R.I.P. Jim Ladd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Jim's syndicated radio show, Innerview, was a real favorite of mine when I was growing up. He did some exceptional interviews with Roger Waters and many others. Roger brought Jim on the road for his 1987 Radio KAOS tour. My friends and I were lucky enough to meet Jim (and Roger) on opening night of the tour. Jim was very kind to us all and took the time to chat with us and sign autographs.

R.I.P. Jim.

šŸ˜¢

Jim Ladd, Legendary Los Angeles Disc Jockey, Dead at 75

Sad news indeed. He was a staple at LA rock stations KMET and KLOS fm and an advocate of free form radio, long before radio stations stuck to playlists . Listened to him pretty much daily when I lived in South California . I remember a listener challenged him about being to play anything he wanted on the air , he played Rare Earthā€™s - Get Ready , the long 20 plus minute version! He definitely went against the grain. His late night show ā€œheadsetsā€ was a favorite. Met him at his book signing a long time ago , very friendly guy.
RIP Jim .

Last edited:
Outside the Providence Civic Center, August 14, 1987. (I'm on the left). Opening night of the Radio KAOS tour. You could tell that Jim was so excited to be debuting this great piece of rock theater. He told me and my friends that we had no idea what a wild ride that was in store for us...and he was right. The show was amazing. And Jim's presence on stage was a big part of it. He brought a sense of warmth and humor previously unheard of in Waters/Floyd shows.

jim ladd.jpeg

Very sad news indeed. I loved listening to him late at night in college in Claremont in the late 70s on KMET while doing endless homework sets. Lots of Doors, especially Jim Morrison doing poetry. Also Tom Petty and Warren Zevon. Lots of Pink Floyd, mostly The Wall, but the cuts that nobody else played. Some of my best music memories.

Oh no. His good friend Dusty Street passed just a few weeks ago. I listened to both on Sirius deep tracks whenever I could. He will be missed.
Yeah, not good. These two, Dusty and Jim, Titans of Free Form Radio.
I have listened to Dusty my whole life of course being from SF, Jim, only been listening to him about the last 10 years on Sirius XM radio, great show.

I was at a record release party at Capitol studios on Vine about 5 years ago. And Jim was there to introduce the artist and the new album to this small group in Studio A. And I had seem him over the years in pictures and once before in person. But when I saw him this last time I was shocked at how old he looked. Of course we all look older as well. But my picture in my mind and then the image in person was strikingly different. He had gotten old, but his voice was sort of young like before. But my point is that we are not just getting on up there, but everyone is starting to drop off now and it's bothersome.

I mean Tina Turner, Jimmy Buffett, Jeff Beck, Gary Wright, Robbie Robertson, George Winston, Wayne Shorter, Burt Bacharach, Tom Verlaine, etc. And some of these people were not hat old that died this year. It's so sad to me that the golden era is not just over, but the original contributors are all kicking off as well.

At least Mick & Keith, Paul & Ringo, and Dylan are still around and all of them crossed over to the dark side of life a few times and made it back to tell the tales.

Last edited:
Surprised that none of the Obits or comments left ANYWHERE mention his radio show INNERVIEW which ran from 1975 - 1986 and aired all over the Country every week. The show, like all shows back then, was issued to the Radio Stations on Vinyl. Definitely the BEST interview show featuring the Classic Rock greats of the time....and the up and coming early 80's "MTV" bands. It wasnt like the Robert W. Morgan "Special of the Week" show which was mostly music with little interview segments thrown in between cuts. You can probably find these shows on EBAY quite easily and Im sure by now somebody has burned the hundreds of shows to some form of Digital for all to enjoy. Check em out

Back