Pseudo Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alkazaba

I have severals old mono recordings that I love. I have processed with CoolEdit to obtain better sound and remove "pops".... but.... How can made to obtaint a pseudo-stereo effect??? Combining reverb and phase shift techniques???

Help!!

Antonio

Gee, I think most of us here are more keen on turning stereo into surround-sound. I've never bothered with trying to convert mono into stereo. Anybody?

Cool edit or cool edit pro. If the later try the mixer section widden the field . Invert the wave on on side , a lot you could do.!
Rob

Yes Rob, I use CE Pro, but the explained solution don't works well.

Some years ago, I check a simple and easy circuit by Philips that's provides a nice psudo-estereo effect, obviously, this is a hardware solution, but the principles can be used for a work on CoolEdit, this is the data sheet:

www-us.semiconductors.phi...A3810.html

Also, this is a interesting article about electronics methods:

www.armory.com/~rstevew/P...ench4.html

I think that the method must be: using additional tracks on CoolEdit to filter and de-phasing mono signals, and after mix this modified signals with the L-R channels (L+modified and R-modified).

I will to make several experiments and explain. Ok?

Antonio

There are several software that can create a pseudo-stereo effect on mono material; one in which you can regulate the effect is Steinberg Wavelab, which does a very good job. Unfortunately, it is very $!
A cheaper solution that delivers good results is using "spin doctor" provided in the Easy Cd Creator 3.5. It has a option for m->s that worked very well and comparable to the Orban stereo sinthetizer.
Beware: Aadaptec used two diferent external DLL for the Spin Doctor software, the best one is the irts release, which was based on a Arboretum package. Later version (from 3.5c, not sure if 3.5b) used a different DLL set that was still good but not as the previous for the m->s effect.

Hola Alcazaba.

Why mess with a good mono recording?

Going to 4.0 or 5.x would add surround sound --which most of us here think is a good thing-- but mono to stereo would only screw the original recording while keeping everything in the same "front" plane.

You are likely to have better results recreating ambiance and putting it in the rear channels. You can do that using a cheap old Lexicon CP-1 or similar.

There's software around that does similar things. Check www.ambiophonics.org

Two weeks off could be very productive for developing a good mono to surround workflow.

Get well soon!

Back