Restored Floyd at Pompeii and new Maben Floyd documentary at Montreal Film Festival

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I posted this over at SH.tv yesterday, but I wanted to repost here as well, because aside from QQ being my spiritual home and being very proud of what I've done, I figured there were probabably some people here who didn't frequent that forum and might be interested...

----

Man, I've been dying to post this for months...

First to get the less exciting of these two bits of information out there first:

There will be a free outdoor screening of the restored 1974 version of Pink Floyd at Pompeii at the Festival de Nouveau Cinema in Montreal on October 10th at 7pm. This version comes from Adrian Maben's personal 35mm copy of the film, which was transferred to HDCAM SR and restored using the ArchAngel Ph.C HD at Vectracom in Paris. I've seen the tape and it looks fantastic, and the film is presented in it's original 4:3 aspect ratio. There were two soundtracks on the tape, a two channel stereo, and a 4 channel LCRS, which I didn't know existed and is different from the quadraphonic mix of the film. I'm not sure which one they'll use at the screening, but the fidelity of both is very good. Adrian himself will be in attendance to present the film, as well.

The more exciting news is that Adrian has prepared a new Pink Floyd documentary called Chit Chat With Oysters, which will screen for the first time at the same festival, on Oct 11th at 9pm and again on the 14th at 1pm. This documentary is culled from black and white footage shot in December 1971 at the Europa-Sonor studio in Paris, when the band was mixing and overdubbing the Pompeii multitrack. You will have seen about 8 minutes of this footage in the Director's Cut DVD of Pompeii, but this new documentary runs almost 60 minutes long.

I worked for a company that does film scanning and grading, and in December of last year through a series of wonderful coincidences, I was put in touch with Adrian through an intermediary after mentioning to someone that I'd be happy to do some of that kind of work for free in order to learn how to use some of the equipment we had. When I got a message saying that this person had 'a contact with some rare Pink Floyd film', I was expecting that I might scan some bootleg 8mm or 16mm concert film from the 70's, but within a week I was speaking to Adrian on the phone, and he was telling me he had 5 rusty cans of professionally shot black and white 16mm reversal film of Pink Floyd in the studio in the early 70's that he had found while cleaning his Paris apartment. I explained to him that I was still learning to use the equipment and that while I had a good eye, it would take me some time to complete the job because I was not only new to using the equipment, but also that I'd have to do the work on evenings and weekends outside of my regular working hours. I probably don't have to say how exciting of an opportunity this is, and I think he could sense that in me - I remember him saying 'I have every confidence in you' several times in those early days.

So in January 2013, Adrian came over on the Eurostar to London with his suitcase of old cans of film and left them with me. It's a bit scary holding something so precious in your hands, but I was determined to treat this footage with the care it deserved. I called in every favour I had at work and first had all the footage ultrasonically cleaned and all the splices fixed. Adrian had cut the rushes to ribbons in 1971 to make a short 15 minute bit of reportage that was shown on French television, and when he was done, he spliced everything together as an afterthought because he couldn't bear to throw the footage away, even though it seemed like it would have no use. In 2013, all the tape used for the splices was sticky and falling apart, and needed to be replaced.

I scanned the film at full 2K resolution on a Spirit 2K scanner over the course of two days, and then spent almost every free evening and weekend I had for the next 2 months grading the film using a Baselight grading system. Part of the reason for the length of time it took was obviously my inexperience with the equipment (I'd only worked on my grandparents wedding film and a few other bits before this) but the main reason was that I spent an inordinate amount of time with every single shot, until I was convinced it was as perfect as possible. The Baselight system has a cornucopia of tools that allowed me to get the most out of the film and surgically fix any of the shortcomings in the source material, which were mild at best - the film is shot and lit very well, and the results, I think, are stunning. I showed much of my work to some of our senior staff just to make sure I was on the right track.

Now about the film, you're probably saying 'I saw the black and white footage in the Pompeii Director's Cut and it didn't look that great', and you're totally right. It appears that when that transfer was done in 2000, it was just a 'one light' which means the entire film is transferred without any compensation for changes in exposure etc. It was also cropped from it's original 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 along with the rest of the film in the directors cut version. The end result is that the footage looks terrible - the blacks aren't dark black, and the whites aren't bright white, everything just looks grey. Most of the interviews were originally framed really tightly, and as you see on the Directors Cut DVD, this results in shots where all you can see is the eyes and nose of the person that's talking, with the mouth and top of the head cropped off by the 16:9 aspect ratio. When I transferred the film, I did it as zoomed out as possible, and then cropped the film gate out of the shots one at a time so that the maximum amount of picture information was retained. I prevailed upon Adrian to keep the film at 4:3 just as the source material was, and he agreed, so what you're seeing is exactly what was on the original negative.

I haven't seen the finished film yet, but the rushes are amazing, and capture the band at a pivotal moment in their career. In addition to the band's lunch in the studio canteen which you've seen some of in the Director's Cut, Adrian conducted in-depth interviews with each member of the band and got some amazing insight in to the mindsets of the band by being in turns friendly and likeable and then also insightful, incisive and probing. You really get a sense of the different band members personalities at the time: Rick - the thinker, Nick - the joker, David - the everyman, and Roger - the enigma. Unlike the colour interviews with the band from Abbey Road in 1973 that find them either a bit high or determined to obfuscate, the interviews in this film, and the footage of the band working (and playing) in the studio are incredibly real and honest and show a band both incredibly focused but also still having fun.

Gosh, I've written a lot, but if anyone has any questions about either this film or the Pompeii film, I'd be happy to answer them. I spent a lot of time with Adrian when we were working on this and asked him tons of technical questions about the film and the band, so I'd be happy to pass on any knowledge I can. I kind of feel like 'long time listener, first time caller' with this post. Perhaps a few interesting facts to start things off:

1. The Pompeii multitracks still exist. According to Adrian, they were in his possession for a long time, and then Roger Waters asked for the tapes at some point, and still has them. Adrian believes they are in a vault somewhere in Los Angeles.

2. The main reason for the rear projection shots in Pompeii is that they ran out of film in Pompeii and the financiers would not spring for any more film stock. Adrian knew that once they got back to Paris and showed the investors the half-filmed versions of the songs that they'd have to put more money in to the project to finish the shoot, which they did.

3. Chit Chat With Oysters contains the only Pompeii outtake known to exist - a 4 minute continuous tracking shot around the band and amplifiers during the instrumental part of Echoes, Part 1. The shot moves in the opposite direction of the shot in the Pompeii film, which leads me to believe this is an alternate performance as well. Unfortunately this is the only one that was in the rushes, I believe Adrian had this footage made (converted from 35mm colour to 16mm black and white) for the short Pompeii reportage segment that was aired on French TV in 1972.

Wow "The Pompeii multitracks still exist."

I'd always wanted to hear Meddle as a true Quad/5.1 album, an Immersion edition of Meddle with this in 5.1 would be the next best thing. :)

Wow good stuff! sure hope Roger does the right thing with those multitracks

Wow "The Pompeii multitracks still exist."

I'd always wanted to hear Meddle as a true Quad/5.1 album, an Immersion edition of Meddle with this in 5.1 would be the next best thing. :)

I also would like Meddle to be the next Floyd surround release (3rd best after DSotM and WYWH in my book) and sans that, this live version of Meddle in surround would be nest best. But whichever it is, I would hope it wasn't an Immersion release rip-off. Compare what's on those releases vs. one of SW's cd/dvd sets: maybe a little more content (music-wise), along w/ some interesting and some useless swag- for 5-6 times the price.

I also would like Meddle to be the next Floyd surround release (3rd best after DSotM and WYWH in my book) and sans that, this live version of Meddle in surround would be nest best. But whichever it is, I would hope it wasn't an Immersion release rip-off. Compare what's on those releases vs. one of SW's cd/dvd sets: maybe a little more content (music-wise), along w/ some interesting and some useless swag- for 5-6 times the price.

I remember taping Meddle off the radio when it came out, from John Peel's (UK DJ) late night programme when he played the whole album. My order would be WYWH then either DSOTM or Meddle 2nd and 3rd, never been able to decide. Saw Floyd do "Echoes" in Quad at the Knebworth Festival in 1975, so I've always wanted it in surround.

absolutely incredible! wish I lived in Montreal, would love to see the films -bring them down to NYC :)

I remember taping Meddle off the radio when it came out, from John Peel's (UK DJ) late night programme when he played the whole album. My order would be WYWH then either DSOTM or Meddle 2nd and 3rd, never been able to decide. Saw Floyd do "Echoes" in Quad at the Knebworth Festival in 1975, so I've always wanted it in surround.

Awesome- that was the WYWH tour? All of Dark Side, all of WYWH and Echoes as the encore? Had to be the best Floyd tour. I didn't catch them until the next tour, supporting Animals. That was amazing, but the previous tour must have been even more mind-blowing.

We have similar tastes, though for me DSotM edges out Meddle, for its unity if nothing else. But Echoes is probably the song I'd put in the #1 slot, though if you put Shine On parts I-V together w/ VI-IX, that would be a tough call. How was Echoes in quad? The Animals tour had surround sound also; we were straight back, 1st row in the upper section and there was a bank of speakers directly behind us. The concert started w/ the sound of a jet taking off, which emanated from the speakers right behind us- what a rush! Perfect way to start a show that definitely blasted us off...

Awesome- that was the WYWH tour? All of Dark Side, all of WYWH and Echoes as the encore? Had to be the best Floyd tour. I didn't catch them until the next tour, supporting Animals. That was amazing, but the previous tour must have been even more mind-blowing.

We have similar tastes, though for me DSotM edges out Meddle, for its unity if nothing else. But Echoes is probably the song I'd put in the #1 slot, though if you put Shine On parts I-V together w/ VI-IX, that would be a tough call. How was Echoes in quad? The Animals tour had surround sound also; we were straight back, 1st row in the upper section and there was a bank of speakers directly behind us. The concert started w/ the sound of a jet taking off, which emanated from the speakers right behind us- what a rush! Perfect way to start a show that definitely blasted us off...

It was in July 1975 so might have been the first airing of the whole of WYWH. They did all of DSOTM, a model plane on a wire from a tower shot overhead & exploded behind the stage which almost didn't happen when a guy out of his head climbed the tower, Echoes was the encore & brilliant in Quad. All in all an amazing day got me into Quad! I remember being blown away by the surround of Money & Time. I'll have to dig out the programme, also Steve Miller Band, Roy Harper, Captain Beefheart. Animals in Quad must have been brilliant, no. 4 on my Floyd list.

It was in July 1975 so might have been the first airing of the whole of WYWH. They did all of DSOTM, a model plane on a wire from a tower shot overhead & exploded behind the stage which almost didn't happen when a guy out of his head climbed the tower, Echoes was the encore & brilliant in Quad. All in all an amazing day got me into Quad! I remember being blown away by the surround of Money & Time. I'll have to dig out the programme, also Steve Miller Band, Roy Harper, Captain Beefheart. Animals in Quad must have been brilliant, no. 4 on my Floyd list.

That whole show was fantastic. It's funny, though, I've never felt Animals was on par w/ Floyd's best, even though I got it week of release and that was the only tour I saw w/ the "classic" line-up (no disrespect to Syd, but he was only on 1 album). While I rank it #4 also, it's very close w/ Obscured by Clouds, which I feel has some better songs, but a couple weaker ones keeps it from edging out Animals.

According to the Hoffman Site a BluRay has been produced of the Pompeii concert.

The Lunatics - Pink Floyd Collector’s Club were staging their own exhibition in Turin in March. With guest of honour Adrian Maben this promised to be an event not to be missed. For full information on www.thelunatics.it
Adrian Maben presented two films about Pink Floyd: one is the documentary "Chit Chat With Oysters", with 55 minutes of unreleased tracks made during the filming of the movie "Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii"; second is the new version Blu-Ray of the film, with the restored video and multi-channel audio.
The exhibition was an outstanding success, with a large turnout over the two-day event.

Knebworth 1975 was the first airing of the song Have A Cigar, and I think the only live version performed with Roy Harper on vocals.

Pink Floyd did not perform the songs Welcome To The Machine or Wish You Were Here live until the 1977 Animals tour, starting in January of that year.

Ken

Knebworth 1975 was the first airing of the song Have A Cigar, and I think the only live version performed with Roy Harper on vocals.

Pink Floyd did not perform the songs Welcome To The Machine or Wish You Were Here live until the 1977 Animals tour, starting in January of that year.

Ken

Have A Cigar was always part of the 1975 tour before Knebworth.

Have A Cigar was always part of the 1975 tour before Knebworth.

Ahhh, right you are. Not so 1974. Still, gotta verify my facts before I post. I used to know this stuff off the top of my head. Attendant substances to Floyd fandom take their toll!

Apologies.

...but within a week I was speaking to Adrian on the phone...
I understand this was a long time ago, but I wonder if you still have contact with Adrian, and if so, whether you could reach out and ask him about the quad mix that was done for one version of the main Pompeii film. I wonder if he did that mix himself?

Yes yes I do crave so much to have that meddle mix on 📀 blu-ray, I wanna hear that iconic bass intro in my subwoofer

I've heard the comment that the multitracks still exist a number of times. (Subjective I know.) It's the master for the original quad mix that is apparently lost.

At least the 16 track tape that contains a copy of the original live 7 track recording must still be around. (They transferred it to overdub.) They made a new 5.1 mix from it for that big box but it's one of the damaged programs. Think heavy noise reduction artifacts with a bionic treble boost. Can't listen to that at all.

So someone made a new quad mix then? Well, I hope it puts the cinema print copy to rest! Excellent as the desperate restoration work turned out.

Anyone shared any comments on the new quad remix? Following any of the original? Differences?
I might not call the original mix just out of this world perfect and an award winning surround mix. It sure has the overall fidelity though! (If you've only heard the stereo on the directors cut DVD, the original quad sounds light years better! Even though it's a copy of a cinema print mag tracks.) The surround elements aren't just insane but they follow some of the same mix moves the band did in their live mixes. (Like the Shepard tone voices in the end of Echoes coming in the rear.) And it's a really early quad mix made either late 1971 or early 1972 that's a lot more advanced than many '70s quad mixes. (It's just not as dialed in as studio Dark Side, for example.)

I understand this was a long time ago, but I wonder if you still have contact with Adrian, and if so, whether you could reach out and ask him about the quad mix that was done for one version of the main Pompeii film. I wonder if he did that mix himself?
I had a couple brief google translate assisted email chats with him. He called the quad mix "my mix" (ie. his mix). He reiterated the quad mix master being lost and seemed happy to get a copy of "his mix" back!

I got the distinct impression that they were hoping that my work on it would turn out to be amateur rubbish and the raw mag copy transfer would be workable to them. After they heard it, it seemed like they were disappointed that the raw copy revealed no such thing. There was a comment like Bah! This is just a cinema print copy!

After a few deep dives into other material on that big box, my guess is the 5.1 remix was probably a real deal and the noise reduction distortion and treble blast were mastering faux pas after the fact. The bionic treble matched a couple other damaged programs in the set. That box... They had mistakes like one channel of the ultra rare ultra clean 1967 stereo recording polarity reversed! Goes without saying what that does! That was at least fixable. The treble blasted tracks are not.

Unfortunately I haven't spoken to him in several years, but from my understanding back then the quad mix was done circa 1974 for the theatrical run of the expanded version (the one with the Dark Side studio bits) of the film.

I believe the quad mix was (and still is) MIA - maybe it's languishing in a vault somewhere, but it could just as easily have been sent back to France where all the film elements resided, in which case it's been destroyed. I'm sure everyone knows this story by now, but around 1980 the custodian of the vault where all the Pompeii elements were stored wanted to make space so he tried to contact the original owners of the films that resided there. Unfortunately the company that had produced the Pompeii film had gone bust, so the custodians calls went unreturned, and so he had everything incinerated. Adrian was obviously aggrieved about this (and with good reason) because he felt like it would've been very little further effort for the vault custodians to find and contact him, especially given that his name was all over the film cannisters, and that both he and the vault were located in central Paris during these years.

Adrian definitely didn't do the quad mix himself (he's a film director) and I'm not sure what his level of involvement was at all - he told me back then that the miraculous survival of the multitrack from the aforementioned Paris vault purge was due to the fact that "Roger had it sent to LA" (or words to that effect) in 1974 so that the quad mix (by engineers unknown) could be done.

It's interesting to see this surfacing online now, because it was my understanding that for years they'd been working toward a Blu-Ray release of the restored Pompeii film with this as bonus material. Maybe the inclusion of some of this material on the Early Years box set changed things, I dunno. It was interesting hearing Adrian talk about Universal back then - he said the directors cut only came about because there was a guy at the studio back then ('90s) who was a big Floyd fan and basically made the project happen, and that he'd subsequently left the company. Just to add credence to that story about poor level of communication between director and studio, after I posted the same information in my initial post over on the Hoffman forums back in 2013, I had someone from UMG private message me asking if I could put them in touch with Adrian, which I obviously did. Wild to think that these big conglomerates don't know what they have until someone posts about it on the internet, but I guess it is what it is.

On a personal note, it was a real trip to see this again, I worked on this film in London about two months before the company that employed me went into bankruptcy and I lost my immigration status and was forced to leave the country as a result of their government's terrible immigration policies. It seems like a lifetime ago, and a world away, and kind of like a fever dream now - I actually had a small hand in something directly related to Pink Floyd, what a trip.

..and lastly, if you're going to watch this, do it on the Cinematheque Francaise Website rather than youtube - you get to see the whole film in great quality (the embed is a Vimeo player), without the Pompeii footage cut out, and you're supporting an institution that makes this kind of stuff available.

https://www.cinematheque.fr/henri/film/121170-chit-chat-with-oysters-adrian-maben-2013/

Back