Pumping Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloop

Now I got my 2020 finally.
I plugged it into my SQR-6650 (discrete inputs).
But, the rear Channels are pumping in SQ-mode (doesn't matter if Stereo or Quad LP). The non-logic SQ-Decoder inside the 6650 Receiver never did any pumping.
What can I do against that? (Please no comments like "Buy a Tate")

bloop said:
Now I got my 2020 finally.
I plugged it into my SQR-6650 (discrete inputs).
But, the rear Channels are pumping in SQ-mode (doesn't matter if Stereo or Quad LP). The non-logic SQ-Decoder inside the 6650 Receiver never did any pumping.
What can I do against that? (Please no comments like "Buy a Tate")

Not a great deal frankly. OK, so this isn't the answer you want. Sorry.
Without going too technical, it's a function of the gain-riding logic used. It improves the separation, but that pumping effect is the downside that afflicts all gain-riding decoders. Only the Tate and Variomatrix types avoid this by altering the matrix co-efficients, and they have some side effects of their own.
I used a 2020 for quite a while until some light-fingerer little ~&%£ stole most of my audio gear. Pleased I was not. That said, I never found it's pumping to be anything other than mild -the 2020 is one of the best gain-riding types around. So, it could be a couple of things.
Firstly, it could simply be that you haven't got used to having the separation yet after the far more limited non-logic decoder, so give it a while and see if you still find your teeth grinding.
Next, make sure your speakers are set up optimally for your room and your taste. Avoid the 4 corners, 1 speaker in each square approach with a 90 degree angle between each if you possibly can with logic decoders. It's not so bad with non-logic as the separation is so poor you don't suffer all the drawbacks, but with the decent level of separation from a 2020, it starts to become a little more serious. Move the rears around -if possible try them to the sides of your listening position, firing inward. (check out Wendy Carlos' website for some interesting info on this if you haven't already.)
Next -are your rear speakers identical to the fronts? If not, the this won't help. In Quad, you really need a matched set. Smaller rears are fine for ambiance extraction, but anything more complex, and this becomes an issue. If you use different types, and the rears aren't as efficient as the front speakers this can highlight such effects.
Finally, the 2020 itself could be tired if it hasn't been restored. It's nearly 30 years old now. Re-capping it, and cleaning is always worthwhile.
Hope some of this helps
Best of luck
Scott

Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, my rear speakers are not identical to my front speakers. But this was not a problem in the past when listening to DVD-A/SACD Surround. The results were pretty fine.
What should I restore on my 2020? What's Re-capping?

bloop said:
Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes, my rear speakers are not identical to my front speakers. But this was not a problem in the past when listening to DVD-A/SACD Surround. The results were pretty fine.
What should I restore on my 2020? What's Re-capping?

OK, restoring the 2020. Some basic, and some less basic things to do. There are others, but this is the starting point.
The first thing I'd do is nice and simple -anyone can do this: clean everything. Blow all the dust out with a can of compressed air, and a nice brush from your local electronics store (be careful of static, and always use an anti-static wrist-strap).
All major contacts like phono-connectors, should be cleaned. In fact, everything you can safely clean, clean it.
There are a few ways you can do this. You could use some isopropyl alcohol from a chemists shop, or a product like Kontak. Put it on cotton-buds or pipe-cleaners, and work it into everything, then polish it off with another bud or pipe-cleaner. If the contacts look very tarnished, an alternative is to use a metal polish like Brasso which will cut away all of the dirt. This is quite extreme, but very effective.

Re-capping? This is the start of modifications where, if you're not so good with a soldering iron, you'll need to get someone else who is to do it or you'll destroy your new piece of quad equipment. You'll also need to get a circuit diagram.
If that hasn't frightened you off, here we go! Re-capping means removing some, or all of the capacitors from inside your Sony, and replacing with new ones which will have to be soldered in. This isn't voodoo rubbish like hifi-cabling by the way -it's sound engineering. The 2020 is an old piece of kit now, and electronic components degrade over time. For a start, unless it's been recently restored, I'd replace all of the electrolytic capacitors in the power-supply: they'll be long past their best. Look for brown stains near the top of them -if they're there, it's shot, or less than healthy.
Once this is done, you can take it to the next step. Make a list of all the different types and values of caps. in the rest of the Sony, and, once you've got new replacements -replace. You can get a huge variety of capacitors ranging from pocket-change to UK£300+. Forget the expensive ones though -not worth the effort.
Beyond this is basically a full restoration. Good luck!

This might be a stupid question, but what does "pumping" mean. I just got a 2020 and a friend who was sitting by the rear speaker said it intermittently cut out. Is that pumping? I didn't hear what he was talking about and he may have just been high on dried banana peels or something.

Pumping isn't really the same as a channel cutting out. Pumping is more of a feel of motion as the unit corrects the placement of a sound. Kinda like a jerky sound placement.

These have lots of issues with channels cutting in and out. Most of these issues can be resolved by resoldering the pins on the board, there are lots of threads about that issue such as this one

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...993-not-a-false-alarm-this-time-on-my-sqd2020

Also sometimes the switches need to be cleaned with electronics cleaner.

Ach. Well, I haven't heard it yet and I don't trust this friend's ears. I was busy enjoying how much better the decoding is than through my HK. It's not CD4, but I was really digging how this Kris Kristofferson SQ I have sounded through the 2020.

If I start hearing intermittent drop outs, I guess I'll have to do some soldering, or at least get another friend to do it for me -- I have finger/wrist issues that make that kind of work hard. Mounting a cartridge can be a nightmare with those little screws. My fine motor skills / gripping ability suck. Need surgery.

Yeah, maybe too many banana peels ;D

I hope your thanksgiving/party was nice.

glad you're enjoying the 2020

Mine had that pumping problem but Sony factory service fixed it by making an adjustment. This was back in the day. They probably wouldn't know how to now, if they even have factory service anymore.

Back