Quad FM Radio... proof at last!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is the problem with pigeon holing music to one category or another. Im my mind "Rock the Boat" is in no way disco, not even proto disco. If I had to categorize it I might call it soul or even pop. I've long considered Bee Gees - Jive Talkin’ to be the first disco type record (that I was aware of), but I'm sure that it's not. That record for me was a big departure in that groups style (and I didn't like it). Still even that record is not exactly what I would consider to be disco.

Anyway I think that it's time to pull out my 45 of Brother Jake and The Incinerators "Disco's In The Garbage". "All my disco records are deep inside a bin, let me open up the lid and throw more garbage in"!

Sorry if I'm offending anybody who actually likes disco, it was very polarizing at the time. The way it came in and overtook (dominated) all other forms of music fueled the extreme backlash against it.
In my old age, I have no gripes with disco. A good song is a good song, period. However, in my youth, I was angry about how disco came in and wiped rock music off the map for a good 2-3 years, especially where radio was concerned. The overkill had nothing to do with the artists, but more to do with the folks at the record labels who were trying to cash in. Coincidentally, quad icon Ken Rasek was working at WLUP at the same time the disco destruction event at Comiskey Park was staged.

The first Disco record has always been considered "Don't leave me this way" by Thelma Houston.
Damn, I'm all confused now. This came out in 76, but then rock the boat was 74, and also, George McCrae "Rock your baby" is another one I've seen mentioned as being the first disco hit. That one might have beat rock the boat to the the top spot by a month or two. Thelma's version of "don't leave me this way" is good, but the original by the Blue Notes might be even a little better. Teddy Pendergrass was hard to beat!

Well I pulled out my "Disco's In The Garbage" 45 the other day and dubbed it to the hard drive. I just checked YouTube and you can find it there

also for those disco freaks out there here is a collection of "disco" tracks from 1975. Disco 75: Various Artists, 3CD - Cherry Red Records Of the tracks that I remember off the top of my head, I don't think of them as disco either, but the genre had to start somewhere. All the Cherry Red CD sets that I've purchased so far have good to great sound quality (not compressed)! So buy with confidence.

Back