Q8: Harman/Kardon 8+

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True- discrete separation will always be better. But if the mix is the same between Q8 & SQ, which most of Columbia's music was, a fully functioning SQ Surround Master, Audionics S&IC, or Fosgate Tate comes pretty damned close. Back when the HK 8+ was sold SQ decoders had extremely poor separation. The pictured Sony SQD-1000 pictured was one of them. You couldn't hear the quad mix at all. The newer decoders reveal the mix quite well.

I use Studio Sound for my belts too! They are always great to do business and I've bought lots of 8-Track belts from em!

With those pictures of the guy cleaning the melted belt off, it looks like he replaced it with a rubber band! A rubber band will turn to goo in a matter of months. It is also too strechy and will stretch and slip. A good belt will last decades. The best ones never turn to goo either. I had to clean my Sony Q8 of belt goo. What a mess. But i cleaned it extra well because the innards of that deck look like it came off the assembly line yesterday.

Other thing that I noticed is that the individual is cleaning the 'goo' with alcohol. I learned from 8 track heaven to use ammonia for cleaning that tar mess. Ammonia works very well, as I have de-tarred quite a few 8-track units, including three different Zenith Allegro systems.

Update: Today they send me an email that they don't have any of this belt in stock. Back to the drawing board....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can find just about any belt at a place called Russell Industries, you might have to mention the PRB series.

You can find just about any belt at a place called Russell Industries, you might have to mention the PRB series.

Yes. They bought what was PRB. Projector-Recorder Belt Co. They were within driving distance for me in the 90s. They had rubber lathes and could make pinch rollers or any belt. http://www.russellind.com/contact.htm
Russell doesn't appear to have on-line ordering, or their site navigation is not great.

Yes. They bought what was PRB. Projector-Recorder Belt Co. They were within driving distance for me in the 90s. They had rubber lathes and could make pinch rollers or any belt. http://www.russellind.com/contact.htm
Russell doesn't appear to have on-line ordering, or their site navigation is not great.

Yes, you have to call in.

Back