Recoil - subHuman

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrMabuse2001

Got the new 2 disc set from Recoil aka Alan Wilder, ex of Depeche Mode which has been released in the UK in a 2 disc edition. CD + DVD with stereo/5.1 DD and DTS mixes as well as "alternate ambient" version of the album and music videos.
Dark record for sure which continues the "southern gospel/blues" feel of the last album.
Very aggressive surround mix which took me a few listens to really start to dig.
Apparently this 2 discer will be released in North America sometime but you never know...
Any multi-region player (Oppo) will play it just fine.
Recommended!!!
/\/\

Got the new 2 disc set from Recoil aka Alan Wilder, ex of Depeche Mode which has been released in the UK in a 2 disc edition. CD + DVD with stereo/5.1 DD and DTS mixes as well as "alternate ambient" version of the album and music videos.
Dark record for sure which continues the "southern gospel/blues" feel of the last album.
Very aggressive surround mix which took me a few listens to really start to dig.
Apparently this 2 discer will be released in North America sometime but you never know...
Any multi-region player (Oppo) will play it just fine.
Recommended!!!
/\/\

Just picked up my Domestic US version with NTSC DVD bonus disc yesterday at Virgin in NYC. Originally ordered it with CD Wow, but they have been out of stock since the original release date. Excellent DTS (96/24) mix - not for the faint of heart - apocalyptic, hellhound on your trail blues mixed with ambient electronica. Not sure if that works on paper but it makes for great listening. Wilder collaborates alternately with the Joe Richardson Express ( a journeyman bluesman and band from Louisiana) - not exactly a household name but a very respectable roots blues player. Also featured on vocals on 2 tracks is the waifish, chanteussy vocals of Carla Trevaskis - very reminiscent of Kate Bush. Also included is an ambient (albeit in PCM stereo) mix of the entire album along with 5 videos (also stereo only) from previous albums.

Not party music but worthwhile and original. In light of the spate of new surround titles this sure beats watching the grass grow over at BSM.

Wanted to bump this post as I just had another listen last night and am continually impressed. It's a great, sonic, ambient mix. The melding of the blues and electronica is not something one would expect to work, but it does. Alan Wilder was very instrumental in shaping Depeche Mode's sound when he was with them. He was the mad scientist behind the console. If you like the dark elements behind Violator and SOFAD, this is like tapping into the main vein!

Listening to some clips on their site. Pretty rich sounding stereo mix, so I imagine the 5.1 is pretty good! Like the music too.

Back