Quad 45s

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed,
if you look back at ray Thomas threads, you may remember we finally got the answer to the question of this being a qs lp. It is Not!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4220&highlight=ray+thomas

Somehow I missed this one, referenced in THIS thread.

I have many EP's, with and without PS's, mostly on WB or ABC/Command Quadraphonic. This stuff is fairly common(for quad), fun to have but nothing(on the main)essential, I would think.

One interesting album I've yet to put in the spotlight is Ray Thomas' FROM MIGHTY OAKS, his 1975 debut solo album. It's listed as a 'quiet' QS release, and if that is so, then the singles released from the album should be QS also, even if edited. Since "High Above My Head" and "Love Is The Key" were issued as separate singles for DJ's(and combined for commercial release), logic would suggest these are QS too.

ED :)

Tad,

That was January of '05...I can barely remember last week!
6456212-Ti.gif

Funny thing is, I've yet to play that one again to verify(in my mind)it's not quad. Shoulda done that, helps the ol' memory....
46497328-Ti.gif

Promo-only for Grundig; very intresting, it has been released in 1976, and IIRC it's the only 7' with Oye Como Va SQ.

Last edited:
Since the soundtrack for "Tommy" was an unmarked QS release, would the single of Elton John's "Pinball Wizard" also be QS?

J. D.

Angel made 12" 45 rpm Quad records released as part of the 45 Angel Sonic Series. The seven titles I have are listed below:

Angel SQ SS-45011 Mstislav Rostropovich Orchestre de Paris Rostropovich Conducts: Rimsky-Korsakov: (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45018 Jean Martinon Orchestre de Paris Ravel: Rapsodie Expagnole etc. (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45021 Eugen Jochum London Symp. Orch. Beethoven Overtures: Fidelio, Coriolan etc. (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45023 Neville Marriner Academy of St. Martin Mozart: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Sleigh Ride, etc.(45 rpm)
Angel SQ SSB-4501 Klaus Tennstedt London Phil. Orch. Mahler: Symphony No. 1 (45 rpm) two discs
Angel SQ SSB-4502 Mstislav Rostropovich Orchestre de Paris Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade (45 rpm) two discs
tcdriver

Two more that I have:

Angel SQ SS-45002 Herbert von Karajan & Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; Ravel: Bolero, Johann Strauss II: On the Beautiful Blue Danube (45 rpm)
Angel SQ SS-45005 Lamberto Gardelli & London Symphony Orchestra; Respighi: The Pines of Rome (45 rpm)

The latter has a large silver "45 Angel Sonic Series" sticker on the cover. Not exactly jukebox material, but they ARE 45s...

Mark Z

In thinking about the SQ encoded Genesis show streaming over at Wolfgangs Concert Vault (http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=20050270|2575&aid=30376), I started thinking about this thread regarding quad 45s. Does anyone have the Genesis 45 of The Carpet Crawlers / Evil Jam (The Waiting Room Live)? If so, then the b-side may be an unmarked quad 45. It all depends on whether or not the mix of the b-side was taken directly from the KBFH tape or if it was remixed for the single. I don't have a copy of this single, but if anyone does (who can do SQ decoding), can you check it?

J. D.

I've found some information on another quad 45 to add to the list. This tidbit is from the website of mastering engineer Ian Cooper:

"Ian mastered Acker Bilk’s 1976 "Aria", the first quadraphonic single to make the UK charts"

J. D.

There were no CD-4 jukeboxes to my knowledge. However, it might have been possible. If you can control the manufacture of the cartridge, the demodulator, the turntable, and have all optimized for each other, and with the faster 45rpm playing speed, CD-4 on a jukebox might have been feasable. A jet puff of air before each play could keep the stylus clean, and a sealed compartment with filtration systems could keep dust off the records. But I doubt any jukebox manufacturers were willing to make a serious attempt at it. The quad jukeboxes I saw in service were never set up correctly with sattellite speakers. Though they had four speakers, you can't get quad from one box.

The Quadfather

I did notice the SQ 45s almost never had b-sides of non album cuts, like mono and stereo ones did. Take for example, the Raiders quad 45 of 'Indian Reservation' b/w 'Birds Of A Feather', vs. the stereo 45 (US) 'Indian Reservation' b/w 'Terry's Tune', the b-side being a non album cut. Like someone said, nothing ever substantial on quad 45s generally.

There never was such a single, AFAIK.
Hence its non-inclusion on the Billboard Hot 100.

I never knew that. Wow, they sure played it a lot on my local radio station at the time. Interesting.

But there was a U.K. single of "PW" released, backed with "Harmony." It reached #7 on the U.K. charts.

J. D.

Since the soundtrack for "Tommy" was an unmarked QS release, would the single of Elton John's "Pinball Wizard" also be QS?

J. D.

Related to Tommy soundtrack, there was a 45 with a song called "Overture for Tommy" released only as a single.
That song is available now on CD version, assuming it has the original quad mix.
You can find more HERE

We used to hear that as a theme song for a TV transmission here in Italy during late 70s to late 90s (in mono of course)

I never knew that. Wow, they sure played it a lot on my local radio station at the time.

Was it ever. Had PW been a single, it almost certainly would have made #1.
But album sales were the goal, then as now. Polydor, the label for the Tommy ST, probably wasn't interested in promoting artists signed to other labels.

So "Harmony" was on the flip side of the U.K. single? That song also got massive U.S. airplay, and if released as a single "A" side could also have made #1.

EJ was burning up the charts in the first half of 1975, and all without a current album -- or even a record deal. His contract with MCA had expired, and Captain Fantastic hadn't been released yet. Meanwhile, the public screamed for more, so he put out Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and Philadelphia Freedom, both orphan #1 singles. In desperation, MCA unearthed older EJ catalog, resulting in recharts like Tiny Dancer. Radio also kept playing non-singles from GYBR, including Candle in the Wind, Funeral for a Friend, and Harmony. That last one was actually a U.S. "B" side (with Bennie and theJets, 1973).

Update: Polydor did release a U.S. promo single of Pinball Wizard, backed with Tina Turner/Acid Queen PRO-002 -- that explains the widespread airplay. But it was never available for sale, and therefore did not qualify for the Billboard charts.

Last edited:
Here's another CD-4 45 to add to the list, though it's only a setup disc.

http://tinyurl.com/2gbsh4

JVC CD-4 DEMODULATOR ADJUSTMENT QUADRADISC 45 RPM

This is a 45 RPM Quadradisc for setting up CD-4 Demodulators. Model number is4DE-202.

J. D.

I just purchased a A&M Sansui QS record of Joan Baez entitled Come in from the Shadows 1972. What a surprise when i looked inside the album cover and discovered a Vangard 45 Quadraphonic record. It's SQ and has the songs Maria Dolores and Deportee. It as the album is in mint condition. Im pretty sure it has never been played. It is in its own cover.

Yeah, that's the 'bonus 45' from the quad edition of Joan's BLESSED ARE... album. The stereo Lp also had a bonus 45, and the domestic CD reissue had a second disc with only those two songs.

Nice surprise, eh? :D

Rustyandi: Some of the titles in your list I haven't found anywhere else. Can you provide catalog ID's (record numbers), song titles (A- and B-sides), and countries of origin for the releases from Four Leaves, Ben Wasson, Jan Lindblad, Iguana, Sweet Thunder (need label for that one as well), Barbara Streisand, and Bonnie Koloc? Also as much of this kind of info as possible for the demo disc with Chicago on one side and the New York Philharmonic on the other? I'm compiling a very detailed list of 7" quad releases, both singles and EP's, and this would be a great help. Hope to post my results to QQ soon.

Back