Q8- Panasonic RE-8840 (converter)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8trackman

Q8 (converter?): Panasonic RE-8840

weird 8 track player made by Panasonic- looks like part of it detached so you could stick into any "stereo" 8 track machine to get quad

this attachment was called the "Convertible"- someone please verify what the purpose of this attachment is because I am guessing

has remote capabilities at the back for the SH-1010 + a joystick at the front + a funky fake oscilloscope thing

Rarity: Uncommon

Average Sale Price: $20-60.00

Front

8trakconv4.jpg

8trackconv3.jpg

8trackconv1.jpg

8trackconv2.jpg

Back

8trackconv5.jpg

8trackconv6.jpg

these are cheap enough that I want to buy one just for the heck of it

Last edited:
If I remember, this was set up so you could take the Q8 player from your home and put it in your car! The car piece was a matching device with the same slot so the player just went with you. Kinda like a portable car/home Satellite Radio unit. You'd have a base dock at home, and a car mount in the car.

Pretty cool, actually!

This is the first quadraphonic system that I ever owned. Though I have since bought better ones, occasionally I'll still hook one of these up and run it a bit to keep it exercised.
To answer a few questions on this.
1. The 8-track part was indeed designed to be removed for use in an automobile. Panasonic sold an optional AS-9003/RD-8840MC mounting bracket, which included an amplifier and 4 speakers. To date, I have not been able to locate one, but I'm continually searching for it.
2. The 'Balance Indicator' is their name / description for the 'scope looking display. It has an red indicator dot that is linked to the balance joystick below it, so that you have a visual of how you have your sound field balanced.
3. It does have the back hookup for the optional remote joystick. These show up from time to time, I just haven't got my hands on one yet.
4. These systems, from what I've seen over the years, are fairly common.

Again, not a bad 'first' system, especially if you do not already have a quadraphonic receiver / amplifier.

This is the first quadraphonic system that I ever owned. Though I have since bought better ones, occasionally I'll still hook one of these up and run it a bit to keep it exercised.
To answer a few questions on this.
1. The 8-track part was indeed designed to be removed for use in an automobile. Panasonic sold an optional AS-9003/RD-8840MC mounting bracket, which included an amplifier and 4 speakers. To date, I have not been able to locate one, but I'm continually searching for it.
2. The 'Balance Indicator' is their name / description for the 'scope looking display. It has an red indicator dot that is linked to the balance joystick below it, so that you have a visual of how you have your sound field balanced.
3. It does have the back hookup for the optional remote joystick. These show up from time to time, I just haven't got my hands on one yet.
4. These systems, from what I've seen over the years, are fairly common.

Again, not a bad 'first' system, especially if you do not already have a quadraphonic receiver / amplifier.
There’s a convertible unit on ebay right now, but the 8840 itself is nowhere to be found

Q8 (converter?): Panasonic RE-8840

weird 8 track player made by Panasonic- looks like part of it detached so you could stick into any "stereo" 8 track machine to get quad

this attachment was called the "Convertible"- someone please verify what the purpose of this attachment is because I am guessing

has remote capabilities at the back for the SH-1010 + a joystick at the front + a funky fake oscilloscope thing

Rarity: Uncommon

Average Sale Price: $20-60.00

Front

8trakconv4.jpg

8trackconv3.jpg

8trackconv1.jpg

8trackconv2.jpg

Back

8trackconv5.jpg

8trackconv6.jpg

these are cheap enough that I want to buy one just for the heck of it
If anybody has one for sale, I’m definitely interested!

Back