Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this album is listed in the quad discography, but when I look up Epic ECPJ5/6 in Discogs or on eBay the labels clearly state "stereo," and I see no mention of "quad" or "SQ" in any of the labels or associated artwork. What documentation suggests that this version is SQ? Can anyone post images showing the quad designation for this recording?
Makes me wonder as well, has anyone play tested it? It could be one of those "stealth" single inventory SQ recordings with just audience in the rear. I wasn't even aware of it before; another recording to add to my want list! The Beck, Bogart & Appice Live album might be a great album or (more likely) a bit of a disappointment. It is unlikely to be an in the middle of the band recording.

So this album is listed in the quad discography, but when I look up Epic ECPJ5/6 in Discogs or on eBay the labels clearly state "stereo," and I see no mention of "quad" or "SQ" in any of the labels or associated artwork. What documentation suggests that this version is SQ? Can anyone post images showing the quad designation for this recording?
Please provide a link to the page that lists this in the discography as i cannot find it.

Please provide a link to the page that lists this in the discography as i cannot find it.
This may be an answer to my question. The entry was previously listed in the popular discography. The link shown below is current. The spreadsheet below was lifted from the discography years ago.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
Beck, Bogart & Appice.EpicEQ-32140(SQ)
Beck, Bogart & Appice.EpicEAQ-32140(Q8)
Beck, Bogart & Appice.CBS/SonyECPN-17 (Later ECPN-37)(SQ)[Japan]
Beck, Bogart & Appice-Live. [2 LP]EpicECPJ5/6(SQ)[Japan]
Blow by Blow.EpicPEQ-33409(SQ)
Blow by Blow.EpicEAQ-33409(Q8)
Jeff Beck Group.EpicEQ-31331(SQ)
Jeff Beck Group.EpicEAQ-31331(Q8)
Jeff Beck Group.CBS/SonyECPN-17 (Later ECPN-36)(SQ)[Japan]
Jeff Beck Group.Artiste StyleRK-006(SQ)[Taiwan]
Rough & Ready.EpicEQ-30973(SQ)
Rough & Ready.EpicEAQ-30973(Q8)
Rough & Ready.EpicQ-64619(SQ)[England]
Rough & Ready.CBS/SonyECPN-13 (Later ECPN-35)(SQ)[Japan]
Wired.EpicPEQ-33849(SQ)
Wired.EpicEAQ-33849(Q8)
Wired.EpicQAL 33849 (EPCO 86012)(SQ)[Israel]

The spreadsheet is an outdated version. Perhaps in your updated entries you scrubbed the entry because you found it to not be quad after all. Please advise.

I investigated this album (Beck, Bogert & Appice - Live) about as much as you can do for an album only released in Japan, and came to the conclusion that it was stereo only. CBS/Sony Japan were the patent and copyright holders for the SQ system, so they had a vested interest in supporting and promoting it, and all the other Japan-exclusive live albums that the label did (Andy Williams An Evening With, Mountain Twin Peaks, Santana Lotus, Percy Faith Live, Michel Legrand Live in Japan, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77 Live, and several others) made no attempt to hide that they were SQ-encoded, with the logo on the front and back cover, and also on the labels like all the other CBS/Sony SQ quad releases. I think the BBA Live album was just a smidge too early (mid-'73) as most of those other Japanese live quad releases are from later in the year or in 1974 before CBS/Sony Japan gave up on pop quad releases altogether.

I investigated this album (Beck, Bogert & Appice - Live) about as much as you can do for an album only released in Japan, and came to the conclusion that it was stereo only. CBS/Sony Japan were the patent and copyright holders for the SQ system, so they had a vested interest in supporting and promoting it, and all the other Japan-exclusive live albums that the label did (Andy Williams An Evening With, Mountain Twin Peaks, Santana Lotus, Percy Faith Live, Michel Legrand Live in Japan, Sergio Mendes & Brazil '77 Live, and several others) made no attempt to hide that they were SQ-encoded, with the logo on the front and back cover, and also on the labels like all the other CBS/Sony SQ quad releases. I think the BBA Live album was just a smidge too early (mid-'73) as most of those other Japanese live quad releases are from later in the year or in 1974 before CBS/Sony Japan gave up on pop quad releases altogether.
Thank you very much for your research! Dreaming Spires released a "decode" of the album which I will have to revisit, but I suppose running a script on a stereo album could produce some surround-like effects. From the little searching I have done it sure looks like stereo only. Forgive my ignorance, but if one had the waveform in the digital domain is there any telltale artifact that would visually confirm or deny the presence of SQ encoding?

This may be an answer to my question. The entry was previously listed in the popular discography. The link shown below is current. The spreadsheet below was lifted from the discography years ago.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
Beck, Bogart & Appice.EpicEQ-32140(SQ)
Beck, Bogart & Appice.EpicEAQ-32140(Q8)
Beck, Bogart & Appice.CBS/SonyECPN-17 (Later ECPN-37)(SQ)[Japan]
Beck, Bogart & Appice-Live. [2 LP]EpicECPJ5/6(SQ)[Japan]
Blow by Blow.EpicPEQ-33409(SQ)
Blow by Blow.EpicEAQ-33409(Q8)
Jeff Beck Group.EpicEQ-31331(SQ)
Jeff Beck Group.EpicEAQ-31331(Q8)
Jeff Beck Group.CBS/SonyECPN-17 (Later ECPN-36)(SQ)[Japan]
Jeff Beck Group.Artiste StyleRK-006(SQ)[Taiwan]
Rough & Ready.EpicEQ-30973(SQ)
Rough & Ready.EpicEAQ-30973(Q8)
Rough & Ready.EpicQ-64619(SQ)[England]
Rough & Ready.CBS/SonyECPN-13 (Later ECPN-35)(SQ)[Japan]
Wired.EpicPEQ-33849(SQ)
Wired.EpicEAQ-33849(Q8)
Wired.EpicQAL 33849 (EPCO 86012)(SQ)[Israel]

The spreadsheet is an outdated version. Perhaps in your updated entries you scrubbed the entry because you found it to not be quad after all. Please advise.
Not quad

RE BBA -LIVE

I'm certainly behind Steely's info regarding this disc , as a Stereo set .
In as much as I wanted it to be quad....there was absolutely no evidence on the jacket that it was quad , back when I came across a Japanese copy some 50 years ago.
Disappointed, yes.
And even more so as I've discovered Sony encoded many of their catalogs Live In Japan albums .(as Steely has pointed out)

Makes me wonder why OD had it on his website ???.....as I'm told over and over again, ...."only "he knows what is encoded"!!??, ya right , and oh of course!
I do support some upmixes FWIW , so why not tell us it is so?

Oh well , nuff said about that.

Well Mark, I think I have an entry for the discography.
I checked to see if it's already there , so unless you have it hidden ?

It's an Original Cast performance , I believe . Title is..

Rubber Nickels , Arkentheron -M2136 .. Enthraphonic Matrix Quadraphonic (compatible with DYNAQUAD and EV-4)
Original Cast recording by the Brooklyn College Center For Performing Arts

The album can be viewed on discogs , and it says Quadraphonic , on the cover.

Nice, I'll check it out but is Enthraphonic Matrix Quadraphonic?

Just another matrix name I suppose.
I think it qualifies as 1 - it does say QUADRAPHONIC On the top of the front cover....2- on the reverse it states the system is compatible with DY-4D and EV-4 matrices.

Check out the meaning for , "Anthrophony" on Wikipedia...kinda close I think.

Mark, why is there no longer any link to your Discography other than the one under your profile? I'm sure that this site had direct links to yours and many other quad oriented sites in the past. That feature should be revived and it never should have been removed in the first place. You must be pissed about it, no?

Mark, why is there no longer any link to your Discography other than the one under your profile? I'm sure that this site had direct links to yours and many other quad oriented sites in the past. That feature should be revived and it never should have been removed in the first place. You must be pissed about it, no?
Thanks for the concern and nice to hear that someone cares about the discography being a resource. I was not aware of any link other than the one in About This Forum Section and in my signature. Pissed, No, just glad to be invited here and getting more eyes on the discography's for corrections and clarifications as I am not very good at typing.

Thanks for the concern and nice to hear that someone cares about the discography being a resource. I was not aware of any link other than the one in About This Forum Section and in my signature. Pissed, No, just glad to be invited here and getting more eyes on the discography's for corrections and clarifications as I am not very good at typing.
I'm quite certain that there once were links to other sites from the main page, one being yours. As I recall another link was to Tab Pattersons site. Another to Dietrich's (Quadro-Action) "Quadro-Surround-Musicproduction".

Perhaps a false memory on my part but I don't think so! Such a page would be very useful in any case.

Rubber Nickels , Arkentheron -M2136 .. Enthraphonic Matrix Quadraphonic (compatible with DYNAQUAD and EV-4)
Original Cast recording by the Brooklyn College Center For Performing Arts

The album can be viewed on discogs , and it says Quadraphonic , on the cover.
Thanks Fizzy, appreciate it. I have added this to the Movie Soundtracks and Original Cast

I'm quite certain that there once were links to other sites from the main page, one being yours. As I recall another link was to Tab Pattersons site. Another to Dietrich's (Quadro-Action) "Quadro-Surround-Musicproduction".

Perhaps a false memory on my part but I don't think so! Such a page would be very useful in any case.
After so many years I can't recall either if a page like that existed but I do have this link page on my site that lists some of those Quad Pages on the Web-Quadraphonic Links.
It appears I have not edited it since 2022 from the file date but the page lists 2019. If anyone has any comments, additions or corrections, let me know.

Yes! Thank you. I also wondered if it was a false memory. Nope. There were important resource links somewhere up in the header of the page here at QQ. Bring back the Quad Discography link! Also, Tab's site led me here and is a great resource of information, especially for those new to the first quad era..

Mark,

I think I've stumbled upon a couple of olde quad matrix albums , via a discogs sleuthing.
At least I think they may be previously unknown ...that is unless you have them well hidden on the Quad Discography ...as I have searched , but none of these are there ? All are EV-4 btw.
I think all 3 belong on the popular listing , as they seem to be Jazz Oriented.

Titles:

1971 Florida All State High School Band Orchestra , Chorus-Stage-Band
Silver Crest Records FLSE -1971 3 LP Quad BOX SET EV-4

Leon Breedon - A Jazz Clinic, Crest College Jazz Series , North Tennessee State University Jazz Lab Band
Crest Records CSB -1003 LP EV-4

P.M.A. Jazz Ensemble , Crest College Jazz Series , Evan Solot Director
Crest Records CSB -1002 LP EV-4

The first title indicates EV-4 quad at the bottom page one of the discogs notes.

The 2nd and third titles indicate EV-4 on the vinyl stamper paper and can be seen on discogs.

I thought i-d have a look see on discogs re Crest Records and their Silver Crest labels and more commonly known Golden Crest label. Three Record labels all told.
Very Interesting was a note on a Golden Crest Record on their encoding .
It's stated they used (for SQ) a CBS SQ encoder thru Stereo 4 to obtain the final SQ Encode ??? At least that's the way I read it . Now it could just be a CBS SQ Encoder to get a (Stereo-4) or (quadraphonic) album in SQ matrix. It's all in the terminology I suppose. I guess it makes sense calling quadraphonic, stereo 4 as well.

Yes! Thank you. I also wondered if it was a false memory. Nope. There were important resource links somewhere up in the header of the page here at QQ. Bring back the Quad Discography link! Also, Tab's site led me here and is a great resource of information, especially for those new to the first quad era..
Ha! Replying to my own post!
I read New Posts from all forums. A direct link is much better for a resource such as this, maybe it was lost in the transition to new forum software?
The Discography is under Forums -> Legacy Multichannel Sound & Systems -> Mark Anderson's "Quad Discography" Discussion -> About This Forum Section. So it is a title of a thread starter post within a subforum within a forum. I usually turn to Google to navigate to it. Maybe there are still links to important resources on the main page and I'm not seeing it?

This is a big error if it is a software issue, those resources help guide one through the history and technology of quad. Sort of companion texts to everyday conversations. 'Tis a shame to turn to a search engine for something that deserves and/or was intended to be here!

I found out that the links are still there but not on top (IMHO where it should be) but in the sidebar. I normally have the sidebar turned off, I find it very annoying taking up too much of the screen. To see the sidebar go to Account details, then preferences then uncheck "Hide sidebar on desktop view".

Back