround mixes for Bowie's Lodger and Low years ago; neither has ever been released. Decades ago Eliot Scheiner had mentioned that he completed a surround mix of Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic which also remains unreleased. The list goes on.... Do you think that there is any chance that you might be able to strike a deal with the labels to get these released through the SDE Surround Series? I know that there are a lot of people who would be very excited to have them. (There is regular chatter over on the QuadraphonicQuad forum about this). It's a shame that these surround mixes have been gathering dust in a vault somewhere. Your surround series could be a perfect avenue for their release.

Thank you again for being a champion for surround sound. It is greatly appreciated.

This is such an excellent post, tracking all the SDE exclusives, etc. Thanks for keeping this list going!

Time Out Of Mind 2022 remix is available again.

Of the half-dozen in the series I've collected, by far my most played.

Even if it's not your cup of tea, it should always be collectible & flippable.
And mandatory for the OCD completist who missed out the first round. :geek:

https://www.thesdeshop.com/products...x-limited-edition-sde-exclusive-blu-ray-audio
I am definitely _not_ a Bob Dylan fan. But somehow you convinced me that I would love this release in a few years, so I ordered the combo with Lutha :ROFLMAO:.

From a thread over on SDE regarding Sade vinyl reissues:

Screenshot_20240414-114507_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240414-115820_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From a thread over on SDE regarding Sade vinyl reissues:

View attachment 104416
View attachment 104417
The band's (yes a nice band at that) early 80's CD's are mastered really nice IMO, I've done some Up-mixes of her music from them and they turned out great.

But notice the DR's from the later CD's; may have turned her against it, even though it depends on the engineer, not the format 🧐

No Sade MC is a real loss, and with that I'll say "Adieu"

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/dr/desc?artist=Sade&album=Diamond Life

The band's (yes a nice band at that) early 80's CD's are mastered really nice IMO, I've done some Up-mixes of her music from them and they turned out great.

But notice the DR's from the later CD's; may have turned her against it, even though it depends on the engineer, not the format 🧐

No Sade MC is a real loss, and with that I'll say "Adieu"

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/1/dr/desc?artist=Sade&album=Diamond Life
I know Sade has had CD remasters of earlier material released around 2001. I'm not sure the decision to only allow vinyl remasters recently comes solely down to audio quality. Some artists don't want to potentially dilute their legacy through repeated reissues, and some artists resist reissue campaigns (Portishead comes to mind), because they feel they said all they wanted to say with their original releases.

It can be disappointing to consumers that some artists do this, but there also is an artistic integrity to it all that ought to be admired to an extent.

Who knew Sade was a group? I thought she was a solo artist
Me too. On the other hand, She/they are not on my radar at all, so I won't give an ounce of "shit" if any multi-channel comes out.

EDIT - dumb thing to say......I'm sure there are lots of fans who would love some multi-channel Sade.

Last edited:
It can be disappointing to consumers that some artists do this, but there also is an artistic integrity to it all that ought to be admired to an extent.
But if you're a consumer trying to get into a band's music and you want to buy a brand new copy rather than some old dinged up copy on fleabay, it doesn't help.

As for having said all they wanted to say on the original release, bands should bear in mind the proportion of the world population that hadn't been born at the time and so weren't in a position to hear them say it. Queen gained a load of new fans after Live Aid, many of them young fans who hadn't been old enough to hear or buy stuff during Queen's early years before they went on a bit of a hiatus.

Back