REO Speedwagon Quad 8 Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

Just wondering about the REO Speedwagon Q8 Mixes. Anyone ever hear these Q8's? How do they sound? Are they nice, fun, and aggressive mixes. I know REO Speedwagon had some rockin' jams back in the day. Hell, that one song off of their Nine Lives album (1979) "Only The Strong Survive" is a straight up head banger.

The 2 quad tapes are This Time We Mean It, and Lost In A Dream. Just curious... I hear that Reelin' off of this time we mean it is an awesome jam

Thanks for any info!

-Russ

Dear Russ,

I just noticed this post today, don't know if you ever got any responses. I came across an SQ lp of "Lost in a Dream" today. If you haven't found a decoded version yet, would be happy to get it done one and shared one way or another. Let me know if still interested.

I do have Lost in a Dream Q8 - it's a pretty discrete mix, but nothing that I would call stellar. Classic Rock mix drums in front, vocals split front/rear. Instruments in each corner. I don't recall any spinning effects or studio trickery. Just a static rock mix.

You're right, fairly straightforward--like the band during this early period, and nothing like the overdone prats they came in the '80s. My only problem with REO at this time was that their material wasn't terribly interesting; again, basic rock, but more potential than anything else. Their live album, though, had some energy and kick.

Bottom line: conventional Columbia/Epic quad mixes, and that was usually well separated, predictable, only as exciting as the music and material allowed. With REO, for me that still means at best modest.

ED :)

Back