Q. about Edgar Winter Band "Shock Treatment" SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Not too long ago, I purchased an SQ LP of the Edgar Winter Band's "Shock Treatment." Now, I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the sound quality of this recording surprised me - lots of harsh midrange and no real bottom end. When I decoded it in Adobe Audition, it didn't sound any better. Has this been other people's experience with this album? Does the Q8 sound any better? Does the stereo CD sound any better? (Neither of which I have heard).

J. D.

Not too long ago, I purchased an SQ LP of the Edgar Winter Band's "Shock Treatment." Now, I don't consider myself an audiophile, but the sound quality of this recording surprised me - lots of harsh midrange and no real bottom end. When I decoded it in Adobe Audition, it didn't sound any better. Has this been other people's experience with this album? Does the Q8 sound any better? Does the stereo CD sound any better? (Neither of which I have heard).

J. D.

I agree. I love the way this lp decodes through the Tate, but it's very bright. I find that bumping up my subs helps, as well as with various other SQ lp's.

The Q8 doesn't sound too bad. Probably one of the nicer sounding Q8's as it has some really nice high end. It doesn't sound muddy like some 8 tracks can sound or is it excessively hissy.
Having said that, I will say that maybe the bottom end is lacking a bit. Compared to some other Q8's, I need to turn my bass knob up a bit to get that nice low-end punch.

But, I would imagine that the LP is EQ'd to be put on an LP. It probably is a little different from the EQ curve for the Q8.

Shock Treatment has a light low end no matter which version you listen to. I've owned the Q8, which accounted for most of my listening. I currently own the SQ, Q8 and CD. I had owned a 2ch LP, as well. The CD has the best low end, followed by the 2ch LP, Q8 and SQ. The Q8 is sorely lacking in low end. I prefer to listen in SQ due to the better s/n, dynamic range and frequency response. No matter which version you play, crank up the bass 'cause there ain't much of it. The music is great, which is what it's really about anyway.

Linda
Diggin' Winter on Easy Street

The Q8 doesn't sound too bad. Probably one of the nicer sounding Q8's as it has some really nice high end. It doesn't sound muddy like some 8 tracks can sound or is it excessively hissy.
Having said that, I will say that maybe the bottom end is lacking a bit. Compared to some other Q8's, I need to turn my bass knob up a bit to get that nice low-end punch.

But, I would imagine that the LP is EQ'd to be put on an LP. It probably is a little different from the EQ curve for the Q8.

The shibata I have really brings out clarity in the highs. I do push the bass up some.

Too bad there isn't a poll for this title.

Its an awesome quad, where is Ed? Lol

Its an awesome quad, where is Ed? Lol

Ed Bishop or Edgar Winter! :p

How I wish all of Edgar's Quads had been given the DTS treatment like the utterly fabulous DTS CD of "Jasmine Nightdreams"! I guess it was too much to ask to get the unreleased one out (that's since escaped the vaults! :yikes) but "They Only Come Out At Night" would have been a big seller on DTS CD (imho!).

How I wish all of Edgar's Quads had been given the DTS treatment like the utterly fabulous DTS CD of "Jasmine Nightdreams"! I guess it was too much to ask to get the unreleased one out (that's since escaped the vaults! :yikes) but "They Only Come Out At Night" would have been a big seller on DTS CD (imho!).

Frankenstein in SQ on the LP is great!

fredblue said:

So far I have the SQ of They Only Come Out at Night and the SQ and Q8 of Shock Treatment. Hope to at least find all the SQs!

I'm on eaasaaay, easy streeeet!

Back