Q4: Tascam 34B

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Tascam 34B
Vintage: 1980's
Rarity: Very rare in homes, much less rare in studios & home studios

34B 4-track deck from Teac's pro division, Tascam.
3693060650_5318862589.jpg

Tascam 34:
Tascam34.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Linda and all,

I came across a Tascam 34-b at a garage sale this weekend. The guy didn't have any tapes or speakers to demonstrate, but everything spun, and it stopped quick, and it was extremely clean, and sounded well lubed and all the lights went on.

He was pushing it as something I could make a solid demo with, but I'm not in a band.
The price tag eventually went down to zero when I started asking about quad recordings and mentioned that i have a 4 channel amp.

So i carried this thing a solid mile to its new home.

Care to tell me a bit more about it?

Where it stands among other models, and maybe some common issues? I'v read about getting these things calibrated and that seems like the hardest part, but is that more for recording?

Also, should i pick up "blank" four channel recordings on ebay?

That is a great deck. I've used it to record and master from. Compared to my 3340 it has a more solid feel. It is much newer than the 3340. Just keep the pitch control centered especially if recording with it in the future.

cool thanks.

Would anyone be kind enough to lead me to the pdf of the manual?

That is a great deck. I've used it to record and master from. Compared to my 3340 it has a more solid feel. It is much newer than the 3340. Just keep the pitch control centered especially if recording with it in the future.

You have to pull out the pitch control for it to have any effect, so it doesn't matter if you keep it centered or not.

And you will want to keep the Cue switch in the down position during any fast winding.

You have to pull out the pitch control for it to have any effect, so it doesn't matter if you keep it centered or not.

And you will want to keep the Cue switch in the down position during any fast winding.

Thanks, I forgot about that. Someone else was running it and we had several tapes recorded at the wrong pitch.

alrighty.

two questions. Why does does it play so fast? I have adjusted the pitch and the large / small reel button and the speed button. Still sounds like the chipmunks.

second question. Why do two channels play forward and two channels play in reverse? thanks for humoring me. Im getting there.

okay third questions. If the belts are old, wouldnt it play slower? or not play at all?

alrighty.

two questions. Why does does it play so fast? I have adjusted the pitch and the large / small reel button and the speed button. Still sounds like the chipmunks.

second question. Why do two channels play forward and two channels play in reverse? thanks for humoring me. Im getting there.

okay third questions. If the belts are old, wouldnt it play slower? or not play at all?

Your tape must have been recorded at 3 3/4 IPS then. What tape is it? And it's a stereo tape. That's why tracks 2 and 4 would be in reverse.

Your tape must have been recorded at 3 3/4 IPS then. What tape is it? And it's a stereo tape. That's why tracks 2 and 4 would be in reverse.

gotcha...

one tape is recorded from radio. thats the one that is stereo. it plays too fast too.

The other is Elvis from Hawaii which is 4 track and it all plays the same direction, but the wrong speed. way to quick. everything else seems fine.
What is the speed of the elvis reel. I dont have the cover. So it might be a dub.

Also, if I do have tapes at 3 3/4ips, can I adjust the tascam to play that?

No you won't be able to play 3 3/4 no matter what you do. Is the Elvis From Hawaii a pre-recorded tape made by Magtec or a copy someone made? If it's a copy it could be 3 3/4 also. Is it on a 10" reel or a 7" reel?

someone else made it. So , I have no Idea the speed. I know its elvis because my parents think its vulgar.

its a 7inch reel.

I have pushed all the speed and size buttons.

There is a modification that can be done for a Teac 3340 to change it from 15 & 7 1/2 ips to 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips. Perhaps the same can be done on a 34B. Otherwise, just listen to the tapes as-is. Look at the bright side, it will save time! :smokin

Or play the tape at 7 1/2 IPS and record it using another machine operating at 15 IPS. Then playback the copy at 7 1/2 IPS. Won't sound very good (I've tried it) but it will be the right speed anyway.

Back